Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Recent Finds

Recent Finds

My wife and I went to the Sun-Times Sports show last night in Rosemont, IL. There were a fair amount of dealers and I was surprised to find some nice gloves. Attached are pics of two I got really reasonable - the D&M is an Earl Clark - very high quality. I can't find this in Joe's Glove Catalog source book. Must be from early to mid 1930's. Second is a Great Western Co. glove endorsed by Alex "Al" Sparra. My internet search has turned up that he played for the Washington Senators but that is all I found - no year, stats, etc. If anyone knows more about him, please let me know. Thanks

brett
    Vintage Brett's Equipment Sale
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagebrett
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Recent Finds

Brett, nice gloves. I've never heard of Alex Sparra, but he didn't play in the Major leagues. He's not listed in the baseball encyclopedia. Perhaps he was a minor leaguer in their system that just never got the call.

On a side note, how was the show?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    On a side note, how was the show?
    The show was ok I guess. I pretty much only look at the vintage stuff - mainly bats and gloves. We went Friday night and it wasn't too crowded which is a perk for me. I though there would be more dealers but it was still a decent size show. For some reason, the prices on gloves at these type of shows is usually reasonable to very good. The price for bats are usually high and this show was no exception. The couple of sellers with just vintage equipment/memorabilia didn't seem like they sold stuff on Ebay so they must just do these type of shows which is nice because you see some stuff that isn't being sold online.