Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile Re: Glove Experts - OK, what did I buy?

Hey guys,

Jim Daniels just emailed me back and it looks like we are barking up the wrong tree. Jim has an amazing glove collection and memorabilia collection and luckly doesn't live more than 5 miles from my house. Here is his response:

"In regard to that glove, it's cool but it is definitely not 1880's or 90's. I'm so sorry to say that it's a youth glove probably from the teens or possibly even the 20's. I have never seen a webless glove with cloth piping or a laced heel. I have a couple webless gloves and have a lot of pictures of them and they are literally just hands, straight up and down. The suede type interior as opposed to asbestos/wool, indicates that it probably once had a lining and could possibly mean it was made of cowhide and not horsehide. Pre-turn of the century gloves weren't made of cowhide as far as I know. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I want you take what the others posters say with a grain of salt. Bring it over when you get a chance and I'll try to prove myself wrong. I hope I am but the pictures are indicative of a youth glove possibly from the 20's. I have a few of those as well I can show you. I also have some early catalogue pictures I can show you."

Oh well, the mystery was fun for a while!!

Rob L

Re: Glove Experts - OK, what did I buy?

Makes sense. Mucha had the same response in an email he just sent me....

...but unless I am missing something Jim just agreed with everything that I (and Mike) had posted about this glove already: cloth piping, laced heel, lining, shape not being just like a hand are the exact points(almost word for word) I brought up in my posts already...these are all the things we already cited. Jim makes it seem like we were tryng to convince you this was a 19th century glove and he is setting the record straight.

Anyway....Jim's a great guy...just wanted to set the record straight .

The key point is none of us have seen a webless glove that looks like this. SO...If the was truly made w/o a web..what do you have? Wouldn't that mean you have something that has never been idenitfied before? To me that's still a mystery, no??

I agree Joe, the webless thing still bothers me. I will take it over to Jim when it arrives. Rob is in my area also so I can probably have him look at it to. I want to see what Jim has regarding ads but I can't imagine they would be webless. We'll see....

Rob L

HI All,

Just read the threads. I'm sorry if it sounded like I quoted someone. I didn't read any of the posts when I replied to Rob L's e-mail. I just responded to his e-mail without even being a member of this forum yet. Now that I'm a member and have read the posts, it looks like we all have the same thoughts. Didn't mean to suggest that anyone told him bad info.

I have various Peck & Snyder, Sears and Rawlings catalogues and books from that era (1890's to early 1900's or so) and this doesn't look like anything in them. I also have a couple of webless gloves and they don't look like the same style at all. It resembles, in my opinion, a glove from much later. Rob, bring it by when you get a chance. I sure hope I'm wrong as I would love to see you with a true webless.

JD

Welcome Jim. It's great to have a glove expert among the group now. Please feel free to share your knowledge on the board as much as you can. I expect the glove in a week or so (paid with a personal check) but I will bring it over to you when it arrives.

Take care,

Rob L

Hi Jim. Welcome aboard. We haven't corresponded in a while, but it's great to have you join the forum.

Feel free to share pictures of your glove room and wonderful cabinet...I'm sure others would love to see them.

-Joe
    http://www.geocities.com/vintagesportscollector/

Hi Joe,

I didn't know that was you. I took another look at your collection. Wow! That was fun to see again. I would love to share some pictures but I haven't moved into the 21st century yet. Maybe Rob or Rob can help me post some pictures. Nice to hear from you.

Let me know if anyone comes across any hard to find glove oils or conditioners.

Rob L - can't wait to see that glove. I can fax or PDF anyone some of those old catalogue and book pages if they want them.

JD

Hey all,

The glove arrived today. Like we all ultimately figured in the end, it was a bust. Definitely a webbed glove with the webbing removed. Oh well, it was a fun gamble

Rob L

Sorry about that Rob. We've all been there buddy. I paid $100 for a reproduction cabinet photo several years ago. Say, what did you pay for it anyway?

The cost wasn't a killer, i think $156.00. It's livable and I won't feel to bad about trashing it.

Rob L