Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Show us your ebay steals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    Sylbry i would like to make a generic statement. " whats the point in being a p#$%k" there are a lot of people who watch this sight for a while without putting there two cents on every thread on the forum. also since you have been a member since november of 2005 does that mean you get a blue star from the gameused police? sylbry also who are you two question what someone wants to type in a thread
    Thank You just like in the other post with thome25. When people are asking for help the guys that are fast to bash someone are never there to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    If Zane acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?
    Jim,

Great point. Maybe this will help you.

You stated: If Zane acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?

Answer: No!

However, if Zane acquired a Derek Jeter New York Yankees Minor League Team Game Used and Signed bat, as sold it that way; then

Answer: YES!

See the difference. The bat was sold to Mr. Reed as a Derek Jeter Yankees Minor League Game Used Signed Bat.

You can beat this to death as much as you want. Bottom line, the bat came from Mr. Burns, a very knowledgeable and reputable game used bat collector and dealer, who has been in this hobby a long time. In addition, I don't recall ever seeing anything in the news that discredits Mr. Burns. His reputation speaks for itself.

With that said, I'm done. I provided the facts! Not much more to add.

Tony

What I'm saying is that there is a much higher degree of uncertainty in a generic Yankees bat signed by Jeter than a Jeter named bat displaying Jeter characteristics and signed by Jeter.

Add to that the fact that Zane has not been asked anything (as far as I read here). You are buying a bat from someone who said that they got it from Zane and that is what Zane sold it to them as. If you are happy with the bat, so be it. I'm not trying to discount or discredit anyone, I just dont see anything close to 100% proof (yet).

Banned

Tony - I know quite well who Zane is, as I have purchased from him before.....I have no issue with his reputation.

My point is, that this is a generic "team" bat that a "bat dealer" says was used by Jeter and it is signed by Jeter. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a bat that had Jeter's name on it, that would add to it. I'm not saying anything against Zane, you, or the bat. I'm just calling it like I see it. If Zne acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?

"If" Zane acquired the bat directly from Jeter and offered photographic proof, that would be something different. As it stands right now, it appears to me to be a team bat, signed by Derek Jeter, that came from a well respected dealer of game used bats.

Am I missing something?
    Jim:

No, you are not missing anything.

See my post #28, noting the exact same points:
    Nice generic YANKEES bat that has a Jeter sig. How can you possibly claim and also prove he used this in the minor leagues?

I've obtained plenty of generic Louisville Sluggers directly from the Phillies during the 1980's that simply have PHILLIES in place of an actual players stamped name. Collectors have purchased these from me, and have later had Schmidt and Carlton autograph them. What's to prevent someone from claiming that either Phillies superstar used one of these bats? Although we know these were purchased as generic and never used by either superstar, once they change hands a few time, someone may claim that they obtained it directly after a game in which they saw Schmidt or Carlton use it, and then had him autograph it.

Personally, I could care a less if Zane sold this, or John Taube. Let's put our focus on the bat at hand; a generic Cooper with a Jeter sig.

Once solid evidence can be produced (photo, baseball card, team program, video, etc.) of Jeter using a generic YANKEES Cooper bat in 1994, I'll be the first to agree with Tony that indeed, he secured a real ebay steal!

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

My point is, that this is a generic "team" bat that a "bat dealer" says was used by Jeter and it is signed by Jeter. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a bat that had Jeter's name on it, that would add to it. I'm not saying anything against Zane, you, or the bat. I'm just calling it like I see it. If Zne acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?
    I agree. There is nothing linking this bat to Jeter except for a signature, which I'm sure at the time was not difficult to get. Because of this, I don't believe the bat has great value. It is a nice piece, but it's not something that I could have in my collection and be confident that it was used by Jeter.

Let me also add that you say that it is a "Derek Jeter New York Yankees Minor League Team Game Used and Signed bat" - we've all seen bats (on ebay especially) that say Barry Bonds game used signed bat. When you look at the bat, its a pro stock bat that was used by someone and signed by Bonds....that doesnt make it a Bonds gamer. With the limited amount of text in ebay headings and people's interpretations of what something that they read means, its easy enough to mistake the two or at the very least not understand the difference. A Bonds game used and signed bat is different than a game used bat signed by Bonds, Jeter, Arod or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    Thank You just like in the other post with thome25. When people are asking for help the guys that are fast to bash someone are never there to help.
    Sad, but I'm getting use to it. For whatever reason, some people just thrive off giving grief, than helping. Especially if you're new, and not in the circle of trust (reference to the movie: Meet the Fockers).

