Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    If the story is essentially true, Bench and his fans have nothing about which to complain, in my opinion.

People who've slammed the poster for "violating the rules" about only books being signed are assuming that such was the case at that particular signing, and we don't know that it was. At the Garigiola signing I mentioned earlier, no such rule existed or I wouldn't have asked Joe to sign my baseball and photo.

The part of the story that I find distasteful is the whole money business. If Bench didn't want to sign the bat, a polite "Sorry, I'm only here to sign books" would have said it all - and if the fan persisted or whined or got angry, then he would have been the jerk. Sending the fan to talk to his son - as though talking about money was somehow beneath him, and something to be delegated to others - is just weird.
    I think my point is being missed. Because one person had a bad experience with Bench, two internet threads now exist bashing Bench. Is that really fair to Bench?

From what gather the original poster did everything in a correct and polite way. He first asked, retreived the bat, and got it signed. He didn't carry it with him expecting it to be signed. And who wouldn't blame him for being annoyed at the price request only after Bench signed, especially when he didn't have the money on hand that Bench was asking. But still, an unfavorable personal encounter between two individuals doesn't need to be reported, especially when that report is just going to fuel more unfavorable responses. I mean what kind of idiot burns a Bench autograph because Bench was a jerk to someone else? And people wonder why players do not necessarily like to sign autographs.

Just chalk it up to him having a bad day. People are still allowed to have those.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    If the story is essentially true, Bench and his fans have nothing about which to complain, in my opinion.

People who've slammed the poster for "violating the rules" about only books being signed are assuming that such was the case at that particular signing, and we don't know that it was. At the Garigiola signing I mentioned earlier, no such rule existed or I wouldn't have asked Joe to sign my baseball and photo.
    Yes, I am "assuming" that this was the case. Historically however, any book signing that features a Hall of Famer will have notifications clearly dictating that no other items will be signed. The poster is not being slammed by others here. They are merely opinions and replies to which you may not agree. Afterall isn't this forum supposed to be for the free and open exchange of ideas? Most importantly, wouldn't you like to hear Johnny Bench's side of the story? I'm quite certain it would be contrasting. Isn't it just a little odd that this individual can remember the exact conversation verbatim? Sounds self serving. Again, just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899 View Post
    Yes, I am "assuming" that this was the case. Historically however, any book signing that features a Hall of Famer will have notifications clearly dictating that no other items will be signed.
    I've been to at least one, myself, where that wasn't the case, so I guess I have reason to at least give the fan in question the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899
    The poster is not being slammed by others here.
    Okay, well, maybe "slammed" was not the appropriate word. Looking back, it appears that the worse thing he's been called is a "knucklehead", and even my mother called me that. Pretty frequently, as I recall.

They are merely opinions and replies to which you may not agree. Afterall isn't this forum supposed to be for the free and open exchange of ideas?
    And I wouldn't have it any other way. My only point was that it really isn't fair to the fan to "assume" that he was breaking a rule, and then criticize him - even if it's only calling him a "knucklehead" - for breaking a rule that may or may not have been in force. That's my opinion...not that anyone should shut up and not express theirs - just that the opinion being expressed would seem to be based more on conjecture than known fact.

Most importantly, wouldn't you like to hear Johnny Bench's side of the story? I'm quite certain it would be contrasting.
    Absolutely. And if Bench's side of the story was 180 out from the fan's, who would you believe?

Isn't it just a little odd that this individual can remember the exact conversation verbatim? Sounds self serving. Again, just an opinion.
    When something that confrontational and disturbing happens, I think it's only natural for the average person to go over it again and again in his or her head - yes, absolutely making it fairly easy to remember a conversation verbatim. I'm 54 year old, and I can remember - pretty accurately, I think - a few very dramatic confrontations in which I was involved forty years ago.

I think the bottom line is that none of us was there, and that perhaps more than a little of all of our reactions to the story is dictated by our preconceptions - about athletes, fans, autograph seekers, and so forth.

Godwuf,

I appreciate your reply. I've been stuck behind these "knuckleheads" in line often enough that it sours the athlete's mood by the time you get up him. I will use nitwit next time to describe this type of practice. Enjoyed your post! Thanks, Dan

Oh, jeez, don't get me started on some of the people you encounter in signing lines.

It's gotten so about every other time I go to a signing now, I end up swearing that I'll never do it again.

I was in line to meet Steve Garvey last Saturday, and there was a guy who wanted his picture taken with Steve, and his wife tried for almost a minute to get her camera phone to snap a photo - all the while, Garvey and this guy are head to head, smiling at the camera like idiots.

I had Rain Man standing directly behind me for forty minutes, talking non-stop about whatever popped into his head to whoever would listen. ("I'm going to the ASU game after this. I think I'm going to change my shirt first. Do you like Steve Garvey?")

In situations like that, I need to remember to take an oxycontin and wear my radio headphones. The building could then be burning down around me and I'd be cool.

Banned

I had a real good experience with Bench at a show. It was only 25.00 to get an autograph. He asked me where to sign it and with what kind of pen? He shook my hand. He asked if I needed a picture with him. I got more than my 25.00 worth to meet my childhood hero. I've read a ton of books about pro athletes and I haven't met one yet that loves to sign things. If I was in their shoes, I think I would hate it too. All these fans never leaving you alone-sign this, sign this...Then half the stuff or more ends up on ebay for a tidy profit. I'm with Bench. It would annoy me.
    Greg
    biggamebird@yahoo.com

Another good guy story. Back in Chicago in '93. Joe Morgan signing at the National. I left his $15 auto. ticket in the hotel by mistake. Get to the show, realize I left it behind, drop my brother and a friend there and go back to the hotel. Coming back I got off in the wrong area and apparently was going wrong way on a one way street... Cop pulls me over and following ensues:

Cop: Where ya from?
    Me: Michigan Sir.
    Cop: Who's vehicle is this?
    Me: Father's. We have the same name, I'm a JR.
    Cop: You know what you did wrong back there
    Me: Yes, I do now.
    Cop: Any relatives in the Chicago area?
    Me: No sir, here for the show.
    Cop: Where in MI are you from?
    Me: Port Huron, about an hour north of Detroit.
    Cop: I'm going to get in my car, and I want you to follow me to the station...
    Me: Why, I'll pay whatever fine, I don't understand...
    Cop: Just do it.

We head to the station. Cop orders me to pay a $75 fine. I had the money but said I did not. He let me go, told me if I ever hit IL again and it was not paid I'd be arrested.

I go to the show, get up to Morgan, he asks how I am today... I tell him this story. He asks if I have another ball. I did. He takes it and has every autograph guest there sign it - returns it and says, "there, sell this and you should be able to get $75 for it. Hope the rest of your weekend goes better..."

Class act!

Why do we honor these ass clowns with more momentos and photos in our homes,than our own family? They should know by now that a guy with one baseball in his hand is not a dealer.
    As far as Bench is concerned if this is what you made your entire career and your one of the best(Berra,Capanella)at your position you'd be grumpy to:
    Team [Click for Roster]Uniform NumbersSalaryAll-StarWorld Series1967 Cincinnati Reds5$11,000.00--1968 Cincinnati Reds5$20,000.00Stats-1969 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1970 Cincinnati Reds5$40,000.00StatsStats1971 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1972 Cincinnati Reds5$80,000.00StatsStats1973 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1974 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1975 Cincinnati Reds5$200,000.00StatsStats1976 Cincinnati Reds5$200,000.00StatsStats1977 Cincinnati Reds5$220,000.00Stats-1978 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1979 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1980 Cincinnati Reds5UndeterminedStats-1981 Cincinnati Reds5Undetermined

Asfar as his web site and his prices,I was all ready to bash him but I must admit considering who he is,they are extremely fair:

http://www.johnnybench.com/autograph_information.php

Banned

Yea, good point. He never made the money these bums make today. Nice story about Morgan too. Love both these guys.
    Greg

For years and years, the most compliant and happy celebrity signers have been politicians in office. This is as they see every autograph seeker as a potential voter. Hand them an election banner or campaign photo, and they will act as if it's their honor to sign it. Kiss your baby, sign your photo, that's part of their job.