Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: boggs bat?

Re: boggs bat?

Hi guys - I have been watching the thread - been traveling this week and thought I would post once the new photos were up and you received the bat.

Here are my thoughts:

• The "26" on the knob actually looks ok for that time period.
    • The tar application does not look correct at all - it appears to have been wiped or brushed on evenly. I would be concerned with that.
    • With tar in the center location like you would see - you would also tend to see an application around the lower handle near the knob - that would concern me in this case with the lack of tar at the lower end of the handle.
    • Use should be consistent with the amount of tar. If you do not see any ball marks, rack marks, cleat marks, etc. and it has the amount of pine tar pictured - that is a red flag for sure.
    • It's hard to tell the wood quality from the pics you have - but if there are knots in the wood, I agree - it is unlikely that Boggs would use a bat like that.
    The "26" may be legitimate and penned by Boggs The bat may have made it into Boggs hands - then signed - never used and someone added the tar later?

Or - Boggs added the tar, penned the knob, signed it and never used it?

Tough to tell without seeing it in person.

I would personally return the bat because of Bullet Points 2, 3 and 4 above AND the fact that Mike pointed out earlier that no C235 bats ( non-cupped ) were ordered by the Red Sox during the 86-89 period. There are too many Anaconda Kay bats and promotional / miscellaneous orders for this model during this period. I am sure the seller would accept a return.

Let me know how else I can help - thanks, Jim

thanks jim.
    now i have to deal with the seller in sending it back. i bought it from B&E which i have never delt with before. i hope joe takes it back.

i talked with joe at B&E and told him about the bat. he was very nice and apologized for the error. appearently he didn't know the bat was not ligit.