Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: NFL jerseys in next Mastro auction

1) light use: i think "light use" is entirely appropriate (ie: ideal) on some jerseys and wholly inappropriate on others. i passed on bidding on a certain jersey in a recent AMI auction because the wear was too heavy. that is, it seemed disproportionate to the time the player had spent on the team that season. in considering mark's rollie fingers shirt and this brown shirt, one would think that if light wear were appropriate for one jersey and not the other it'd be on the fingers and not on the brown. apparently, mears felt differently. mark hayne brought up the fact that apparently older football shirts were able to take more a beating. i'd think the brown shirt would still show something though? for a shirt of this magnitude, now offered from 2 premier auction houses, both descriptions have only mentioned the crotch piece wear.

2) from the REA description: "The offered jersey is not only the first Jim Brown game jersey we have ever seen.. but is also the only example ever seen by MEARS or documented in the MEARS population report...This is the only documented Jim Brown jersey known to date"

the first jim brown shirt MEARS has ever seen and noone from MEARS spoke to the Football HOF, who have 3 in their possession? this strikes me as really, really odd. a $70k shirt and a phone call can't be made to an institution that has 3 of what you have none of? wierd, wacky stuff as johnny c. would say.

3) promo items and salesman's samples have long posed concerns for collectors of all niches. i'm not sure how king o'shea worked back in the day but i'm curious if the promo item route was explored and if so, what sorts of conclusions were reached. it seems saleman's samples would be most common around the time that a given team is either undergoing a redesign or entertaining the notion of changing from it's current supplier. in 1996, the jays gave russell a try for their home jerseys from their main supplier wilson who'd they'd been using since 1977. i imagine around '96, russell made a few samples that led to wooing the jays away from wilson.
    and of course, teams have been known to make up promo shirts for things like photo shoots and charity donations. not sure how common that was with the browns in the 60s.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake51 View Post
    Two cents here...and this is all this comment is probably really worth....but I have a high level of confidence that almost all of the items in the auction belong to one private collector who is dumping his [substantial] stash.

So the reason we saw many of these items show up in different auctions and now here is because that is how this person built his collection - buying from the various auction houses.

No comment/clue on the specifics of any of the items but I have to say that some of them are pretty fun to look at!

Thanks,

Tom
    Looks to me as though some of this stuff may have come from Duke Hott's collection. He sold just about all of it to mastro a couple years back.

Now to the issue that most of us durene collectors don't like to think about. Not only were jerseys often recycled back in those days (they still are today, by the way), many were later reused in practice. Did the repairs come from game action or did they come from practice/camp use? So the next time you get all excited about those 17 repairs on your favorite durene jersey, you might want to think about how many resulted from a couple of years of practice and summer camp!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    Now to the issue that most of us durene collectors don't like to think about. Not only were jerseys often recycled back in those days (they still are today, by the way), many were later reused in practice. Did the repairs come from game action or did they come from practice/camp use? So the next time you get all excited about those 17 repairs on your favorite durene jersey, you might want to think about how many resulted from a couple of years of practice and summer camp!

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for Atlanta Falcons and WFL uniforms
    Having had the distinct pleasure, privilege, and honor of communicating with/interviewing several of the old NY Titans and early AFL Jets players regarding many topics to include uniforms (RIP Roger Ellis and Thurlow Cooper - two great AFL players who were so incredibly gracious). As Mark points out, much of the early Titans gear was continuously recylced (literally hundreds of players went through the Titans franchise), used for practices, used for camp, THEN sent on to local high schools and/or leagues for use. One must remember many/most/all of the AFL teams early on were financially challenged (especially the NY Titans) and thus were desparately trying to save funds in every way imagineable, including with equipment. At the onset the NY Titans did not even employ a team Dr. According to the players I spoke to these uni's would typically be beat to all heck.

http://live.mastroauctions.com/index...nd%20Equipment

Cold weather jersey? I have never heard of the Steelers wearing anything in this era other than nylon durene, which this is certaintly not...can anyone add to this?

Quote Originally Posted by beantown View Post
    http://live.mastroauctions.com/index...nd%20Equipment

Cold weather jersey? I have never heard of the Steelers wearing anything in this era other than nylon durene, which this is certaintly not...can anyone add to this?
    Durene is mercerized cotton (treated and pre-washed). Sand Knit often used a nylon and durene cotton blend for their 70s football jerseys. I can't see a close-up to get a good idea of the material used.

The front numbers on the Greene jersey look skinnier than they should. They actually resemble the 1993 throwback version made by Champion.