Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Authentication, Who to trust?

Had a question about a few recent problems i've been having concerning authentication companies. I recently had a problem with a few fake game used and autographed items so as a result i decided to have a few items checked by JSA. One item i had checked was a framed set of Sammy Sosa Autographed ball, Autographed 8x10 and game used bat.

Well the autographed ball and photo both failed and the bat they were unable to authenticate or reject. All 3 items i later realized have authentication and holograms from Global Authentication Inc. The photo is GV 15109 on their web site i will post the other later.

Who do i trust or is this all just a crap shot if it passes as real vs fake?

JSA told me that 90% of Global items are fake, and that they can not authenticate game used items at all. How do i know PSA wont tell me 90% of all JSA items are fake?

Thanks

Banned

Re: Authentication, Who to trust?

Quote Originally Posted by cheardjr View Post
    Had a question about a few recent problems i've been having concerning authentication companies. I recently had a problem with a few fake game used and autographed items so as a result i decided to have a few items checked by JSA. One item i had checked was a framed set of Sammy Sosa Autographed ball, Autographed 8x10 and game used bat.

Well the autographed ball and photo both failed and the bat they were unable to authenticate or reject. All 3 items i later realized have authentication and holograms from Global Authentication Inc. The photo is GV 15109 on their web site i will post the other later.

Who do i trust or is this all just a crap shot if it passes as real vs fake?

JSA told me that 90% of Global items are fake, and that they can not authenticate game used items at all. How do i know PSA wont tell me 90% of all JSA items are fake?

Thanks
    Wow - JSA said "90% of all Global items are fake" that figure is really scary. I use JSA, but I prefer PSA/DNA as I trust them the most and they are part of Collector's Universe, which I have ties to from their coin and currency grading service.

It would be neat if JSA published that figure if they really said it, as I would love to see Global's reaction.

Banned

I think a lot of this depends on the tyupe of item and athlete you're persuing. The best thing you can do is research through the forums and any other online resoucres and do your homework. You can never be 100% sure of anything except taxes and death, or getting something signed in person.

Banned

I have little faith in GAI, and would place far greater trust in PSA/DNA or JSA.

It has been my experience GAI has become VERY liberal in authenticating. Of course, they charge you more if they authenticate an item than if they reject it under their policies, so they have a built-in incentive to rubber stamp anything close.

For autographs (not commenting on game used), in person signing companies are very reliable, as the signings were done with witness and the players are generally under contract to sign. These companies include Steiner, TriStar, Mounted Memories, UDA (and others). The player's hologram next to the signature is a good sign of authenticity. The MLB hologram is also a strong indication of authenticity, as these signings are also done with witness. PSA/DNA and JSA are generally reliable 'after the fact' judgers, though aren't perfect. They don't witness the signing, but are judging later. GAI letters where Mike Gutierrez is listed as expert are reliable, as he's top notch. He left the company early on, so later LOAs won't have his name.

I have personally submitted just one item to an authenticator in my life, so I'm far from an expert. However, many people have told me that if an item fails from PSA and/or JSA, send it to Global. That scares me.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    GAI letters where Mike Gutierrez is listed as expert are reliable, as he's top notch. He left the company early on, so later LOAs won't have his name.
    Well actually that is not necessarily true. Guittierz name may be on the LOA does not mean he was present at ever or examining every item that walks in the door. So the person who is actually doing the authenticating can still be wrong.

As far as GAI they have passed many bad items in my opinion, and it has been noted here in past threads that items that come form the have been questionable.

I have seen them at card shows and hand out LOAS like they were toilet paper anybody and everyone seemed to be getting an LOA didn't not a one fail.

One of there reps once was or still is a member of this forum and every time one of there items was in question and he was called upon he never answered.

I personally believe PSA/DNA & JSA are more trustworthy sources.

Also JSA was once apart of PSA/DNA

The early version of GAI was very conservatives with autographs. During this this time it was tougher to get an LOA for an item than PSA or JSA. It was in recent times that they became lax. Whether or not Gutierrez was the personal authenticator, the Gutierrez name indicates the LOA is from the early, extra-careful version of GAI.

Autograph authenticators aren't particularly reliable...or scrupulous. Both PSA/DNA and JSA have made some really stupid mistakes. At one point a TV station caught JSA authenticating bogus autographs through a sting they did at an autograph show.

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html chronicles some of the exploits of autograph authenticators. It's a good, eye opening read.

As an autograph collector, I believe that you have to become your own expert if you don't want to get ripped off. Get your items signed in person, or pay a little more and get them through sources such as UDA, GTSM, TriStar, Mounted Memories, Steiner, etc. if you want to be sure that they're authentic. If you have to go through some other source, do your homework.