Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Authentication, Who to trust?

"JSA told me that 90% of Global items are fake..."

Personally, I believe whom ever states this, or believes this, does not know anything about the business of autograph authentication.

I also personally believe no one at JSA would make the statement the OP stated, because it would be ridiculously false and stupid.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    "JSA told me that 90% of Global items are fake..."

Personally, I believe whom ever states this, or believes this, does not know anything about the business of autograph authentication.

I also personally believe no one at JSA would make the statement the OP stated, because it would be ridiculously false and stupid.
    Sammy, I agree with your statement 100% and after discussions today with authenticators about this statement - There is no chance it is true and I would doubt Jimmy Spence would make such a statement.

As GAI, now in Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, may have given opinions on questionable items, they have also certified many, many genuine items. I know a dealer who had thousands of items certified by GAI that were all autographed in person at autograph sessions with the players. If all his items are genuine, that would mean every other item authenticated is not genuine based on the statement given to start this thread.

We all know this is not true, as GAI has certified plenty of genuine items as their prices are often more competitive than PSA/DNA and JSA so a lot of people used their services.

Banned

Joel,

I don't know the last time we agreed on anything, but I thank you for your comments, and I must state that I also agree with you 100 percent in regard to your statement.

"We all know this is not true, as GAI has certified plenty of genuine items as their prices are often more competitive than PSA/DNA and JSA so a lot of people used their services."

I have many items certified by GAI that I personally sent to them for authentication. It was not that I needed to know, but that others may feel more comfortable with nationally known third party authentication.

They have also turned down items I have sent in, which we have tended to disagree on.

A major contributing factor in my decision to use GAI instead of JSA or PSA/DNA is the cost factor.

Being as PSA/DNA charges 100 just to look at a Mantle autograph, and JSA charges 75, with shipping and insurance both ways added on top of that, a seller's profit margin has been reduced considerably.

It has actually, on a number of times, been more profitable for the authentication company then it was for me, as the owner and seller. That is right, they made more money off of an item then I did.

Another favorable factor in using GAI is if an item does not pass, they don't charge you the full amount as PSA/DNA and JSA does.

To some, they see this as an incentive to just past things regardless of the items probability for authenticity. But I believe they are missing the main point, which is to help collectors and dealers save some money.

As I stated, I have had a number of items turned down over the years which I believe to be real, as well as some that were questionable. I know first hand GAI does not just past anything to increase their bottom line.

It is called integrity. They are constantly trying to improve their abilities and services, and I for one will continue to use them, as well as the other companies.

I agree that the odds just can't be there for 90% of anything they do to be fake. Maybe it was miquoted as 90% of fake items will get a passing grade. Still seems like a bold statement and a stretch, but not near as blanket like.

Banned

Trust no-one.

I can't understand why people collect autographs when there are safer items to collect in the hobby like Super-Star football and baseball jerseys. And let's not forget vintage football helmets.

Just my opinion.

Jim

There is only one sure way to know if your autograph is real.

Who's that guy in the picture with Warren as a kid?

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    Who's that guy in the picture with Warren as a kid?
    Some old dude who smelled like Gilbey's.

In my opinion the authentication process is a big joke. The big 3 will never say that the others items are authentic. I have had dealings with all 3 and PSA/DNA is absolutly horrible when it comes to authentication. I once went to them with 50 items that were all 100% real and obtained by me in person and none of them were bought or traded for and they rejected all of them and still charged me full price so they get paid whether they are good or bad. I have dealt with JSA where I was asked "where did you obtain these" as if that has anything to do with them being good or bad. If I told them I had dinner with the player and they signed for me would that mean they were good? or If I said I bought them would that mean they were bad? What does where I got the autograph have to do with them saying they were good or bad? I have also dealt with the old GAI and the new, in my opinion the new is def. better than the old. I remember one time about 5 years ago when Justin Priddy (now owner of ACE authentication) had a customer come to him with a stack of about 300 photos that he didnt even look at and just started to put stickers on, needless to say he was fired for a simular incident and now owns his own company where he is doing the same thing. The new GAI run under Steve Sipp is the way to go, they are honest and will provide you with an honest and reliable service that you can trust.

However in closing the opinion of authentication companies is just that, an opinion. They do not guarentee anything and on all 3 of the companies cert cards it clearly states "It is our opinion" so does one companies opinion mean more then the next???

Banned

From my experiences, I trust no one except when I get the autograph myself. Old school authentication is having a picture with the person who signed the stuff AND a picture or two of that person holding onto the item he signed.

You need this just in case you want to SELL your item with hope that you will make some extra bucks for your time and effort.

Now moving to the present, I can rank the following authenticated company as follow:

1. PSADNA - top of the line but take too long to get your items back. Sometimes I sent them stuff to be graded and I completely forgot about them until I get a package three months later. If PSADNA can have a quicker turn around without costing an arm and a leg, I know more collectors will send in their stuff.

2. Steiner - I like their stuff but the pricing can be a little better. Because of Steiner, you will NEVER ever see a YANKEES FANFEST so this forum members can fight over the stuff they get. I like Steiner better also when they have shows when you can meet your favorite athletes in person and have your items authenticated on the spot - which is every collector dream!

3. Beckett - same as PSADNA but a little less expensive.

4. JSA - I like them since it run by a former member of PSA but I really really dont like the GENERIC certificate. It's just too simple in my eyes. Full certificates are very nice to look at and it's do-able but again, if you are going to spend a decent amount of money to have your item verified - you might as well go with the best out there.

5. Dont trust GAI because some of the stuff they authenticated - I was like are you serious? Maybe Jeter signature looked like that when he was drunk and just got out of accident .... come on!