Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Re: Jersey Display Cases

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Joel, I used the plexiglass route on my bookcases and it turned out great. I am sure others have tried something a little different, but I just picked up some Velcro and cut it to fit a few different places on my bookcase and attach the other side on the plexiglass. This has kept dust and pet hair out and is easy to take off and put back on at anytime.
    Adam,

Thanks for the reply. I am going with plexiglass over glass as you suggested. I realize that the shelves aren’t designed to have a cover but I think it gives added protection to preserve what I have worked hard to collect. The funny thing was the day after I completed the display, it rained here and my dog brought in mud from the backyard into the room. Fortunately, nothing was touched.

I also got another reply from Brett (packfan84) and from his suggestion I will try two pieces of plexiglass on each shelve. One plexiglass will be 3/5 the height of the shelf and will be held by three acrylic hinges and another plexiglass will be 2/5 of the height and will be held by two acrylic hinges. Each will be held closed on the other side by a no bore magnastrike. I will post the results when its completed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joel, I went with plexiglass, and had it cut into two pieces at Lowes. Just make sure you give them exact measurements. I have cut plexi myself, and it is a pain. I thought one piece might be too heavy. You can even notice, because they meet at one of the shelves (the permanent one).

I used some brackets on the left side, which you can see in the photo, and a few pieces of black velcro on the right side. Works like a charm. You have to pre-drill the holes for the bracket screws, and you need to cut the nubs off the screws off from inside the plexiglass, because they stick out. I used a hand nail cutter. $10 or so from Home Depot.

Lastly, I added a remote control LED light picked up from Amazon.com. It gives the display a much more professional look with the light on, I believe.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by esquiresports View Post
    Joel, I went with plexiglass, and had it cut into two pieces at Lowes. Just make sure you give them exact measurements. I have cut plexi myself, and it is a pain. I thought one piece might be too heavy. You can even notice, because they meet at one of the shelves (the permanent one).

I used some brackets on the left side, which you can see in the photo, and a few pieces of black velcro on the right side. Works like a charm. You have to pre-drill the holes for the bracket screws, and you need to cut the nubs off the screws off from inside the plexiglass, because they stick out. I used a hand nail cutter. $10 or so from Home Depot.

Lastly, I added a remote control LED light picked up from Amazon.com. It gives the display a much more professional look with the light on, I believe.

Scott

Scott,

Your display looks great. I will take into consideration your tips when I add the plexiglass. I was looking into gluing clear acrylic hinges after examining my acrylic bat cases.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Scott

Scott,
    How thick is the plexiglass that you used?

Mike

It's the thinner of the two choices. I believe 0.09". It costs $50 for a 6 foot sheet. The thicker plexi would probably tear through anything that isn't solid wood. Really heavy. I would avoid it.

It's the thinner of the two choices. I believe 0.09". It costs $50 for a 6 foot sheet. The thicker plexi would probably tear through anything that isn't solid wood. Really heavy. I would avoid it.
    Thanks

Hi everyone-

I love this forum and I think the cases and locker some of you guys have made are amazing!

I wanted a quick, easy and inexpensive way of displaying my game-used jerseys.

Here’s what I came up with for under $30.

Old display rack from a store. I got it for free since they were going to throw it away, but you should be able to find one on craigslist for around $10.

1” PVC pipe – 10 feet for $4
    1” PVC 4-way - $2.99

Kids Shoulder Pads I asked a local high school for old shoulder pads that failed to pass reconditioning. They are useless to the team, but still work for display. The smaller pads also ensure the game-jersey does not stretch our or warp due to the pads. They were free, but I made a donation to the team of $10 per pair to the school’s football program.

I cut 2 9-inch pieces off of the PVC pipe, and put them into the PVC 4-way. They stay put well enough that I didn’t need to use PVC cement. The 4-way pops right onto the display base.

I cris-crossed the shoulder pad straps and held them in place with a binder clip. This allows you to keep the pads from slumping forward or backwards.

I threw a t-shirt over the pads to keep the gamers from contacting the shoulder pads, and tied the shirt with a rubber band.

Add your favorite game-used jersey, and you have a nice looking display.

Thanks again for all of your great ideas and input,
    Alex
    Attached Images Attached Images           

Quote Originally Posted by alexbartacustoms View Post
    Hi everyone-

I love this forum and I think the cases and locker some of you guys have made are amazing!

I wanted a quick, easy and inexpensive way of displaying my game-used jerseys.

Here’s what I came up with for under $30.

Old display rack from a store. I got it for free since they were going to throw it away, but you should be able to find one on craigslist for around $10.

1” PVC pipe – 10 feet for $4
    1” PVC 4-way - $2.99

Kids Shoulder Pads I asked a local high school for old shoulder pads that failed to pass reconditioning. They are useless to the team, but still work for display. The smaller pads also ensure the game-jersey does not stretch our or warp due to the pads. They were free, but I made a donation to the team of $10 per pair to the school’s football program.

I cut 2 9-inch pieces off of the PVC pipe, and put them into the PVC 4-way. They stay put well enough that I didn’t need to use PVC cement. The 4-way pops right onto the display base.

I cris-crossed the shoulder pad straps and held them in place with a binder clip. This allows you to keep the pads from slumping forward or backwards.

I threw a t-shirt over the pads to keep the gamers from contacting the shoulder pads, and tied the shirt with a rubber band.

Add your favorite game-used jersey, and you have a nice looking display.

Thanks again for all of your great ideas and input,
    Alex
    great post. you idea is macgyveresque
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Banned

Scott

Hey Scott, shoot me an email when you have a chance: nunnari19@yahoo.com

thanks,
    Nick