Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Banned

Re: Players you dislike!

Baseball:
    Tim Redding (waved his hand in "don't bother me" fashion when I asked for his cracked bat, then gave it to someone else when he left the field).
    Matt Stairs: (Lied to me about a bat being cracked and then gave it to another fan after coonfirming that it was).
    Jason Giambi: (Nothing to do with 'roids..he promised me a cap (c. 2000) when I gave him a matted Mickey Mantle 2 pg. magazine ad, then ignored me afterwards).

Football: Any of the IDIOTS (Burress, Pac Man, Vick, etc.) who have engaged in criminal behavior.

Basketball: Same as football, plus Lebron James (based on a cheap shot he took at former President George W. Bush in a 2009 interview).

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Basketball: Same as football, plus Lebron James (based on a cheap shot he took at former President George W. Bush in a 2009 interview).
    What did he say? Just curious, in your book, is a political disagreement enough to add a player to your dislike list?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    What did he say? Just curious, in your book, is a political disagreement enough to add a player to your dislike list?
    I guess "dislike" is in the eye of the beholder. James was asked by a reporter who he'd like to dunk on if he had a choice of anyone to posterize. Rather than cite an NBA opponent, he mentioned Bush, adding comments to the effect of "I'd like to put him on his ass", and "I'd like to embarass him".

It's a free country...he can say that, but I'm also free to dislike him and boycott his sponsors because of it. And, being a die-hard conservative, I act with my wallet, not just my words. I don't attend first-run movies, buy either local daily newspaper, or watch network or local news because of what I feel are raw deals all of those entities give to those who share the beliefs that I do. Again, there's no law prohibiting speaking negatively about conservatives, but there's no law that says I have to spend my money with those critics, either. I guess, Frik, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If the poliitical nature of this post is offensive to some, I apologize, but to properly make my point, I had to explain myself, even if on a partisan basis.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

I guess "dislike" is in the eye of the beholder. James was asked by a reporter who he'd like to dunk on if he had a choice of anyone to posterize. Rather than cite an NBA opponent, he mentioned Bush, adding comments to the effect of "I'd like to put him on his ass", and "I'd like to embarass him".

It's a free country...he can say that, but I'm also free to dislike him and boycott his sponsors because of it. And, being a die-hard conservative, I act with my wallet, not just my words. I don't attend first-run movies, buy either local daily newspaper, or watch network or local news because of what I feel are raw deals all of those entities give to those who share the beliefs that I do. Again, there's no law prohibiting speaking negatively about conservatives, but there's no law that says I have to spend my money with those critics, either. I guess, Frik, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

If the poliitical nature of this post is offensive to some, I apologize, but to properly make my point, I had to explain myself, even if on a partisan basis.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Thanks for explaining. I was just curious, because I too lost respect for a player as a result of his religious and political views. Of course, we differ on politics, but the reasoning may be similar. I used to have more Lance Berkman stuff than Jeff Bagwell, but I decided to sell my Berkman stuff at least partially because of our political disagreements.

In my case, it was because he believed that God put men in positions of leadership in society for a reason, and because he didn't believe in a liberal notion of tolerance. For all I know, Jeff Bagwell could be a die-hard conservative, but with Bagwell at least, he never was outspoken about his political beliefs, judging from the Houston Chronicle.

Thanks again for the explanation. I am glad that I am not alone in losing respect for a player, based on his opinions, whatever they may be.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Banned

Frik:

I recall your original posts expressing your disdain for Berkman's outspokeness regarding his religious beliefs. I don't care for him either...but it's not for the same reasons you do...I just can't stand the fact that he seems to always kill my Cubbies with the bat!

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Frik:

I recall your original posts expressing your disdain for Berkman's outspokeness regarding his religious beliefs. I don't care for him either...but it's not for the same reasons you do...I just can't stand the fact that he seems to always kill my Cubbies with the bat!

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Yeah. There is much more to my dislike of Berkman than merely his conservative beliefs. When he speaks, he comes off as a clown - and I prefer ballplayers to be serious about what they do. Also, he doesn't always run out grounders, and that drives me crazy.

Probably my number one pet peeve for ballplayers is lack of hustle. If you are being payed millions to play a game, you ought to be running out routine grounders. So, with Berkman, when you combine his attitude, his social conservatism, and his lack of hustle, he drives me crazy.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Avid Phils fan, so
    +1 to anyone wearing Mets jersey's....

One of my favorites to hate is Franky Rodriguez, his rediculous
    ritual after a save is laughable....You would think some of these guys
    would fall in line with the best.....Rivera, he acts just as he should, like he's been there before....'Hey K-Rod, your team is 43 games out of first, you didnt save the world there big fella'

Dewey??? come on ? Pete Rose?

Robin Ventura was a good one...forgot about him charging Ryan...he is on my list too !!

I remember hating Bill Buckner for 'letting' the mets win the series in '86, but as I got older, and realized just how awful it must have been for him, and how good of a player he was, I actually have come a full 180 and look to become a collector of him !!

Great thread !

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Yeah. There is much more to my dislike of Berkman than merely his conservative beliefs. When he speaks, he comes off as a clown - and I prefer ballplayers to be serious about what they do. Also, he doesn't always run out grounders, and that drives me crazy.

Probably my number one pet peeve for ballplayers is lack of hustle. If you are being payed millions to play a game, you ought to be running out routine grounders. So, with Berkman, when you combine his attitude, his social conservatism, and his lack of hustle, he drives me crazy.
    Agreed (on lack of hustle). There are only three things that will cause me to boo a ballplayer. That is one, as are cheating (i.e., steroids) or dirty play.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

What Frankie Rodriguez does after games doesn't bother me, it's his obnoxious personality that bothers me. When I go to DC for the Mets games I stay at the same hotel as the Mets (coincidentally the first time and now stay there simply because it's a wonderful hotel in a beautiful area). I don't pay any mind to the players, but after talking to Mets fans that were trying to get autographs they said that Frankie Rodriguez was very disrespectful, thus making it understanding not to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Dewey-

By far, based on the many many interactions I've had with MLB players (at the park, charity events, etc.), Kirk Gibson is hands down the worst player I've ever met.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
    hblkakewolf@patmedia.net

There are many good posts here, but Howard...I was laughing for 10 straight minutes after reading this. Thanks for the story.....LOL.