Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

Hello Everyone,

While I know this question doesn't relate to game used memorabilia, I was hoping to get some opinions on another form of sports collectible. I was at the All-Star FanFest yesterday in San Francisco and ran into an exhibitor I met at the SportsFest last month. The company sells sports art and had, among other things, a number of great pieces by Stephen Holland (in fact, the new Holland Pujols piece in particular caught my eye).

I was just wondering what collectors thought of sports art as a collectible (given a number of these pieces are limited editions I am presuming they are considered collectible). Does anyone buy/collect sports art? If not, is the main deterrent cost, space or something else? I see how much money people are willing to spend on a sports cards (in many cases a photo on a piece of cardboard) and was wondering what collectors thought about purchasing sports art.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am very intrigued by this medium and would love to know what others thought of it.

-Chris

Re: Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

Chris

I have some stuff by Rick Rush (who they call the Norman Rockwell of sports), who I really like alot. The limited edition print, in the case of one of my pieces, is limited to 190. I find this very attractive compared to (for example) many wildlife prints (like Terry Redlin) where the pieces are limited to something like 3,500 prints.

Stephen Holland is a good one though. Very unique looking stuff.

Scott
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Chris,

Being a former autograph memorabilia collector I was always interested in 16X20 signed action photos and sports art, a lot of the sports art pieces I see now come unsigned by the athlete and usually signed by the artist only.

I would only be interested if the particular sports art piece was signed by the athlete and signed in a way that it would not detract from the piece, a lot of these younger athletes today have terrible signatures compared to the older signatures like Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio and Ted Williams.

Lewis Watkins did a nice sports art litho of Ted Williams years ago that I could not resist, I still have it in my collection today.

Bobby
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Consider paintings. It takes hundreds of hours to make one and there's very little forgery with modern sports paintings.

I have several pieces in my collection. I have a couple of original pieces by Darryl Vlasak along with a very unique Mickey Mantle piece. This item is 40 x 49 and is made up of neary 2,700 different Topps mico baseball cards. When right up on the item it looks like a bunch of different cards but as you get about 4 feet or further away the famous image of Mickey Mantle and his #7 appear from the backgrounds of the cards. This piece was the first one that this artist did and there were only 7 ever made. I am not sure how the artist did it but it is really cool looking. I know the same artist did a Babe Ruth one and it sold for over $8,000 in the December Lelands auction.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello Everyone,

While I know this question doesn't relate to game used memorabilia, I was hoping to get some opinions on another form of sports collectible. I was at the All-Star FanFest yesterday in San Francisco and ran into an exhibitor I met at the SportsFest last month. The company sells sports art and had, among other things, a number of great pieces by Stephen Holland (in fact, the new Holland Pujols piece in particular caught my eye).

I was just wondering what collectors thought of sports art as a collectible (given a number of these pieces are limited editions I am presuming they are considered collectible). Does anyone buy/collect sports art? If not, is the main deterrent cost, space or something else? I see how much money people are willing to spend on a sports cards (in many cases a photo on a piece of cardboard) and was wondering what collectors thought about purchasing sports art.

Thanks in advance for your replies. I am very intrigued by this medium and would love to know what others thought of it.

-Chris
    Along with my sports memorabilia and game used business, I own a Sports Art company which most members probably didn't know I was involved in because its not game used related so I never mentioned it on the Forum previously. I am glad Chris Cavalier did his Post as this is a great part of collecting.

I got into sports art collecting in the mid-1990's and I hang paintings next to my shadow boxes of my favorite game used pieces so it gives my room a real sports eclectic look. I have quite a few people who buy both game used and sports art items.

We are a direct retailer for Stephen Holland, LeRoy Neiman, Malcolm Farley, Charles Fazzino and others.

Art is so different from person to person that one's treasure may be considered someone else's trash.

Chris, you referred to the Albert Pujols which is one of the pieces we carry and is one of Stephen Holland's least expensive pieces on canvas because it is not signed by Pujols and it retails at $1,650. In contrast, an autographed original Holland of Michael Jordan would be about $25,000.

I just completed signings with Clinton Portis on some LeRoy Neiman Redskins art and Michael Jordan w/ UDA on Stephen Holland art and Roger Clemens w/ TriStar on LeRoy Neiman 300 win Yankees art.

Andrew
    info@AllstarsArt.com

Lance Richbourg is a well-respected sports artist. You can see some of his stuff here: http://www.superstock.co.uk/search/Richbourg

His father (also named Lance Richbourg) was an outfielder for the Boston Braves in the 20's and 30's. He attended the University of Florida and was the first Gator to play professional sports. Lance Jr. also attended UF and I believe is now an art professor at a college in Vermont.

OT - Sports Paintings & Illustrations

lots of stunning sports art work out there produced by extremely talented artists, past and present - do any of you guys collect these sort of pieces? i would think originals and limited prints would do quite well at action. in fact i would think an exclusive deal with one of these artists would be worth exploring in terms of selling their work through an auction house store or through an actual auction - leroy nieman ain't the only guy out there producing sports masterpieces!

here's a young artist named ron stark who is an incredible talent. his father (bruce stark) was a very well know and accomplished artist who, among many things, was an illustrator for the n.y. daily news for a quarter of a century. here are a few images of ron's spectacular work (oils):

and here's an image of one his father's illustrations:

ron's website can be found here:
    http://www.ronstarkstudios.com/index.php?pg=about

his father's site can be found here:
    http://www.artofbrucestark.com/artist.php

robert

Re: OT - Sports Paintings & Illustrations

He has some great art work.