Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Show me your Game Used NFL Helmet

Attached are pictures of a bar code label that is in the dome of a LA Ram helmet that I have. I don't think these have ever been discussed. Also is the date stamp and a outside view. Does the numbers on the bar code label reveal anything as far as date of manufacture?

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by helmets
    wow, manufactured on my birthday, 02/08. given that it was molded in 1988, it would have certainly been available for the 1990 super bowl. but given that smith's first year in the league was 1985, this would mean that he moved to a new helmet relatively quickly, after only 3 years (i.e., he couldn't have worn this helmet before the 1988 season). or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988). when i get a chance i'll see if i can dig up any quality photos of smith during those years...

Quote Originally Posted by rkgibson
    Attached are pictures of a bar code label that is in the dome of a LA Ram helmet that I have. I don't think these have ever been discussed. Also is the date stamp and a outside view. Does the numbers on the bar code label reveal anything as far as date of manufacture?
    in 1987 schutt introduced the serial number decal you've pictured - at this time they also started to include the date the helmet was assembled (drilled for holes, etc.), i.e. helmets now included two pieces of date info: the date it was manufactured (molded) and the date it was prepared to leave the factory (assembled). the assembly date could be up to 6 months later than the manufacturing (molding) date.

when the serial number decals were first introduced, the assembly date was heat stamped on the exterior back of the helmet, usually below the logo. later on the assembly date was moved from the back on the lid to the serial number decal where it was ink-stamped using a letter date code (as used with schutt facemasks) or a numerical date code.

the long number following the "sn" does have significance but it does not pertain to a date - it represents the helmet's assembly turn. for example, sn4189626 means that the helmet was the 4,189,626th helmet to have been assembled as of the date schutt took ownership. the above sn was taken from a 1999 schutt helmet i own - your 1988 helmet was the 328,848th helmet assembled. that means that 3,860,778 helmets were assembled in the 11 years that separate our two helmets for an average of about 351,000 helmets per year.

fwiw, within the last couple of years the sn number has changed to reflect the production lot as opposed to the assembly turn. the production lot number is a code for such things as model number, color, size, date info, etc.

robert

I can read Roger and Robert's posts all day. They are an enormous asset to this hobby. Thanks Gents!

Quote Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
    wow, manufactured on my birthday, 02/08. given that it was molded in 1988, it would have certainly been available for the 1990 super bowl. but given that smith's first year in the league was 1985, this would mean that he moved to a new helmet relatively quickly, after only 3 years (i.e., he couldn't have worn this helmet before the 1988 season). or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988). when i get a chance i'll see if i can dig up any quality photos of smith during those years......
    Thanks Robert;
    Looking forward to seeing them. The shot that I posted from Getty - from the SB showing the inside of the helmet matches very nicely for the interior. I contacted Getty, and they want $150 for the photo - not sure I am ready to pull the trigger on that one. The paint loss on the rear sizer teeth matches the photo as do the worn jawpads and chinstrap. There is even a stain (spot) on the right side of the front sizer in the photo that is also on the helmet.

Thanks for the effort.

"........or it could be that the helmet sat around for a year or two and he wasn't issued it until the 1990 season (even though it was manufactured in 1988)."

I have found this to be quite common practice.

Just picked up..."the Snake"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nice Plummy Lid! I always thought he got a raw deal here in Denver...

Thanks,

Tom

Very cool Plummer helmet!! Also, you did a great job matching it to photos.

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Hello all! Could someone educate me how to read the date code as indicated above as "02/08" as deciphered by aeneas01?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I concentrate on ACC game worn helmets primarily.

Many thanks,Tom

nice lid "helmets" - if i remember correctly, i think the date code on that helmet is '97 which would mean it might be the first helmet plummer was issued (i.e. his rookie helmet). i think the item description mentioned other info on the inside of the helmet as well (h.c. (hard cup), opo, vsr4l (large) and b.u. although i'm not sure they got the b.u. right, did they?).

tom 1315 - the date code is not a straight forward deal. for example the last number signifies the year the helmet was manufactured but other factors need to be considered as well such as the date code location on the helmet, whether or not letters follow the numbers, what the first number of the series is, etc... if you have some dates your curious about shoot me an email and i will get back to you....

robert