Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Re: Game Used Favre Story in SCD

[quote=RKGIBSON;107002]
    Quote Originally Posted by gwh11 View Post
    Roger: Could the "B" be a sloppy "R"? It would make more sense, since your jersey was worn in games against Chicago, the Jaguars and the Rams.

Guy,
    It is possible. I always thought it was the one worn in the Vikings game also. The 2 games where Favre wore white where my jersey was not worn was, vs the Raiders 8/31/01 and vs the Giants 1/6/02. The tail did not have the same hem on the tail. Mine is cut about 2" longer and the side split shows, photo attached. Also are photos of the autograph and hologram.

I would like to know how the jerseys got out of the Packers facility.

Roger
    I bought two Favre jerseys from Rick about 8 years ago a green that I subsequently photomatched to an away game against the Bucs and a 1994 white Throwback that turned out to be a highly questionable piece....I did speak to Chris off the record about it....Today in our hobby, no matter who the source -a contemporary star piece must be photomatched...Live and learn for me... Roger, I sent you an email reply to our Jets discussion partner....thanks

dave grob posted about this issue over on the mears website:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=561

Problematic Brett Favre Jerseys by Dave Grob

Chris Nerat recently authored a piece for Sports Collectors Digest (SCD) that I found to be both hard hitting and well researched, in my opinion quite a departure from what I have been accustomed to seeing in SCD. The topic was on problematic Brett Favre jerseys on the market. The story has certainly garnered a lot of attention both inside and outside the hobby. I wish I could report that we were surprised at all of this, but sad to say I am not. In our Bat and Jersey Census, available to MEARS Members, we have over a half dozen examples of problematic Favre jerseys that were evaluated between May of 2006 and March of 2008, with the majority having been evaluated in 2006 and 2007.

Of those found to be problematic, roughly 43% display an autograph with a “game used” inscription. I point this for a number of reasons. First to shed light on a problem that we feel has existed in the hobby for some time and hopefully has been noticed by MEARS Members. Secondly to remind folks that simply having a player sign a jersey as “game used” or “game worn” is not an automatic qualifier as provenance or points on our grading scale.

In order to help others see what we have seen with respect to problematic Favre jerseys over the years, now that is seems to have any number of peoples attention, these are the jerseys I have referred to. I have provided the Certification or hologram number since we sometimes see MEARS evaluated products that, while the hologram is present, the worksheet or final Letter of Opinion has “become lost” for some reason.

Once again, hats off to Chris Nerat as well as MEARS contributor Guy Hankel for a job well done.

Problematic Favre Jerseys

1993 Home Jersey

Cert # 306330: MEARS is unable to grade this jersey due to the following inconsistencies: 1) Lack of wear; 2) game photos and footage show Favre wearing jerseys with NOB sized nameplates, not shoulder-to-shoulder nameplates as this jersey has.

1993 Road Jersey

Cert #100012: Numbers were applied via applique by the Packers in 1993, not single tackle twill as on this jersey. Manufacturer tag is not present on left front tail. Year tag (box) also missing from left front tail. Swatch tag in neck font not consistent with exemplars. Evidence of removal of retail size tag in neck.

NOTE: Autographed “93 Game Used”

1995 Home Jersey

Cert #100011: Incorrect font on back number. Incorrect yoke sheen. Missing manufacturer tag on front tail. Missing "Ripon Athletic" flag tag on inside seam. Swatch tag in neck font not consistent with exemplars. Evidence of removal of retail size tag in neck.

NOTE: Autographed “1995 MVP Game Used”

1996 Home Jersey

Cert #100009: Size does not match tagged size. Missing manufacturer tag on tail. Missing "Ripon Athletic" flag tag on inside seam. Swatch tag in neck font not consistent with exemplars. Evidence of removal of retail size tag in neck.

1996 Home Jersey

Cert #100010: Size does not match tagged size. Missing size flag tag on manufacturer tag. Missing "Ripon Athletic" flag tag on inside seam. Swatch tag in neck font not consistent with exemplars. Evidence of removal of retail size tag in neck.

NOTE: Autographed “96 Game Used”

1996 Road Jersey

Cert #309340: This jersey was a retail version that has had the retail tag removed from the neck. The outline of the removed tag is still visible upon inspection on a light table. The '96' box year tag found on the tail of this jersey should be in the collar. A size flag tag should be present on the right side of the Starter manufacturer's tag on the tail. The font used for the letter 'R' in Favre has the incorrect style of font for 1996 Packers jerseys.

2000 Home Jersey

Cert #305694: MEARS is unable to authenticate this jersey due to the following inconsistencies: 1) simulated, inconsistent wear -- satin fabric exhibits wear, mesh fabric does not; 2) sleeve cut not consistent with exemplars.

Dave Grob

For questions or comments on this article, please feel to drop me a line at DaveGrob1@aol.com
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

"Secondly to remind folks that simply having a player sign a jersey as “game used” or “game worn” is not an automatic qualifier as provenance or points on our grading scale."

from what i've seen, if a post-87 jersey was an A5 and it had a "game worn/used" inscription from the athlete, it automatically got bumped up to an A10 because of the "provenance". that said, i also remember d. grob once that saying perhaps mears should start being more discerning or subjective with the specific athlete who wrote the "game used" inscription as some athletes will blindly write it on anything placed in front of them while others are more discerning.

rudy.

something that strikes odd to me now, is why are there LOA's on jerseys from the early to mid 90's?

when I've seen the 94 Throwback, a 1993 Jersey, etc..., it led me to believe that these might be coming from Favre's own collection since the letter is being written around 10 some years later...and there is no way that his stuff would have been found in some corner of the equipment room 10 years later

