Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

old The Duke football

from the 60's found it in my dads old stuff when cleaning out the closet said he got it when he was real young whats something like this worth? any ideas

Banned

Re: old The Duke football

Quote Originally Posted by tkustron View Post
    from the 60's found it in my dads old stuff when cleaning out the closet said he got it when he was real young whats something like this worth? any ideas
    Hi, there are a few variables to consider before trying to figure out an estimated value.

-Is the football a "Thorp", "Pro Pattern" or souvenier football?
    -What commissioner's name is on the football?
    -Are there any team markings or identifiers on the football?
    -Does it hold air?
    -And finally, what is the over-all condition of the football?

These are just a few variables to consider. It would be helpful to post a scan.

Jim

ok I am going to get some scans of it up but it holds air fine needs polished up and it says its official pro league pattern I don't see a comissioners name or team name on it though

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tkustron View Post
    ok I am going to get some scans of it up but it holds air fine needs polished up and it says its official pro league pattern I don't see a comissioners name or team name on it though
    Hi, the only "The Duke" football that was actually used in NFL games in the 1960's were those footballs that carried the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on them.

I have attached a scan of a Bert Bell Duke. Notice the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on the football. Bert Bell was later replaced by Pete Rozelle.

As for "Pro Pattern", those footballs were retail items.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

good quesitons to ask...
    -Is the football a "Thorp", "Pro Pattern" or souvenier football? this one is stamped Thorp
    -What commissioner's name is on the football? commish is Pete Rozelle
    -Are there any team markings or identifiers on the football? it has the green bay packers stamped on one side, "THE DUKE" in the middle, and 1961-1962 world champions on the right side
    -Does it hold air? yup, some.
    -And finally, what is the over-all condition of the football? check the pics

http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckand...eat=directlink

any thoughts on its value??

Are the autographs stamped on the ball or actually signed?

Re: Authentic "The Duke" football

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Hi, the only "The Duke" football that was actually used in NFL games in the 1960's were those footballs that carried the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on them.

I have attached a scan of a Bert Bell Duke. Notice the "Thorp Sporting Goods" stamp on the football. Bert Bell was later replaced by Pete Rozelle.

As for "Pro Pattern", those footballs were retail items.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    Jim,

What if I told you that I do have a Thorp Bert Bell ball? In fact, mine was personal gift handed to me by a famous AFC head coach in the early 70's. I was just a kid. He mentioned something about the Colts and Jets. Hmmm
    Been thinking lately of restoring the ball. Who could I speak to about its current value and the restoration process?

Jeff

Banned

Re: Authentic "The Duke" football

Quote Originally Posted by JB1961 View Post
    Jim,

What if I told you that I do have a Thorp Bert Bell ball? In fact, mine was personal gift handed to me by a famous AFC head coach in the early 70's. I was just a kid. He mentioned something about the Colts and Jets. Hmmm
    Been thinking lately of restoring the ball. Who could I speak to about its current value and the restoration process?

Jeff
    Jeff - I sent you a personal email on avenues to pursue - how did you make out?

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net