Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Paul O'neill bats

Hi, guys. I have a couple C243 bats from the Yankee days and an M110 from Cincinnati but do either of you know of any other models used by O'Neill? I once heard him mention during a Yankee telecast that he predominantly used these models but I just wondered if there were any others. Thanks, Terry.

Re: Paul O'neill bats

Terry I have an O'Neill LS model L159 from around 93-94 and a Young from 1998. Hope that helps. Rob

L159 is very interesting. Would you happen to have scans of that?

Terry - O'Neill's first orders date back to 1984. That year he ordered S2, P89 and C271 model bats. From 1985 to June 15th, 1990, he ordered only M110 and M110 C bats except for two orders - one for M253 bats in 1986 and one for S318 bats in early June, 1990. From 1990 through the end of his career, he primarily ordered S318 and C243 model bats. He started ordering C243 model bats in 1993 with the Yankees and that's really all he used until he retired except for the next few models below. There is one order for L159 bats in 1993, two orders for K75 bats in1994 and one order for R43 bats in 1992. Early in his career with the Reds, he primarily ordered 34" and 34.5" bats that weighed 31 - 32 ounces. I have owned a few early gamers and always found it to be quite interesting as to how small a bat he used back then. Starting in 1993, he went to a 35" bat with weights primarily in the 34 ounce to 35 ounce range. The bat I sold you weighs a ton compared to what he used with the Reds.

Hope that helps! Jim

I agree. When you hold the two of them side by side it's hard to believe the same guy used both models. If RSBbats above sells me that L159, I will love him forever.

how about colors?
    I've got 2 2001 gamers
    One is his traditional blond bat--the other is this awesome hickory bat with gold lettering
    I wonder--has onayone else seen this color version?
    pjb

In 2001 O'Neill had 11 orders shipped to him for his professional use -- a total of 210 bats...He also had 5 orders, totaling 60 bats, shipped to "O'Neill Promotions, clearly not intended for professional use. All of the bats in both the professional orders and the promotional orders were Model C243, 35 inches in length, 33 or 34 ounces (professional orders -- promo orders have no specified weight) and had a Flame Treated finish, with one exception---

On 9/24/01 O'Neill was shipped an order, for his professional use, of Model C243, 35 inch/34 ounce bats with a Hickory Finish, which would match the bat you describe. There were 12 bats in the order, and it was the ONLY order of Hickory Finish bats in O'Neill's career...... if the length and weight match, it is a rare O'Neill professional bat for sure.

Note: Apologies to Jim C. but I rarely get to jump in on Yankees bat questions before he answers them.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

When I compare it to the blond bat that I bought from O'Neill's brother its a dead ringer
    Its got a great tape job and fantastic use
    I can't ever rmember seeing him use them in games
    I wonder if they were BP exclusives?
    pjb

Hi pjb--

That's a possibility....look through any archives, photos, tape, etc of the last month of the 2001 season..

Research is the answer here.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com