Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: Slightly OT: Sports Art - Any Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Rick
    Are you an artiste? You're obviously not a comedian. I like the White Sox painting. Even if you don't, the house-painter crack is weak.
    In my humble opinion, Leroy Neiman blows. But, I am not familiar with Leroy Newman.
    BTPH - You asked if Rick is an artiste, are you an art critic?

Well BTPH, that's nice (sarcastic) to say that about someone who makes their livelihood as an artist that they "blow". I personally like some of Neiman's work, but art is subjective and some artists find very negative criticism as offensive as it is like judging the beauty of one's spouse. I generally refer to art I don't like as it isn't my style, but to say it "blows" as you say in your humble opinion, I find offensive as I am sure others would too.

Neiman was born in 1921 with no silver spoon in his mouth. In fact, his father abandoned his family when he was young, and he lived in an orphanage back in the time of the great depression until his mother got remarried and took him back. Sure, he did well as he got older but doubtful you can ever erase those scars of such a tough childhood. He never had children and supposedly has no living relatives except his wife and all of his archives and wealth go to charity.

His style of art which has been called impressionistic with bursts of energy is an original style which all critics say was of his own invention. If nothing else, Neiman is an original, and maybe the greatest compliment is all the artists that have come after him that have painted in a similar style. Often imitated, but never duplicated.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    BTPH - You asked if Rick is an artiste, are you an art critic?

Well BTPH, that's nice (sarcastic) to say that about someone who makes their livelihood as an artist that they "blow". I personally like some of Neiman's work, but art is subjective and some artists find very negative criticism as offensive as it is like judging the beauty of one's spouse. I generally refer to art I don't like as it isn't my style, but to say it "blows" as you say in your humble opinion, I find offensive as I am sure others would too.
    Andrew, I was simply bailing on Rick for comparing the White Sox painting to interior house painting. You would agree that's offensive, right?
    Everyone has their own opinion about art and what is considered art. Real sad to hear about Leroy Neiman's troubled past. Neiman's style breaths "late 80s".
    I don't know art, but I know what blows.

Well, I've been out all day but its always nice to come home and see another good thread turned to crap...

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Well, I've been out all day but its always nice to come home and see another good thread turned to crap...
    Jim - Unfortunately you are right. Do you remember when your mother would say if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing.

Like you, I don't get some of these people that post on here because I know BTPH is generally a good person so when I give him a chance to soften his criticism he follows it up with the same zinger. I am far from perfect so I will leave it at that.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Jim - Unfortunately you are right. Do you remember when your mother would say if you have nothing nice to say then say nothing.
    I remember that, as well as getting smacked across the mouth if I spoke inappropriately.

Ah yes, the good old days of getting beat by my mom with a wooden spoon, and backhanded by my dad.........

i dont know if vernon wells is considered a good artist but he is a cool guy. he goes to a majority of the rangers games here in arlington and has always been very polite when approached.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Banned

I have a Vernon Wells original of Craig Biggio and a litho of the Biggio/Bagwell combo. Both are incredible! His airbursh looks like photographs.

Banned

In the early 1970's, there were a series of prints distributed and done by a guy named David Boss. They were pretty cool items because they came already mounted on a antique looking frame and the process used to manufacture the prints made the pieces look like original artwork. Most of the major NFL teams were reproduced and now and again, they show-up on eBay anywhere from $25-$100 bucks.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    In the early 1970's, there were a series of prints distributed and done by a guy named David Boss. They were pretty cool items because they came already mounted on a antique looking frame and the process used to manufacture the prints made the pieces look like original artwork. Most of the major NFL teams were reproduced and now and again, they show-up on eBay anywhere from $25-$100 bucks.

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Love those prints ! Got one myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !