Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Sid Luckman jersey auction

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    That is great, but did you notice if there was a number change as I was told there was on this jersey? No one has publicly disclosed this information anywhere yet and I assume it is something that should be disclosed sometime, somewhere.
    It was the 1940's and number changes back then were normal to see on a jersey, shoudln't hurt the value or scare away any bidders, especially not with traceable provenance. If one player didn't make the team the jerseys would be recycled to another player and not discarded. What is important is that the number change was vintage and team instituted, and that the jersey with it's changed numbers was then used by that player during the referenced period. I'm sure any info. on the jersey will be disclosed at auction.

Regards,
    Dave

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post
    It was the 1940's and number changes back then were normal to see on a jersey, shoudln't hurt the value or scare away any bidders, especially not with traceable provenance. If one player didn't make the team the jerseys would be recycled to another player and not discarded. What is important is that the number change was vintage and team instituted, and that the jersey with it's changed numbers was then used by that player during the referenced period. I'm sure any info. on the jersey will be disclosed at auction.

Regards,
    Dave
    Dave, I understand it was a common practice, I just have not seen or heard anyone stating that this jersey appears to have a number change. This is something that should be disclosed to any potential bidders, right?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CollectGU View Post

Regards,
    Dave
    Dave, I just had a discussion with an associate and this jersey was brought up in discussion. I asked him about number changes for vintage jerseys of this nature. He gave me some interesting comments which I took notes from.

It was normal back then for jerseys to have number changes, but it still does affect the value tremendously. From his discussions with people in the hobby about this jersey since he saw it listed on eBay, he determined that an original Sid Luckman jersey should bring $50,000 through $75,000 at a major auction house. He then determined that such a jersey with a number change may only be worth $10,000 through $20,000.

When the seller on eBay was offered $27,500 or so, he had not disclosed a number change from all I can tell. I think my friend's guess for what a jersey is worth from this era with a number change may be on the low side, but at the same time this information needs to be disclosed as it does affect the value of the jersey.

Banned

Since I have been told in private email that I was trying to discredit the Sid Luckman jersey - I thought it best to post here that is not the case.

I was stating a fact that has not been mentioned to date. I understand the original eBay seller may not know what a number change is, but before we get all hyped, thinking this is a $100,000 jersey, it should be brought to the public's attention that this jersey has a legitimate number change which will affect the value.

Since I have been told in private email that I was trying to discredit the Sid Luckman jersey - I thought it best to post here that is not the case.

I was stating a fact that has not been mentioned to date. I understand the original eBay seller may not know what a number change is, but before we get all hyped, thinking this is a $100,000 jersey, it should be brought to the public's attention that this jersey has a legitimate number change which will affect the value.
    Joel, why even bring this up until the auction catalogue comes out?

I'd see how it is described by AMI and then I'd start talking about disclosures...

to me it also seems like your trying to discredit the piece, but that's just the way I'm reading it

anyways...have you seen it for yourself?

Have a good weekend!!!

A number change doesn't necessarily affect value when it is institiuted by the team during the time period used, because it makes the numbers original to their use on the field. Number changes that involve restorations to bring the jersey back to it's original on-field state done after the jersey has been retired from field use are very different and do certainly detract from value.

Regards,
    Dave

Trsent,

Your trying to discredit the jerseys translates into, your raising a legitamate question, is going to cost me money.

In my opinion the only thing that matters here is, was Sid Luckman the last player to wear this jersey in a game as it is now with the number changed to his. If the number was changed prior to him wearing it, is only a part of the history of this jersey. I do not see that as a negative. If the number was changed to Luckman's and he in fact never really wore this jersey is the only issue, and a big one. We are back to the provenace, do you believe it?

Roger
    irestorecars@sbcglobal.net

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Trsent,

Your trying to discredit the jerseys translates into, your raising a legitamate question, is going to cost me money.

In my opinion the only thing that matters here is, was Sid Luckman the last player to wear this jersey in a game as it is now with the number changed to his. If the number was changed prior to him wearing it, is only a part of the history of this jersey. I do not see that as a negative. If the number was changed to Luckman's and he in fact never really wore this jersey is the only issue, and a big one. We are back to the provenace, do you believe it?

Roger
    Roger, nice thread.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKGIBSON View Post
    Trsent,

Roger
    Who ever said I was trying to discredit this jersey? What you find as not a negative, real customers may consider as a negative.

I was simply stating the facts - that Lou Lampson has made it clear that there was a number change on the jersey.

I have heard rumors that AMI has this jersey, I do not know this for fact. I do not care who owns the jersey, the original auction on eBay was ended early. I believe eBay has a policy against ending a listing early and selling an item elsewhere, but who cares about that issue?

I am costing you money? What are you talking about? Do you own this jersey? If so, where did you buy it since it was not sold on eBay but there was a paid eBay listing for the jersey with no high bidder so if the item was sold through eBay, did eBay get their commissions? Really, I couldn't care less about this, but I assume the seller changed his mind and kept the jersey until you tell me I am now costing you money? I am so confused.

Where did I ever - show me - state Sid Luckman didn't wear this jersey? First comments I made stated Sid Luckman wore the jersey, but that the numbers were changed. This is a fact it now appears - The original owner, who I bet doesn't know what a number change is, didn't disclose such so I pointed this out. It is the truth, right? So what have I done to discredit this jersey expect state a fact that was not stated in the once eBay listing.

If AMI now has the jersey as rumored, good for them. I was stating a fact about a jersey last seen on eBay in an ended auction. I never said the next owner will not disclose this, but I heard it first and I posted on this forum the facts I have found about this item. I was going to bid on it originally, but the listing disappeared so I was shut out.

Why are you shouting at me again?

Banned

Funny thing I meant to mention but forgot because someone posted that I was costing them money...

At the Cubs game today I was sitting next to a memorabilia dealer. When he brought up the Sid Luckman jersey to me he said something that I never thought of. He said if he had such a jersey to consign to an auction house, American Memorabilia would be his first choice since they get the most money for game used vintage football jerseys.