Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this Jersey from Iowa State???

I've had this jersey in my collection for several years. Is this Iowa State? Any clue to what "STATE" is represented? Late 70s-early 80s, made by Powers.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Re: Is this Jersey from Iowa State???

yeah it could be from Iowa State, i was thinking of Illinois State but their colors are black, red, and white so i cannot think of other state school that has this colors of red,yellow, and white. once again more likey it is from IOWA STATE

cheers
    marcus

that does appear to be an iowa state cyclones jersey. iowa state is located in ames, iowa. try searching their website to see if you can match the jersey to a year. i will go through my collection of ia state media guides and see if i can help out.

craig

Quote Originally Posted by dmbbfan
    that does appear to be an iowa state cyclones jersey. iowa state is located in ames, iowa. try searching their website to see if you can match the jersey to a year. i will go through my collection of ia state media guides and see if i can help out.

craig
    Thanks, any help is appreciated. Do you know what years Iowa State's team colors were red and black? When did they change? It is also made by Powers of Waterloo, IA. Thanks again.

I am pretty sure that the item pictured is a "shooters shirt" typically worn over the jersey during pre-game warmups. As such it mighbe a little harder to find in a photo. My guess is late 1960's-early 70's based on the style.

It's definitely from Iowa State. The caricature is a hawk named Herkie, although ISU's official nickname is the Cyclones. Being from the State of Iowa and collecting Iowa items (ISU, Univ. of Iowa, and Drake Univ.), I might be interested in buying this from you if you want to sell it. You can contact me at steve.silverman@usda.gov or 303-564-1297.

Quote Originally Posted by silverschmidts
    It's definitely from Iowa State. The caricature is a hawk named Herkie, although ISU's official nickname is the Cyclones. Being from the State of Iowa and collecting Iowa items (ISU, Univ. of Iowa, and Drake Univ.), I might be interested in buying this from you if you want to sell it. You can contact me at steve.silverman@usda.gov or 303-564-1297.
    not to sound rude, not trying to be. but, how long have you lived in iowa and been interested in sports? maybe you were just confused, living in iowa makes us all a little off to begin with. however, herky the hawk is the mascott for the university of iowa, in iowa city, not iowa state, in ames.

craig

Iowa State Cyclones mascot, Cy. Still don't know what kind of a bird he is...

THEN

NOW

Banned

Not for nothing but the pictures posted looks like a cardinal

i have poured through many ISU media guides from the late 70's-90's and have yet to come up with any photo of the cyclones "cy" resembling anything like the one on your jersey. possiby its older than any of my media guides. still havent looked on their website though.

suave1477, good eye.
    "Not for nothing but the pictures posted looks like a cardinal"

from the 1980-81 media guide.

in the early 1950's, the collegiate manufacturing co. of ames was one of the largest makers of stuffed animals in the nation. for some time, the co.'s pres., chev adams, had been trying to coax ISU sports info director, harry burrell, to have the schools nickname changed, because, as he put it, "we cannot make a stuffed cyclone."
    in 1955, burrell and adams approached the pep council pres about developing a contest to choose a mascot. adams told the students that his company would donate a mascot, the likeness which would be determined by a student run contest. the winner of the contest was a cardinal bird.
    another contest was held to determine the cardinals name. hte entry, cy, won. cy is short for cyclones, and the cardinals figure represents the school colors as well as the original ISU nickname.
    today, the university maintains two cy's, due to the increased demand for his appearance. each of the figures stands nearly 9ft. and costs around $2500. they are insured.
    ...............yada yada yada.........keeps going on.......nothing really important after this..........

enjoy craig