Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

NFL jerseys in next Mastro auction

Wow, I'm not much of an NFL collector, would like to add more to the few I have, but have everyone seen the lots in the next Mastro auction? Has to be the largest offering of old NFL jerseys I have seen. I hate auctions, but if you like looking at football jerseys you have to check this stuff out:

http://live.mastroauctions.com/index...0Search%20List

Re: NFL jerseys in next Mastro auction

Yes, some nice jerseys!

The Jim Brown one looked familiar to me....I believe it's the same one...

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1524.html

I wonder why the winning bidder would consign so quickly? You certaintly don't see Jim Brown game used jerseys everyday!!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    Yes, some nice jerseys!

The Jim Brown one looked familiar to me....I believe it's the same one...

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2008/1524.html

I wonder why the winning bidder would consign so quickly? You certaintly don't see Jim Brown game used jerseys everyday!!!
    Maybe he has a mortgage payment coming due!

Does anyone know how they know the Derek Jeter bat ws used to hit the home run that Jeffery Maier caught. They dont really say anything about where it came from.

Man oh man! That Brown jersey is my GRAIL! I fell just $69K short. What a joy just to see it. Nuff said!

Scott

A few observations on the Jim Brown. Anyone else find it amazing that a Jim Brown from this era has no team repairs or any substantial hit marks considering they didn't change jerseys everyday back then and I wouldn't exactly call Brown a finesse runner trying to avoid the hits. Also, It is the light weight tear away style so that would make it even more susceptible to rips...Also Jim Brown signed it "game jersey" (not "game worn") at a paid autograph show 40 years after he wore it and not when it came off his back

Regards,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    A few observations on the Jim Brown. Anyone else find it amazing that a Jim Brown from this era has no team repairs or any substantial hit marks considering they didn't change jerseys everyday back then and I wouldn't exactly call Brown a finesse runner trying to avoid the hits. Also, It is the light weight tear away style so that would make it even more susceptible to rips...Also Jim Brown signed it "game jersey" (not "game worn") at a paid autograph show 40 years after he wore it and not when it came off his back

Regards,
    Dave

Yes, I've thought about all the things you brought up...has anyone ever seen a Jim Brown jersey that was not a tear away and how much wear/repairs it had?

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post

Regards,
    Dave
    big surprise, dave bushing buys a jersey and wowwee it gets an A10. dave then submits the item with his own authentication/letter and profits handsomely from the perfect grade. i can just imagine the look of delight and sheer surprise when his own jersey got an A10. i wonder what grade dave would've given it had it not been his own.

i wish i could've seen dave examine this one. sitting at his desk, whistling "we're in the money" as he checks off each item on the mears checklist. perfect! great! meets all requirements! wow, aren't i glad i bought such a great shirt, it seems to have gotten an A10! couldn't see that one coming! what a coincidence an A10 will fetch the absolute highest price. time to consign this puppy and profit from the handsome premium i've just added to it! "i've got good news, to shout in your ears, the silver dollar has returned to the fold, with silver you can turn your dreams to gold."

yeah i know REA and MEARS stated the conflict of interest in the listing but simply announcing there's a conflict hardly negates the conflict itself. dave never should've been allowed to have his own personal item evaluated by MEARS to start with and REA shouldn't accept any items directly from a MEARS member with a MEARS worksheet. people say bushing's done so well because he's such a savvy buyer. really knows how to flip an item. yeah well, it helps when you're the one writing LOAs from the most highy esteemed authenticator (read: fetches the highest prices) on your own items and magically racking up the A10s on your own items. even the savviest of buyers out there weren't able to game the system the way bushing did for years. who else could add a premium like that to their own item? thank goodness that nonsense has stopped.

ok, back to my porch to shake my cane at the kids cutting across my property.

rudy.

Is it just me, or are many of the jerseys and helmets the same ones over and over again from other auction sites. I collect helmets and Packer items, so I don't keep tabs on the jerseys too much, but many of the helmets in the auction, as well as the Nitschke jersey were in the Heritage auction a year or two ago. Same with the Jim Taylor warmup jacket. The Hornung helmet sold at a Heritage auction with a BD-9 mask attached, and now at this auction, it is for sale again, but without the mask. Why was the mask removed?

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Is it just me, or are many of the jerseys and helmets the same ones over and over again from other auction sites. I collect helmets and Packer items, so I don't keep tabs on the jerseys too much, but many of the helmets in the auction, as well as the Nitschke jersey were in the Heritage auction a year or two ago. Same with the Jim Taylor warmup jacket. The Hornung helmet sold at a Heritage auction with a BD-9 mask attached, and now at this auction, it is for sale again, but without the mask. Why was the mask removed?
    I always notice that, especially with Jets items constantly going from one auction house to another (a few of the Jets items in this Mastro auction have been seen in several other auctions with the oddest being the Don Maynard items that keep making their rounds). Also, so much of what I see in auction houses I have seen previously on e-Bay. I assume they have reps/buyers surfing e-Bay as well as other regular Joes looking for that flip and corresponding profit. Makes me wonder if any auction house peeps ever look thru the collector to collector classifieds here or if folks buy stuff from the GUU for sale section to flip at an auction house? Anyhow, I have yet to comprehend why a vintage item on e-Bay gets so little action/attention than it gets flipped in an auction house with a worthless letter of opinion and goes for 5+ times more and that's not including the 20% hammer fee mark ups?!