Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Re: Show me your Game Used NFL Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    nice lid "helmets" - if i remember correctly, i think the date code on that helmet is '97 which would mean it might be the first helmet plummer was issued (i.e. his rookie helmet). i think the item description mentioned other info on the inside of the helmet as well (h.c. (hard cup), opo, vsr4l (large) and b.u. although i'm not sure they got the b.u. right, did they?).

Yes, that information is in the helmet. It does have some reconditioning tags as well. The "OPO" is followed by "H.G." - which I am not sure what it means. Normally they have something on the label about the chinstrap as well, but I do not see that. The "BU" I assume means Back Up, but with the wear that is present, the reconditioning stickers, and the photos that I see, it looks to be more than a back up helmet - unless BU means something different.

Good to hear from you again. Its been a while. I thought maybe you packed up a suitcase with some of your database and went out on the road with Lou...

I acquired a Seahawks Riddell TAK 29 helmet this past month, with an 02/76 date code. Quite excited about it, since, this particular helmet is so well preserved, yet, still shows some decent game wear.

Pictures and a writeup on it here:
    http://www.greenglare.com/76_TAK29.html

nice lid "helmets" - if i remember correctly, i think the date code on that helmet is '97 which would mean it might be the first helmet plummer was issued (i.e. his rookie helmet). i think the item description mentioned other info on the inside of the helmet as well (h.c. (hard cup), opo, vsr4l (large) and b.u. although i'm not sure they got the b.u. right, did they?).

tom 1315 - the date code is not a straight forward deal. for example the last number signifies the year the helmet was manufactured but other factors need to be considered as well such as the date code location on the helmet, whether or not letters follow the numbers, what the first number of the series is, etc... if you have some dates your curious about shoot me an email and i will get back to you....

Thank you Robert - I do have a couple I would like to confirm.

Nice 'Hawks helmet M.
    I really like the TAK29s.
    Doesn't look to have any wear at all on the exterior or interior.

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Yes, that information is in the helmet. It does have some reconditioning tags as well. The "OPO" is followed by "H.G." - which I am not sure what it means. Normally they have something on the label about the chinstrap as well, but I do not see that. The "BU" I assume means Back Up, but with the wear that is present, the reconditioning stickers, and the photos that I see, it looks to be more than a back up helmet - unless BU means something different.
    are you sure the "hg" isn't an "hc" which would stand for "hard cup" chinstrap? as far as the "bu" is concerned, i agree with you - can't imagine it would stand for "back up" albeit that does seem to be the most obvious conclusion. imo it would be very odd to label a helmet as a backup in that manner, to abbreviate it with "bu" and include it along with the other info in that area - it would imply that the helmet was a backup from the get-go as opposed to a worn helmet regulated to backup service... doesn't make very much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by princip
    I acquired a Seahawks Riddell TAK 29 helmet this past month, with an 02/76 date code. Quite excited about it, since, this particular helmet is so well preserved, yet, still shows some decent game wear.
    i believe that is the same lid that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago - for a very reasonable price i might add (imo). but the ebay lid was fitted with a 70s nop, not an xl jop. when i first started collecting helmets i acquired quite a few tak29's given they were always among my very favorite riddell models - gotta love the transition era they represent. a couple of years ago i picked up an impregnated maroon tak29 that was fitted with a yellow bd9 facemask that was in great game-used condition, a perfect theisman project lid. anyway, tak29's are great helmets....

a couple of things about the your helmet - a) given that it's dated 1976, you obviously have a vintage lid from an nfl franchise's inaugural season on your hands - that's pretty special b) the side decals on your helmet were also applied before the suspension unit was installed, another rare and special aspect of your helmet c) your helmet shows the classic signs of vintage side decal "shrinkage" that has left a perimeter of decal adhesive along the vinyl edges. just a great looking lid albeit it appears to have very lightly usage...

here are some photos of some seahawks sporting tak29 lids - herrera 1978 (top left), mccullum 1976 (top right), evans 1977 (bottom left), bebout 1979 (bottom right). frankly i think you should throw a dungard 140 on it to give it the evans look - but the kenny easley look isn't too bad either!

robert

i believe that is the same lid that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago - for a very reasonable price i might add (imo). but the ebay lid was fitted with a 70s nop, not an xl jop. when i first started collecting helmets i acquired quite a few tak29's given they were always among my very favorite riddell models - gotta love the transition era they represent. a couple of years ago i picked up an impregnated maroon tak29 that was fitted with a yellow bd9 facemask that was in great game-used condition, a perfect theisman project lid. anyway, tak29's are great helmets....

a couple of things about the your helmet - a) given that it's dated 1976, you obviously have a vintage lid from an nfl franchise's inaugural season on your hands - that's pretty special b) the side decals on your helmet were also applied before the suspension unit was installed, another rare and special aspect of your helmet c) your helmet shows the classic signs of vintage side decal "shrinkage" that has left a perimeter of decal adhesive along the vinyl edges. just a great looking lid albeit it appears to have very lightly usage...

here are some photos of some seahawks sporting tak29 lids - herrera 1978 (top left), mccullum 1976 (top right), evans 1977 (bottom left), bebout 1979 (bottom right). frankly i think you should throw a dungard 140 on it to give it the evans look - but the kenny easley look isn't too bad either!

Thanks Robert. The 3 JOP XL's a mask that I always wanted to see on a true Seahawks suspension helmet, let alone a TAK 29. Visually, it's one of the most appealing to me, so, to have this mask on this helmet is a dream come true. Plus, I already have the DG 140 mask on my Coffield/Lynch helmet.

"i believe that is the same lid that sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago - for a very reasonable price i might add (imo). but the ebay lid was fitted with a 70s nop, not an xl jop."

Yep, this is that helmet. I'm saving the 2 NOP mask for my Mike Curtis lid , or, if I ever find a pic. with that #75 player wearing this helmet with the 2 NOP. It will be represented.

Bought my first GU helmet today!! It's a Miami Dolphins helmet from the early 80's. Bought it from Jim Yackel and according to him the original facemask was replaced with a newer one in the 90's. Shows great use, can't wait until I get it!

Name:  xxDolphins03-09JG.jpg
Views: 2979
Size:  208.1 KB

Jason:

Any idea who used it? I didn't know that the Dolphins ever used Pac44 helmets...

Banned

My helmet is better then all of your helmets!! lol lol