I still enjoy this forum and recommend that nobody think about leaving, just because of a few bad eggs with negative attitudes. Many just take it and don't speak out. Otherwise, they'll get trashed like some of you were. Keep the faith!

This forum and it's people have so much to offer. More positive than negative in my book.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post

This forum and it's people have so much to offer. More positive than negative in my book.

Tony
    Great point
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

Banned

Not sure if this is a steal or not - hopefully a forum member will be able to identify the jersey for me.

I got the jersey from eBay. The seller's scans gave the impression that the jersey was red. As such, I was thinking the jersey was an old Falcons jersey. Well, when I got it, I was shocked because the jersey is actually orange. In an attempt to show the actual color of the jersey, I placed a St. Louis Cardinals jacket next to the jersey and I took the scan.

Made by Spanjian, the jersey is a size 44 and it is made out of a heavy-weight durene material. The shoulders are reinforced and are about twice as thick as the rest of the jersey and the sleeve-ends are cuffed. Just above the cuffed sleeve-ends, are sewn-in elbow pads. There are diamond inserts under each armpit.

The jersey has several team repairs (most in the shoulder area) and is complete with crotchpiece. On the Spanjian Pasadena label, the number 518 has been imprinted on the label. This 518 is also imprinted on the inside of the crotchpiece and on the back of the jersey, on the inside, 318 has been imprinted.

All of the numbers have been sewn on. The numbers on the back of the jersey are positioned very high so I don't think the would be any room for a nameplate. The sleeve-stripes are woven into the jersey.

This is a very cool and extremely well-made professional style jersey. I've looked through a few old football annuals (Professional and college) and so far, I have been unable to identify the jersey. I would appreciate any help any member can give me in identifying whether the jersey was worn professionally or on the collegiate or semi-pro level.

I can be reached either though the thread or flaa1a@comcast.net

Thanx so much,

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Not sure if this is a steal or not - hopefully a forum member will be able to identify the jersey for me.

I got the jersey from eBay. The seller's scans gave the impression that the jersey was red. As such, I was thinking the jersey was an old Falcons jersey. Well, when I got it, I was shocked because the jersey is actually orange. In an attempt to show the actual color of the jersey, I placed a St. Louis Cardinals jacket next to the jersey and I took the scan.

Made by Spanjian, the jersey is a size 44 and it is made out of a heavy-weight durene material. The shoulders are reinforced and are about twice as thick as the rest of the jersey and the sleeve-ends are cuffed. Just above the cuffed sleeve-ends, are sewn-in elbow pads. There are diamond inserts under each armpit.

The jersey has several team repairs (most in the shoulder area) and is complete with crotchpiece. On the Spanjian Pasadena label, the number 518 has been imprinted on the label. This 518 is also imprinted on the inside of the crotchpiece and on the back of the jersey, on the inside, 318 has been imprinted.

All of the numbers have been sewn on. The numbers on the back of the jersey are positioned very high so I don't think the would be any room for a nameplate. The sleeve-stripes are woven into the jersey.

This is a very cool and extremely well-made professional style jersey. I've looked through a few old football annuals (Professional and college) and so far, I have been unable to identify the jersey. I would appreciate any help any member can give me in identifying whether the jersey was worn professionally or on the collegiate or semi-pro level.
    Now, that's a nice jersey. The Spanjian tags are late 50s, early 60s. I have sold 100s of unknown football durenes. They are impossible to identify. Unless, you say your prayers and stumble across a photo. The new Sports Illustrated archive may be a good place to start. Someone who reads 60s Street&Smiths might know. Oregon State? College of the Pacific? Cal Tech? To make matters more complicated, Spanjian made uniforms nationwide, from West to East. The tag seems too old to have the Spanjian designed expressley for (insert name of sporting goods store.) Does it have the name of a sporting goods store or town (besides Pasadena)? Yes, it could be Continental Football League...1000s of possibilities. Oklahoma State? Idaho State? I know I've probably sold many FB relics for $100. I'm too impatient. I don't find as many football durenes as I used to. As for the "518" and "318"...they are inventory codes that I haven't learned yet.