Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Historic Auctions has launched.......

Just a reminder, please do not use any profanities on this website. Foul language will not be tolerated.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier
    CEO - Game Used Universe

Hi everybody,

I want to preface this by saying I have not seen the Felix Potvin Toronto Maple Leafs jersey up close, nor has Heritage Auctions asked MeiGray to authenticate it.

But I would hesitate to bid on this blue Potvin jersey based on two obvious problems I see that need to be researched more exhaustively:

1) In 1991-92, every NHL game-worn jersey was supposed to be worn with an NHL shield next to a larger CCM logo on the right back hip. The small CCM logo and absence of shield dates this jersey to the late 1980s, perhaps 1989-90 ... but no later.

2) In 1991-92, every NHL game-worn jersey was supposed to be worn on ice with an NHL 75th anniversary patch on the front of the jersey.

This jersey up for auction has neither.

Now this jersey is described in the auction has being Potvin's first professional gamer. In that case, photos or video should be available to see if Potvin wore this jersey with two obvious discrepancies.

Without specific indications on a letter of authenticity that these two obvious oversights are explainable, or visible in a photo or video of Potvin in his first NHL games, I would not bid on this jersey.

Now there are other possibilities. The description states that the jersey came directly from the Toronto Maple Leafs (is there a team letter or receipt to back this claim?) It is possible this is a recycled jersey used by Potvin in an NHL pre-season. This is not an unusual occurence, but needs to be researched, as well.

And that fact would refute the claim that this is his first professional jersey, a claim that should not be made without hard facts.

This is only a small example of why MeiGray, and MeiGray Vintage has ventured to upgrade the level of authentication in the sports-collecting hobby.

No credible authenticator should allow these obvious "problems" or "questions" to go unanswered. Allowing an item like this to go into an auction without answering those questions is irresponsible.

And if those questions have been answered, why are they not in the jersey description?

If the authenticator did not answer those questions, or explain those problems, that jersey has not received a thorough authentication. And if the authenticator is not aware of the NHL shield and NHL 75th patch issues from 1991-92 to raise the question, the authenticator lacks the expertise to authenticate NHL jerseys, because this is an elementary fact of NHL jerseys.

Respectfully,

Barry Meisel

Re: Historic Auctions: Jerry West GU Lakers Jersey

I had a similiar problem with my inquiries regarding the Jerry West GU Jersey in the auction. I asked for the tagging and was told that there wasn't any on the jersey. Everyone knows that the 1960-70's Laker's jersey were made by Tiernan from Glendale California and that the tags are on the front. Asked twice for verification, they took my number but never called backed.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman87
    Is ASI and Historic Auctions the same company.
    Hello Everyone-

Given the questions on the forum regarding the relationship between ASI and Historic Auctions, we have been contacted and been asked to post the following:

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS BEING POSTED ON BEHALF OF THOSE INVOLVED WITH ASI AND/OR HISTORIC AUCTIONS AND IS NOT COMING FROM THE FORUM OWNERS:

"ASI AS YOU KNOW STANDS FOR AUTHENTIC SPORTS INC. ASI HAS A CLIENTAL BASE IN BASEBALL AND FOOTBALL AMOUNTING TO OVER 50 CLIENTS. ASI SPECIALIZES IN GAME USED AND SIGNED MEMORABILIA DIRECTLY FROM ITS ATHLETES. ALONG WITH THIS ASI HAS RECENTLY ADDED TWO OTHER UNIQUE SERVICES. THE TWO OF THEM BEING AUTHENTIC SPORTS MARKETING AND ASI AUTHENTICATION. THE MARKETING ASPECT LETS US DO MORE FOR OUR PLAYERS INCLUDING ENDORSEMENT AND ADVERTISING DEALS. OUR AUTHENTICATION PROGRAM ALLOWS US TO TAKE IN ITEMS FROM OUR COLLECTING CLIENTS AND MAKE SURE THERE COLLECTION IS COMPLETELY AUTHENTIC EVEN IF A PARTICULAR ITEM DID NOT ORIGINALLY COME DIRECTLY FROM US.

AS FOR HISTORIC AUCTIONS, A COMPLETELY SEPARATE ENTITY. HISTORIC AUCTIONS IS RUN BY JAMES BROWN AND IS OWNED BY SEVERAL ATHLETES AND INVESTORS. ASI DID PARTICIPATE WITH THE AUTHENTICATION OF THE GAME USED BASEBALL (WHICH IS NOTABLY THEIR EXPERTISE), AS WELL AS CONSIGNED A FEW ITEMS. THAT IS THE ONLY AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER."

If you have any further questions, please feel free to direct them to the people at ASI and/or Historic Auctions.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier

Banned

Smile Re: Historic Auctions has launched.......

I was just wondering, was there an internet in 1969?

Joel

Hello Joel-

Based on the following information, I think you can argue the internet, at least in a conceptual manner, did exist in 1969:

http://www.isoc.org/internet/history....shtml#Origins

As to whether or not we joined in 1969...well, while I'd like to say we were part of that initial movement, I think most of us were a bit too young to be in at that stage. Instead, we will have to relegate ourselves to being part of a movement that we believe will revolutionize game-used collecting.

Said another way, I will check to see why the system is showing some of us with a "Join Date: Dec 1969". Until I find out the reason, please just consider us as "Old Timers".

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier
    CEO - Game Used Universe