Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Recent Flea Market Finds

Hey guys, I love to read about all of your finds from antique shops and card shows etc, so here is one of mine. I went to a flea market this past weekend, and while almost all of the tables had basically all junk, 1 table had several items that I really liked. I bought the following group of items for $27 - and was exstatic to get it at that price. I was really shocked that the seller was asking for like a buck a piece for almost all of the items. Most are sports related, only a couple arent. Here we go:
    1. 1937 Wire Photo of Phila A's Jesse Hill in swinging pose (from Phila Inquirer)
    2. 1937 Wire Photo of Phila A's Harry Kelley meeting with 2 Olympians Eleanor Jarret - swimmer and Dorothy Hill - diving champion
    3. an interesting Wire Photo from 1948 of Johnny Mizes legs in batting stance. The news quote back is discussing how Mize was ahead of Babe Ruth HR record pace and that his stocky legs were one of the reasons for his power
    4. 1962 wire photo of White Sox P Joe Horlen warming up in Rain Boots? The news quote on back is in Spanish
    5. 1970 Wire Photo of Detroit Lion Larry Hand making a tackle
    6. 4 Phillies Wire Photos from the 70's inluding Dave Cash, Wayne Twitchell, Chris Short and Manager Luchessi
    7. 1981 Eagles Raiders Superbowl program
    8. 1948 Harrisburg Senators Minor League Program/Scorecard
    9. 1930's? Postcard of Columbus RedBird Stadium
    10. 1920 Baseball Schedule Card for Presbyterian College of South Carolina
    11. 1920's Clemson versus Carolina Football Sideline pass
    12. 1920's Clemson versus Davidson Football Ticket
    13. Small photo of football player from 1920's?
    14. Small photo of a man dressed in a sweater with a large C on it - Carlisle, Canton? who knows
    15. Small Photo of 2 men playing hockey - one wearing a Drexel U. Sweater - from 40's or 50's
    16. 1927 Central High School of Philadelphia periodical about their baseball team and baseball in general - has a neat article written by Lefty Grove about how his high school didn't have a baseball team
    17. a similar 1927 CHS periodical about football.

the next 3 are non sports.
    18. a huge (almost 4 feet long) panoramic photo of a college in NY with probably about 2000 people in the photo and dating to the late teens early 20's. After some research of the architecture in the photo and the letter sweaters, I identified it as Union College. Now to find if any famous athletes attending Union in the 20's and see if they are sporting their lettered sweater in the photo
    19. a Lease from 1882 by the Pennsylvania Railroad company to rent out a warehouse to store grain.
    20. a Deed from 1865 for 3 building lots in Lansdale PA (for 160 dollars!)

I thought a pretty neat group of ephemera and memoribilia, and a pretty darn good price.

Re: Recent Flea Market Finds

Sorry for those image sizes, I scanned them at the lowest res my scanner allowed.

Here are links to the Mize and Horlen Photos:

http://www.geocities.com/buddyryanis...rePhotoLOW.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/buddyryanis...rePhotoLOW.jpg

Not bad at a buck a piece....you can't beat that. Especially the wire photos and the minor league program.

Can you make out the brand of bat in the Jesse Hill photo? It looks like it might be a Spalding (or Kren) model. It's rare to have photos of players with non-H&B bats. Pretty cool!

Marcus

No, I can't make out the make of the bat. I can't read the bat label, and I am not familiar with the different bat makers enough to tell just by look.

Flea Market find info needed

I picked up this picture at a flea market over the weekend. The glove on the girls hand is what drew me to it. Ive been trying to make out the artist's name so I could date the picture (I'm guessing late 1890's to early 1900's) The First name appears to be Bernhard but i can't make heads or tails out of the last name. Any help out there from anyone who might recgonize this artist or this particular item would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way I paid 12.00 for it. Did i get a good deal or not?Name:  100_0963.JPG
Views: 825
Size:  323.7 KB

Name:  100_0965A.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  401.0 KB

Re: Flea Market find info needed

Hi. I am familiar with this picture although I am not certain of who the artist is. The girl is wearing a Cornell sweater. It's a pretty common picture, although I usually see it as a Cornell postcard. I have a postcard of this picture at home. I think mine dates to 1906 but I will have to check when I get home. I know the same artist also made a similar pictue of the same Cornell girl holding a football. What size is your picture? I am not sure I have seen this in a large format. Nice pick up!

Re: Flea Market find info needed

Thanks for the info. At least now I know which college the sweater is for. The picture measures 6" x 12" Any other information anyone else can give me would be appreciated.

Flea Market

Hello from Italy,
    Next week i'll be in New York City for a week.....
    do you know flea market where is possible find vintage sports clothing ??

thanks for help !

Banned

Re: Flea Market

Hello Legend, well I am located in New York City. When you ask for Vintage Sports Clothing what exactly do you mean? Can you be more specific?

Are you looking for Game Used Clothing?
    Are you looking for old retail sports clothing?
    Are you looking for Used Sports Clothing?

Let me know?
    Thank you