Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: why is practice material valued less than game used?

I don't really think 4K is the norm though....GF also sold a perfectly matched P. Manning practice Jersey for a couple hundred bucks and Mears has an Elway that hasn't even hit $150 yet with the auction ending soon???

I've always been tempted by BP jersey's, but never bought one. After watching a few "Clubhouse Tours" on YouTube i've realized that they wear these things more than I thought. But since I have limited funds, i'd rather spend it on something that was used in an actual game. Having said that, some MLB BP jersey's are used in ST games...

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    I don't really think 4K is the norm though....GF also sold a perfectly matched P. Manning practice Jersey for a couple hundred bucks and Mears has an Elway that hasn't even hit $150 yet with the auction ending soon???
    Fully agreed! The Staubach is more the exception, than the rule.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

Practice used does nothing for me, mostly because it's not used in a game, you don't see the items when you watch TV...to me owning a practice jersey is like owning the blue jeans that Justin Verlander was wearing when he got his superstitious taco bell dinner the night before his no hitter(either one) obviously I'm joking, but to me practice items are as useless as a players street clothes or the t-shirt they wear to work out in duing the off season, just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post
    Fully agreed! The Staubach is more the exception, than the rule.
    That Staubach Navy Midshipmen Practice Jersey is a thing of beauty. Get this from the auction description: "This jersey comes to us with no provenance and was originally sold on eBay." Wonder where it came from.
    The description also says that Staubach is the last player from a military academy to win the Heisman Trophy. Pretty cool imho.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

BP balls would have some value because they're more easibly obtainable than g-u balls (More abundant and less competition.) If one doesn't sell on the Internet, it's likely related to authenticity concerns.

The Charlotte Knights are the AAA club of the White Sox. They sell g-u International League balls at the finale of every homestand, but occasionally a few White Sox BP balls are mixed in the box at the same $6 price as the Knights' g-u ones. The reason is that the g-u balls were used for BP before going to the store, and some balls sent from the White Sox were also used for Knights' BP. Whoever gathers them for sale just puts them in the same box. And they'll sell there, because many Charlotte fans will pay $6 for a White Sox team-used item, rather than more for a White Sox ball that's harder to get.

Regarding authenticity issues, the South Carolina Gamecocks have refused to buy the final ball used in the dramatic walkoff win for the 2010 National Championship. This ball was also the last used in a College World Series after 61 seasons at old Rosenblatt Stadium, thus has much historic significance. But the ball was kept by a UCLA player for so long that the Gamecocks don't trust its authenticity.