Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Lou Lampson, 100% Authentic, and American Memorabilia

it seems much of this talk about lampson & ami centers around 'mistakes'. lampson fans say 'he just made a mistake. he's human. it's just a mistake, we all make them'.

however, i don't think these can be called 'mistakes'. it would be an understatement to call them egregious examples of mind-numbing stupidity. a mistake is what MEARS made with the recent VintageAuthentics Pujols jersey. the "5" font on the front was slightly larger and very slightly different than it should've been. not too difficult to catch, but easily missed.

saying the Orioles wore St.Patricks Day green jerseys and further
    explaining that a particular St.Pats jersey "compared to other St.Pats jerseys worn by the Orioles" when in fact they did not wear St.Pats jerseys and Orioles St.Pats green jerseys do not even exist is not a 'mistake'. at best, it's a completely uninformed, uneducated, ignorant pile of braindead rubbish. at worst, it's a lie.

these aren't 'mistakes', especially for someone of Lampsons supposed calibre. i don't think anyone has an issue with someone committing an honest 'mistake' but what Lampson does goes far beyond mistakes.

Rudy.

am i the only one who thinks it's odd that 100% Authentic has 2 authenticators with the exact same initials? lou lampson, lon lewis.
    who's next? larry lovely? lem llewelyn? what are the odds?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard
    Pujols
    Is there any way possible you can post photos of your 60s and 70s Football jerseys, before sending them to Mr. Lampson? I believe it would be great practice for this forum. By the way, in the business world, if you make a few "honest" mistakes, then you get fired. Honestly.
    The pics have been listed under the title which includes staubach and bradshaw. Thanks!

Rudy,

Do you think the msitake that MEARS made on the Griffey Jr. rookie jersey in the Vinatge auction not as bad as Lou's mistake. Griffey never wore "jr" on the back of his jerseys. What about Dave's recent mistake on the AROD rokie bat. The difference between the true year 97' and a rookie bat is only about $3,000 - no big deal right? My point is MEARS makes as many mistakes as Lou, maybe more now that Dan Knoll is not there for baseball........

Regards,

Dave

Dave,

No I suppose it wasn't a 'mistake'. I brought up the MEARS mistake with the recent Pujols jersey solely to illustrate an example of a 'mistake, not to hold MEARS up as some kind of great company.
    The intent of my main post was to differentiate between genuine mistakes and monumental lapses in logic and to prevent those lapses being referred to as mistakes. You can't lump them all in.
    It seemed that any time someone make a huge blunder, many would say "oh its just a mistake" and my point was that it's not a mistake. Not for guys of this supposed calibre. Professionals don't make the sorts of serious and blindingly obvious mistakes that Lampson makes. If Lampson was a chef, he'd take a spoon and conclude it was meant for toasting bread. That's the level of errors that he makes. It just doesn't happen in the real world. Professional chefs never wonder what a spoon is and professional authenticators don't "stand behind" jerseys that never existed. Though they all make mistakes, they just don't make those kinds of mistakes.
    I think the "Griffey Jr" debacle is not a mistake. I think it's a Lampson-sized error. Any professional authenticator would've caught it in a few minutes. How could they not? Personally I'd love to hear from MEARS as to how an error that would've been spotted by a complete amateur managed to elude them. I won't hold my breath though.

Rudy.

MEARS did not evaluate Griffey Jr

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU
    Rudy,

Do you think the msitake that MEARS made on the Griffey Jr. rookie jersey in the Vinatge auction not as bad as Lou's mistake. Griffey never wore "jr" on the back of his jerseys. What about Dave's recent mistake on the AROD rokie bat. The difference between the true year 97' and a rookie bat is only about $3,000 - no big deal right? My point is MEARS makes as many mistakes as Lou, maybe more now that Dan Knoll is not there for baseball........

Regards,

Dave
    Everyone-
    I had an email conversation with Troy at MEARS. The Griffey Jr. jersey was listed in Vintage Authentics as having a MEARS letter, when in fact there was no such letter. MEARS never wrote a worksheet on that piece. Notice there's no worksheet posted on the Vintage Authentics site
    http://vintageauthentics.at.truition...aunbr=64525405
    Eric

Eric,

Thanks for the info. I called Vintage during the auction and they told me it was evaluated by MEARS, but they didn't get a chance to get up the worksheet? which if it is true is kinda messed of Vintage to up that they sell it then as game worn without any paperwork....Did Troy comment on any of the other problem items that were discussed by forum members here including the Jordan and McGwire jerseys?

Thanks,
    Dave