Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Namath's Game Worn Super Bowl Helmet? Nope.

The auction house must alter the description. In fact, they should end the auction and start over from scratch. Maybe, Namath wore this helmet at some time, but the included letter from an impeccable source clouds the water. It has nothing to do with this helmet. Anxious to see Heritage's next step. I agree, it doesn't seem anyone was trying to deceive a potential buyer.
    Aeneas actually DOES research and proves items as bad. Therefore, it is doubtful that most auction houses would hire him.

Banned

Here is what I don't understand esepcially for auction houses when obtaining an item doing the most simple homework by searching gettys or other sources of pictures just to even see if the item is a style match or possible photomatch.
    I NEVER PURCHASE AN ITEM UNLESS I CAN SEE THE PLAYER HAS WORN OR USED ONE JUST LIKE IT.

AM IM NOT BUYING MONUMENTAL SIGNIFICANT ITEMS IM BUYING AVERAGE JOE TYPE OF STUFF.

WHY CANT AUCTION HOUSES DO THIS????? IT TAKES ME FIVE MINUTES WHY CANT THEY TAKE OUT 5 MINUTES????

it appears that heritage has removed the helmet from their site - as recently as this morning the helmet was prominently featured on their home page - now it is nowhere to be found. further, a search with the terms "helmet" or "namath" using their search engine turns up nothing.

however google seems to still have the listing cached - if you type "namath helmet $50,000" into google a link to heritage's listing still appears.

fwiw, i'm not getting a kick out out of this - i actually feel rather bad given that chris ivy at heritage is a very nice guy. as a matter of fact, everyone i have ever spoken to at heritage has always been nothing but extremely nice, courteous and very helpful. it's just an unfortunate incident that heritage, much to their credit, appears to have corrected promptly once it was brought to their attention.

It's still listed as "coming soon" if you search namath on their site. This page comes up
    http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...hdnSearch=true
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

It Just Goes To Show You That Even These Reputable Auction Houses Make Mistakes. They Don`t Do Their Homework On These Pieces. Why They Don`t Take The Time To At Least Find A Photo Match Is Amazing, Especially With A Piece Like This.

[quote=aeneas01;76384 i actually feel rather bad given that chris ivy at heritage is a very nice guy. as a matter of fact, everyone i have ever spoken to at heritage has always been nothing but extremely nice, courteous and very helpful. it's just an unfortunate incident that heritage, much to their credit, appears to have corrected promptly once it was brought to their attention.[/quote]

Why should you feel bad for the auction house ??????

The only emotions you should feel is one of disbelief and relief .

Disbelief that these auction houses can be this stupid ....

Relief that you helped save someone over $50K....

Once again someone on this forum DID their homework for them !!!!!!

I cannot believe the auction house was irresponsible enough to promote such a supposedly great item , with out doing the necessary research .

So they deserve the embarrassment brought upon themselves due to their lack of attention to ALL the details......

Others have said the same thing , blinded by the might dollar !
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

fwiw, i'm not getting a kick out out of this - i actually feel rather bad given that chris ivy at heritage is a very nice guy. as a matter of fact, everyone i have ever spoken to at heritage has always been nothing but extremely nice, courteous and very helpful. it's just an unfortunate incident that heritage, much to their credit, appears to have corrected promptly once it was brought to their attention.
    But really, if an item is supposed to be from a specific game, what should be the first step for the auction house to take?

Maybe glance at a game tape or some still photos? Nah.

I guess we have to commend them for not drilling a second hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's still listed as "coming soon" if you search namath on their site. This page comes up
    http://sports.ha.com/common/view_ite...hdnSearch=true
    that's interesting eric - how did you get to that page? check out the new lot description appearing a the top of the listing. the original listing read: 1969 joe namath super bowl lll game worn helmet. the new listing reads: namath helmet copy....

if and when heritage does relist the helmet i hope they do do in fact list it as a namath "copy" or a namath "reproduction" instead of a namath game worn helmet from the "mid '60s" or some other obscure description that tries to imply that namath once wore this helmet - because, again, imo he never did....

new ad:

original ad:

Ivy and the Heritage gang may be nice but they embarrassed themselves by ignoring evidence that's accessible to anyone with or without a reference library. (They say Lampson's quite a pleasant fellow too, btw.) Like too many houses, they expect us to take their catalogs as fact. I guess they haven't caught on to Google and the whole public collector forum thing either.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

Banned

With your eye for detail aeneas I can only wonder what you do for a living. Split genes? Design space shuttles?

Your thoroughness is a credit to the hobby and an invaluable service to us here at GUU. Thank you again!