Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How do you feel about overpaying for an item?

How do I feel about overpaying for an item?

Hmmmmm.......that's an easy one.

Right at home.

It's the story of my collecting life, because it seems that EVERYTHING I want is what everybody ELSE wants too.

Awesome topic. All of us that have eventually graduated to game used from cards, oddball and autographs, are very passionate about the hobby. That said, there are any number of items I know for a fact I've overpaid for; but in the end at the end of the day - if it is something that ws not replaceable...there is no remorse.

Example: I was involved in multiple transactions in 08 regarding Kingman game used. I was stupid to let a few pieces get away. After 12 months they surfaced again. I had a second chance to buy them.....at $900 more than I could have paid earlier! Many would walk, but the items were a 77 Yankees jacket (WS YEAR) and a gamer glove I photomatched to a game in 74 with the Giants. I made a $900 mistake many here would not make or would not pay at second chance, but my only regret is personal stupidity. That said, I'm also not a bank and can't afford it all at once. Sucks I was penalized for such, but what'ya gonna do?

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

If you're enthusiastic and truly enjoy what you're collecting then overpaying isn't an issue in my book. We've all done it... and I probably will again too once the baseball season gets rolling. If the bat is one that's been on my want list for a long time I'm too excited to have buyers remorse about overpaying.

i might be a sucker but i generally over pay for all my items. most stuff i have to get from the team. go rangers. they have stuff on ebay that you can get good deals on but when was the last time you saw a kinsler/davis/young g/u bat.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

I absolutely love paying too much for things! My favorite is when I have to watch my eating and drinking habits for weeks on end after the respective purchase...

In all seriousness I agree it comes down to how much the item is valued to you the buyer. There is also an element of who you are and how you go about acquiring your game used. Without a doubt, we're all going to overpay for something hot on Ebay that the whole world can see... but may get a "deal" on the same item if we "know someone."

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    i might be a sucker but i generally over pay for all my items. most stuff i have to get from the team. go rangers. they have stuff on ebay that you can get good deals on but when was the last time you saw a kinsler/davis/young g/u bat.
    I sold 3 Kinsler bats on Ebay in the last month - but I'm awesome so it doesn't count...

i saw those but i already have one.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

I'm just joking around. Kinsler is tough to find. Hoping he has a full season break-out this year!

And I kept the best of the 3 I picked up... along with g/u glove and rookie ST jersey. Had to make some $ back to support my recent Manny addiction.

if you ever want to part with the glove lmk. jgrogers1978@yahoo.com just think with the profit you could make you could by more manny bats. lol
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington