Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Terrible Johnny Bench autograph story

Looks like the big Donkey got it tonight! Another 40 home run season.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Looks like the big Donkey got it tonight! Another 40 home run season.
    Yea, following godwulf's words regarding the Dunn signing and then that 454' shot he hit to make it FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS OF 40+ HRS... For a guy with limited attention given to him, maybe he'll cash in as a free agent this year...

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    For anybody coming out to the Arizona Fall League, I don't think it's been formally announced, but Max Scherzer told me this morning that's he's going to get some more innings in pitching for the Phoenix Desert Dogs. His idea, and the team agreed to let him do it.
    I'll be there. A good friend of mine...well...let's just say he knows some players and I'm tagging along. As much as I hate the D'Backs (Dodgers fan here), there are some guys I cheer for and Scherzer is one of them.

So far, I have yet to have a negative experience about any of the athletes I've met. In my line of work, I've had the privilege of meeting several athletes and sports personnel (owners, GMs etc) at their homes and all have been very pleasant. The only one who has ever turned down an autograph was Al Davis but he was polite and I'm sure he has his reasons.

I'd also like to note that I'm surprised by Reggie Jackson since I thought he was a collector as well. It may have been misinterperated but I wasn't there so I can't judge. Honestly, nothing surprises me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    Hey Godwulf, I sent a bat into that signing! I'm glad to hear your comments. I sent the bat and am having it inscribed as well. Living in Michigan the chances of getting him to sign it in person are zip. I agree, he may possibly not be back with AZ next year. Where do you think he'll end up? I'm pulling for him to hit his 40th in the next 2 days...

PS: What did you get signed??
    I just got two baseballs and two photos signed - one each for me and my sister - and a signature on my latest souvenir batting helmet (#4) that I get all Diamondbacks to sign.

The promoter's wife, who was sitting there punching the signing tickets, asked me, "Only five?" - 'cause she's used to me having a lot more stuff, particularly bats, for the guys to sign - and I said, "Yeah, well, I haven't got any of Adam's bats, yet." Adam says, "I've got a lot of bats to give away. I always give away a lot of stuff at the end of the season." I didn't want to embarrass him by asking if I could have or buy one, surrounded as we were by a hundred other people who I'm sure would love to have a Dunn bat, too, so I didn't say anything. If I could have done so privately, I'd have offered to put his bats up for auction to benefit his favorite charity, or something, and gotten (at least) one bat that way.

Oh, well. I'll have to wait and see what my team source can do for me. It won't be free, and it probably won't even be cheap, but I'll get one eventually.

Godwulf...not to hijack this thread but if you're ever going to a signing with Eric Byrnes as a guest, please let me know. I recently picked up his GU batting helmet from the 2005 season with Baltimore that I'd love to get signed.

Thanks

whhp72@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Godwulf...not to hijack this thread but if you're ever going to a signing with Eric Byrnes as a guest, please let me know. I recently picked up his GU batting helmet from the 2005 season with Baltimore that I'd love to get signed.

Thanks

whhp72@yahoo.com
    Byrnes is supposed to be doing a local signing in November. As the time gets closer, and I get details, I'll let you know...and if you want to spring for a signing ticket and return shipping, I'd be glad to help a fellow collector out and get it signed for you.

godwulf1@cox.net

Yes...certainly let me know. I obviously would pay for the signing ticket and return postage. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I just got two baseballs and two photos signed - one each for me and my sister - and a signature on my latest souvenir batting helmet (#4) that I get all Diamondbacks to sign.

The promoter's wife, who was sitting there punching the signing tickets, asked me, "Only five?" - 'cause she's used to me having a lot more stuff, particularly bats, for the guys to sign - and I said, "Yeah, well, I haven't got any of Adam's bats, yet." Adam says, "I've got a lot of bats to give away. I always give away a lot of stuff at the end of the season." I didn't want to embarrass him by asking if I could have or buy one, surrounded as we were by a hundred other people who I'm sure would love to have a Dunn bat, too, so I didn't say anything. If I could have done so privately, I'd have offered to put his bats up for auction to benefit his favorite charity, or something, and gotten (at least) one bat that way.

Oh, well. I'll have to wait and see what my team source can do for me. It won't be free, and it probably won't even be cheap, but I'll get one eventually.
    Please keep me posted as to if you get a few Diamondbacks Dunn bats. I'd like an uncracked one! skyking442@hotmail.com Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    The best baseball signers as a group are former MLB players who are now managers and coaches in the minor league system-BY FAR. They are viewed as old guys by many young minor league players and when fans in the stands are asking for the coaches autograph and not that of the player, it raises the coaches' stock in the minds of the player who now realize that the coach may know what their talking about. One ignorant player for the Aberdeen Ironbirds(class A -Orioles)upon seeing me ask for Andy Etchebaren's autograph on a baseball card asked Andy,"You used to play?" Andy would have signed all day for the respect it gave him.
    I have to agree. I have kind of made it a rule not to ask anyone for an autograph unless they are older than I am, which rules out just about every active athlete. I have had some very nice conversations with retired ballplayers in minor league parks, especially when I am able to comment about seeing him play. I remember one guy back in the 80s was on one baseball card..a 1958 Topps. I found it out of a common pile and took it to the game, I think I made his evening.