I remember in the mid 90's Gray Flannel bought a ton of Packers stuff right from the team...cleaned them out

but now this smells like GREED....obviously these items wern't in Brett's collection...anyone know what Thomason does for a living?...other than being Brett's buddy?....if this guy is making 30K a year, divorced, and struggleing to make his next rent/mortgage payment, then the writing would be on the wall to me

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    something that strikes odd to me now, is why are there LOA's on jerseys from the early to mid 90's?

when I've seen the 94 Throwback, a 1993 Jersey, etc..., it led me to believe that these might be coming from Favre's own collection since the letter is being written around 10 some years later...and there is no way that his stuff would have been found in some corner of the equipment room 10 years later

I remember in the mid 90's Gray Flannel bought a ton of Packers stuff right from the team...cleaned them out

but now this smells like GREED....obviously these items wern't in Brett's collection...anyone know what Thomason does for a living?...other than being Brett's buddy?....if this guy is making 30K a year, divorced, and struggleing to make his next rent/mortgage payment, then the writing would be on the wall to me
    1. don't forget that when the jays and yankees finally opened their vaults, they had apparently been storing 20+ years worth of jerseys. when the yankees started selling their game-used shirts in 2005, there was stuff in yankee stadium from the 80s.

2. thomason: favre's personal pilot for the past 14 years. part owner of "Fan 4 Ever" in sun prairie, WI along with brian anderson. also partners with anderson in running the official Brett Favre Web site www.OfficialBrettFavre.com. manages favre's autographed memorabilia sales and is involved in the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, which contributes to community efforts in Wisconsin and Mississippi. "I've worked with Brett now since 1994, coordinating his travels back and forth from Mississippi" says thomason. seems to have connected with favre and built his entire career around him. he led the effort to clamp down on favre forged autographs a few years ago when the feds busted some favre forgery ring. as thomason said "brett signs very little and it comes through me". seems to be favre's sole memorabilia mouthpiece.

rudy.

here's thomason's store:

http://www.fan4ever.com/about_us/session_26eabb1e81ac/

seems the "cheaper" favre signed 8x10s run for about $175.

"Since 1992, Fan 4 Ever has had a close relationship with Brett Favre in distributing all of his memorabilia which continues still today. Fan 4 Ever is also proud to be the company behind Brett's own website; OfficialBrettFavre.com "

"..with Brett Favre who's items include a certificate of authenticity, matching Brett Favre holograms, and a photo from the signing session."

if fan 4 ever is slapping favre holograms on their 8x10s then how do these holograms come from radtke, as has been suggested? seems to me they come from thomason. simply because they weren't on in the photos of favre holding the jersey doesn't mean they weren't slapped on the second after the photo was taken.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    1. don't forget that when the jays and yankees finally opened their vaults, ....

there was stuff in yankee stadium from the 80s.

rudy.
    Rudy, not to get off the subject, but the Yankees found items from the early 70's as I picked up some Ron Swoboda pants which I think were 1973.

Back to the subject at hand, a lot of great info, but there seems to be a lot of what if's.

Hopefully Rick Radtke can clear up some up some of the gray areas and maybe Chris Nerat too.

If Thomason has nothing to hide, who wants to email him?
    E-mail: fan4ever@verizon.net
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Banned

thomason said "brett signs very little and it comes through me".
    Sure kills the guy's credibility with me, about the only NFL player who signs more is Joe Montana. Ebay alone is FULL of what very much appears to be legit Favre signed items.

1. don't forget that when the jays and yankees finally opened their vaults, they had apparently been storing 20+ years worth of jerseys. when the yankees started selling their game-used shirts in 2005, there was stuff in yankee stadium from the 80s.

2. thomason: favre's personal pilot for the past 14 years. part owner of "Fan 4 Ever" in sun prairie, WI along with brian anderson. also partners with anderson in running the official Brett Favre Web site www.OfficialBrettFavre.com. manages favre's autographed memorabilia sales and is involved in the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, which contributes to community efforts in Wisconsin and Mississippi. "I've worked with Brett now since 1994, coordinating his travels back and forth from Mississippi" says thomason. seems to have connected with favre and built his entire career around him. he led the effort to clamp down on favre forged autographs a few years ago when the feds busted some favre forgery ring. as thomason said "brett signs very little and it comes through me". seems to be favre's sole memorabilia mouthpiece.

rudy.

So it sounds like he's kind of Favre's personal assisstant?...Doesn't sound to lucrative to me?

Rudy, on the holograms....the holograms for my jersey, pic, and letter are still on a piece of wax paper that was sent to me with my letter, which I received seperately from my jersey....I'm sure this was a rare case, but that's what led me to believe that the holograms came from Radtke....there was nothing fishy going on, just saving time for me mailing the pic and jersey back and forth to just put the hologram on

Quote Originally Posted by lund6771 View Post
    Rudy, on the holograms....the holograms for my jersey, pic, and letter are still on a piece of wax paper that was sent to me with my letter, which I received seperately from my jersey....I'm sure this was a rare case, but that's what led me to believe that the holograms came from Radtke....there was nothing fishy going on, just saving time for me mailing the pic and jersey back and forth to just put the hologram on
    from what i understand, per the conversation i had with fan4ever, the holograms in radtke's possession are old stock that are being phased out while the ones issued by fan4ever are the current holograms.

robert

Banned

UPDATE:

I phoned Chris Nerat at SCD this morning, however, I was told he is no longer employed with Krause Publications/SCD.

Just when we're led to believe that SCD may be "turning the page" in a positve direction, we now learn of this.

Possibly Chris can update this thread.

FYI

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net