Forum Readers-

The Phillies item in question is neither a “spring training” jersey or a jersey that was ever worn on the back of Pete Rose for a single inning.

This particular Rose jersey is one of a number of Wilson salesman's samples that came out in 1983. The samples all had differences from team-issued jerseys, void of NOB with teams that used NOBs (such as here) and consistent chain-stitched "83" box tagging in the tail, but no NIC/NIT or set tagging, even if the team itself used it (a legit Phillies Rose game jersey would have a tail strip tag reading "83 1 or 83 2 (depending on set 1 or set 2). Likewise, ROSE should be embroidered in the collar.

When discussing this with uniform guru Dave Miedema, he mentioned that he has seen others including a Cubs home with 12 on the back, but no collar strip tag, and a Giants road with a number on the back, but NO NOB or tagging other than the boxed 83. According to Dave, he saw these at a card show and upon asking the seller for a history on them, was told they were obtained from a friend at Wilson.

Back in the mid 1980’s, I purchased a similar Rose jersey and also a 1983 Red Sox road with 8 on back. The Rose shirt and tagging was identical to the one currently on Ebay. The Red Sox had the Wilson tag in the collar, the 83 tag in the tail. Both were sold to me as 1983 Wilson salesman samples, and later sold by me as such.

Dave and I are both in agreement, that to the best of our knowledge, 1983 is the only year these year tagged samples were made, and they were limited to teams Wilson supplied at the time.

I’ve taken the liberty of providing a few photos of my 1983 game worn Pete Rose jersey. The differences as compared to the current sample:

• Incorrect size 42. Rose wore size 44 with the Phillies.

• Collar should have a black Swiss embroidered last name ROSE.

• The Wilson tag should be in the tail, directly above the year/set tag, not in separated form in the collar.

• The year tag should also have a set identifier next to it (1 or 2). The only exception to this with modern Wilson brand jerseys was in 1984, when several known gamers only have the year.

• The left sleeve should have the Phillies 100th Anniversary patch.

• The back of the jersey should have ROSE, maroon letters sewn on a white plate.
Name:  Dscf2396.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  Dscf2397.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  55.4 KB

Name:  Dscf2398.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  68.9 KB

Thanks to Dave for his insight to this subject.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net