Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

The best baseball signers as a group are former MLB players who are now managers and coaches in the minor league system-BY FAR. They are viewed as old guys by many young minor league players and when fans in the stands are asking for the coaches autograph and not that of the player, it raises the coaches' stock in the minds of the player who now realize that the coach may know what their talking about. One ignorant player for the Aberdeen Ironbirds(class A -Orioles)upon seeing me ask for Andy Etchebaren's autograph on a baseball card asked Andy,"You used to play?" Andy would have signed all day for the respect it gave him.

Here's another from the creep file:

*Willie Horton: He did an outside event for a promoter a few years ago. My son and I went down to get him and a few other 68 Tigers on a summer afternoon during the Woodward Dream Cruise. Went thru the line and got my item (bat) signed by Willie. On way out the promoter stopped me as my son and I decided to go back thru and just get a picture with him empty handed. Promoter asked me to take some of his own stuff thru (this was a freebie signing). I said sure, we're going thru again... We get up there and Willie looks at me and says, "you guys been thru all ready, I'm not signing your stuff." I told him the stuff was for the promoter who was cowering in the corner. I mentioned I really did not care if he signed or not - all I wanted was a freakin picture. I then hollered over to the promoter and he looked so embarrased. Willie looked at me and said, "Well, if it's for the boy..." After I commented again it was for the PROMOTER he signed the stuff and took the picture.

Sad day, this guy acted like he was some superstar, you get outta Detroit city limits and nobody will remember him. Promoter was trying to pull something there, and here my little boy and I just wanted to get a stinkin' picture. He's 11 now and does not remember the incident which is fine by me. Willie, your still a star in your own mind m'man...

Good guy file:

*Frank Howard: Does not matter how many times I see this fine gentleman, he's the role model of good guy personified. What a class act. I doubt there is a mean bone in his huge body, just all heart. He'll stand and talk to anybody all day about nothing while paint dries on a wall. Just a breath of fresh air. He could send a baseball somewhere though!

RK

Creep file continued:

*Mark McGwire: I'm on a roll here. Get his auto after a Tiger game in the late 80's at a show. He's married but has a hottie sitting practically on his lap the whole signing. No attention to the customers. Fast forward to the 90's. He's a superstar now and just parked one over the roof at old venerable Tiger Stadium. I'm out by the bus now and just want a pic and hollered over to say what a shot that day. He looked at me like I was the lowest form of life and then got on the bus. Time was frozen there for a minute.

Get over yourself Mark, go juice some more and stay in hiding...

Carlton Fisk is also a grumpy SOB.

I think that if I were in any of these people shoes, and I wanted to avoid allowing other to profit from my autograph, I would simply insist that every autograph I give was personalized. Being a collector and not a reseller I would actually prefer a "To Dan" with whatever I got. I imagine that would lessen the resale value, but to me that doesn't matter.

Why don't more of these athletes take this approach?

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Good guy file:

*Frank Howard: Does not matter how many times I see this fine gentleman, he's the role model of good guy personified. What a class act. I doubt there is a mean bone in his huge body, just all heart. He'll stand and talk to anybody all day about nothing while paint dries on a wall. Just a breath of fresh air. He could send a baseball somewhere though!

RK

+1 A true gentle giant

Now that I know we're talking 1986 here, but I got this Bench through the mail back then....

I love how he signed it in a way so that the pic is unobstructed.

Johnny Bench the 3rd baseman, hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    +1 A true gentle giant
    Speaking of gentle giants, I saw, and got some things signed by, Adam Dunn this morning. What a nice guy! The way he chats and jokes with fans, you'd think he was at a backyard barbeque.

Knowing that he may not be with the team next season, I told him, "Adam, I don't know what's going to happen next year, but on behalf of DBacks fans, I just want you to know that we won't forget you. We've really enjoyed watching you play, and we'll always be fans." He said, "I really appreciate that", and I could see in his eyes that he genuinely did. Then he shook my hand with one the size of a whole beef roast.

For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Speaking of gentle giants, I saw, and got some things signed by, Adam Dunn this morning. What a nice guy! The way he chats and jokes with fans, you'd think he was at a backyard barbeque.

Knowing that he may not be with the team next season, I told him, "Adam, I don't know what's going to happen next year, but on behalf of DBacks fans, I just want you to know that we won't forget you. We've really enjoyed watching you play, and we'll always be fans." He said, "I really appreciate that", and I could see in his eyes that he genuinely did. Then he shook my hand with one the size of a whole beef roast.

For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.
    Hey Godwulf, I sent a bat into that signing! I'm glad to hear your comments. I sent the bat and am having it inscribed as well. Living in Michigan the chances of getting him to sign it in person are zip. I agree, he may possibly not be back with AZ next year. Where do you think he'll end up? I'm pulling for him to hit his 40th in the next 2 days...

PS: What did you get signed??

RK

Dunner is a great guy, I remember when I was in St. Louis for a day game and he comes out joking and talking with the fans. Some old lady yells "Hey Adam, I have a beer and a hot dog for you" Adam yells back, sorry I quit drinking (joking). She said what about the hot dog and Dunn tells her he quit eating to as he pats his stomach.

As a Reds fan I loved Dunn, really hoping to see that 40th home run also! It will be interesting to see who lands him, I could see him fitting with a number of teams.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.