Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Sid Luckman jersey auction

java - I am beyond amazed that you had this item hanging in your closet and had no idea about its value! You are a lucky, lucky man. Things like that are near impossible to find.

Congrats!

Jim

Luckman is also jewish and jewish collectors pony up big $$$ for vintage jerseys. I'd relist with 'jewish' and 'chicago bears' somewhere in the title listing.

Banned

Dave Bushing is the high bidder. Good luck to the rest of you!!
    Thanks,
    Jamie

Javabob123,
    I would argue that you will literally lose thousands of dollars by selling this on eBay. A higher-end auction house would bring more exposure and reach many more potential bidders. I'm sure many of us could give you helpful ideas on where to consign the jersey.
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by SkubeBats View Post
    Dave Bushing is the high bidder. Good luck to the rest of you!!
    Thanks,
    Jamie
    How do you know this for sure?

Greetings:

Jamie: What's the significance of Dave Bushing? Curious.

I'm open to suggestions, but $10,000 is on the board after one day...how much can an auction site really bring in (after commission)?

Thanks,

Java

$10,000 with nine days left. Starting bid was $15. I bet Luckman never made 10 grand for a full season with the Bears.

Banned

Java you are correct 10k in the first day is a great start on the jersey. Dave Bushing is a vintage sports dealer.

You will have alot of interest in the jersey as you should. I will be watching the jersey close with interest. If you want to talk more about this particular jersey and my thoughts you can email me:
    officialjosportsinc@hotmail.com

Jarrod

Next to a Halas jersey..................
    it just doesn't get any better than this.

Easily the most amazing and historically significant jersey this Bears collector has EVER seen. Good luck with the sale, javabob!

Quote Originally Posted by javabob123 View Post
    Greetings:

Jamie: What's the significance of Dave Bushing? Curious.

I'm open to suggestions, but $10,000 is on the board after one day...how much can an auction site really bring in (after commission)?

Thanks,

Java
    dave bushing is a sports memorabilia collector and dealer - i think the post that referenced bushing was meant to be taken as an alert that your jersey has come to the attention of those (including bushing) that make a living purchasing and selling rare, vintage sports items - those that are well versed in spending significant sums for special items. bushing is also a sports memorabilia authenticator so if he is indeed bidding on your item i would assume it implies that he believes that it's the real deal and is well aware of its potential value on the open market.

for more on bushing and the folks he works with (known as mears), you can check out this link to their website store.

http://www.mearsonline.com/forsale/

as far as your jersey is concerned, it looks like a real find to me but i am by no means an expert when it comes to vintage jerseys. nonetheless, i did not find anything on the net that would appear to rule out your jersey belonging to luckman - quite to the contrary in fact. one thing i did find very interesting is that it appears luckman was the only chicago bears player to have ever been issued the number 42. if this is true, which the bears' alltime roster seems to support, then it would appear that your jersey could have only belonged to luckman - in other words, it can't be argued that perhaps it's a game used jersey that was issued to and worn by another player after luckman had retired. imo this is significant.

here's a vintage college all-star jersey, circa mid 40s, that sports the same "may & halas" tag as yours.

here's a photo of a vintage bears jersey, said to be circa late 40s despite early 40s font, that also sports the same "mays & halas" tag as yours - it sold for $5,500 in february at auction. it was described as most likely belonging to hank norberg and/or ed cody. needless to say, these players don't even begin to enter the conversation when discussing a player like luckman who was one of the greatest players in nfl history and is an nfl hall of famer.

here's a photo of one of luckman's jersey hanging in the hall of fame - i'm sure the hall would love to get their hands on your jersey...

here are a few photos of luckman....

as i mentioned before, it seems to me that you have a real winner on your hands - as far as i can tell the only scenario that could undermine the authenticity of your jersey is if a jersey expert can demonstrate that this exact style of jersey, including the tags, was also known to have been used by high school and/or college teams during that era. i only mention this because this is often the case when it comes to vintage football helmets from this period - for example, many of the early riddell rt helmets that the pros wore were also worn by college and high school teams - exact same color schemes, exact same models.

but i'm pulling for you - i hope your jersey proves to be the real deal and that it brings a record amount at auction! your story is just another example of why collecting sports memorabilia is such great fun!

robert