Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Positive player reaction to seeing his GAMER

I think this thread fits here.

I went to a Ray Lankford signing today and saw a few of you guys there...Jeff Scott and I caught a glimpse of one another and held up our bats. Anyway, when Ray saw my bat, he smiled BIG and took a couple of practice cuts with it. He asked how much I paid, where it came from...and who else I had in my collection. I've heard some horror stories regarding some players, but "Ray Ray" treated me like he was appreciative that I would treasure something that he used. Here are some photos:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Positive player reaction to seeing his GAMER

Just a few days ago in Phoenix. I have a Marcus McBeth bat from his days when he was first drafted as an OFer for the Athletics. He has converted into a pitcher and is trying out for the A's this season. I got him to sign it (finally after like 6 years) and he was amazed that I had it and seemed to relish taking some practice swings with it. Asked how long I have had it and such. Was pretty cool.

That really is cool that they enjoyed seeing the gamers and appreciated that you had them in your collection. That is the reaction I would expect. I realize, however, that this may be the exception rather than the norm. But cool stories, guys!

About ten years ago, Steve Finley was doing a signing, while here with the DBacks, and I brought one of his old Coopers, from his rookie days with Baltimore, for him to sign. He stood up, took a couple of cuts with it, and was talking about how much better the Cooper bats were back then; he seemed really jazzed to see it. Steve's a very relaxed and personable guy at signings, anyway - he always seems to be having at least as much fun as the fans...like a big kid.

One of my other favorite reactions came from Micah Owings, when I had him sign the bat he broke in Pittsburgh in '07 - the game in which he shut out the Pirates on the mound, and went 4 for 5 with three doubles at the plate. He sat there staring down at it, shaking his head, saying, "I wondered what happened to that bat!" and he put a cool "game broken" inscription and date on it for me. I have a nice photo of the event, showing a smiling Robby Hammock looking on.

On the other hand, I think I've told the Randy Johnson story enough times, already...

I was wearing a Ronnie Belliard gamer when Andrew Lang helped me and my duaghter get on the field for her birthday. He came up to us and said, "That's a nich shirt." We talked and took pictures for a few minutes. About 10 years ago I had Boyd Dowler sign a Redskin gamer. He smiled and said, "I'll give you $20 for that shirt!" I asked if he kept anything from his career and he said no, he had never thought to. But the further from his playing days he got the more he wished he had.

At the T Mobile Rookie Challenge game during All Star weekend, i took my Brent Barry jersey from when the Spurs player over in Europe. The jersey has red white and blue strips on the side, they are pretty cool looking. When he saw me pull the jersey out of the bag, he was so excited. He said he had one as well and loved the jersey. It was pretty cool getting to talk to him about it, you can see Chris Webber in the background. Didnt have anything for him, so didnt bother him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At Winter Warm Up this year I got my Colby Rasmus bat signed. When I brought the bat up to him he looked at it for a while then started turning it over. He smirked a little, then looked up at me and goes "Quad City?" That was pretty happy for Colby.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

awesome Dave.

didnt know Ray was going to be out, otherwise i would have made the trip.

ive been so far out of the loop the last year and a half with collecting that i dont know whos coming or going.

however, this year is looking great so far (career wise).

not sure how Ray would react with me bringing in an arm full of stuff. havent been able to see him in several years.

did he have anything else to add?? did you ask him where al of his damn All Star and home run durby s#!t is?? =)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTheLegend View Post
    awesome Dave.

didnt know Ray was going to be out, otherwise i would have made the trip.

ive been so far out of the loop the last year and a half with collecting that i dont know whos coming or going.

however, this year is looking great so far (career wise).

not sure how Ray would react with me bringing in an arm full of stuff. havent been able to see him in several years.

did he have anything else to add?? did you ask him where al of his damn All Star and home run durby s#!t is?? =)
    Hey Donnie!

I was surpised to not see you there...

Ray Ray was only signing one item per person, but that didn't stop at least one dealer I know from handing him 2 baseballs and bringing other people with him to score more stuff.

Funny you ask about the AS stuff! I forgot to ask him...darn. There was a pretty good line of people behind me, and the only real thing I could tell him was that I wished the Cards had retired his number before Chris Duncan abused it.

He was waaaaay cooler than I could have imagined. He was a Johnny Mac's on Watson Saturday for the big sports expo. I bet he could still play.
    Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just realized that you can actually see the line behind me in the first pic...
    Dave

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]