Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Show us your ebay steals!!!

Quote Originally Posted by camarokids View Post
    Tony,
    It is plausible that Jeter did use the bat . Unlike today where most of the minor leaguers have their own names engraved on their bats .

Back in Jeter's years in the minors there wasn't a boat load of bat companies trying to sign players like today . There was Louisville , Rawlings , Cooper , and was Worth still making bats ?

In the 1970's Frank Wren used to live a few houses away from me when I was kid and he always gave us bats . They were all PRO STOCK's or team named . The Jamestown Expos he played for , I will have to double check that info. Yes that is correct , also West Palm .

I do agree that Howard should not be concerned with your task of authenticating the bat . Unless he is being sincere and is genuinely concerned for your welfare that you may have been duped in your purchase of the said bat.

Cheers ....
    camarokids,

Here's what I have so far on this bat.

* I obtained the bat directly from the person who purchased it in 1996 from a well-known, knoweldgeable, and reputable game used bat dealer in the hobby. The bat was sold then (1996) as a Cooper Pro 100 "Yankees" Professional 271 Derek Jeter Game Used Minor League Signed Bat.

* The signature dates around 1994.

With that said, this bat would have been used by Derek Jeter possibily around 1993-1994.

Tony

Would someone please tell me how this statement by Howard is rude? Seems direct and to the point. My thoughts exactly.

Nice generic YANKEES bat that has a Jeter sig. How can you possibly claim and also prove he used this in the minor leagues?

Is it rude because he doesn't believe the unsubstantiated info you are posting on the forum?

This particular bat was given to a ball mark manager of the Nashville Sounds. Documentation is forthcoming.

Personally I would wait for the documentation before making the claim that it is a Jeter game used bat.

The bat is a 100% authentic Derek Jeter Cooper Game Used Yankee Team Signed bat. I have documentation forthcoming that will confirm it. Bat was signed in 1994 (see example). 1994 was the only year jeter signed his signature this way. The end of the signature is the way to tell it's from 1994). Also, being a Yankee Team Bat from the early 90's, you're correct, there would be reason to assume/believe he used this type team bat.

To me it seems like a 100% authentic Cooper Yankee team game used bat signed by Derek Jeter in 1994.

Don't you see the road you are going down? Are we now going to assume (yep you said assume) that any Pro Stock bat with a signature is a game used bat by that player? I have a Billings Mustangs pro stock bat next to me that came from the father of a Mustangs' player. Can I have Jay Bruce sign it and then call it a game used Jay Bruce bat? Afterall he probobly didn't have a contract in rookie ball either. Seems to be identical as to what you are saying.

If I remember correctly there is really no way to date a Cooper bat. As far as you know that bat could be from 1987 or so.

Think of it this way. With that bat and your documentation status, what would PSA grade it?

I obtained the bat directly from the person who purchased it in 1996 from a well-known, knoweldgeable, and reputable game used bat dealer in the hobby. The bat was sold then (1996) as a Cooper Pro 100 "Yankees" Professional 271 Derek Jeter

Some people see Lou Lampson as reputable. (My apologizes to the dealer who sold the bat. Don't mean to compare you to Lou, just comparing the anonymity behind the sale.)

Arod313 - You have been in this hobby long enough to know someone "always has a story". And I think you can agree that this bat certainly has a story. Sourced from a clubhouse, sold by a well-known, reputable dealer, blah, blah, blah. How many times do we hear that one?

You seem insulted that Howard doesn't believe the story. I too don't believe your story as it is currently being told either. What I do believe is you have stumbled upon a great research project that potentially has a huge upside. But until you turn the "story" into "facts," Howards statement of Nice generic YANKEES bat that has a Jeter sig is absolutely correct.

I hope you figure out this puzzle. Would be a sweat bat to have. But until then don't be surprized at the pushback received from others who are in need of a little more to be sold.
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Quote Originally Posted by platinum1 View Post
    Wow! Why do you have to put the guy down like that? This is why people dont like posting in this site.
    How can you make a comment like this when you haven't been a member for even a month?
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.

Sylbry i would like to make a generic statement. " whats the point in being a p#$%k" there are a lot of people who watch this sight for a while without putting there two cents on every thread on the forum. also since you have been a member since november of 2005 does that mean you get a blue star from the gameused police? sylbry also who are you two question what someone wants to type in a thread

After having the opportunity to talk to the owner of this bat (Mr. Doug Reed) yesterday, here are the facts: This bat was puchased by Doug Reed of Cookeville, TN, who was an employee at the time of the Nashville Sounds Minor League Team, in 1996 from Zane Burns. Mr. Reed stated that Mr. Burns sold the bat to him as a Cooper Pro 100 "Yankees" Professional 271 Derek Jeter Game Used Minor League Signed Bat. (I believe he said it was advertised in the SCD back in 1996, so I am trying to research and see if I can find an old copy with the add). Since then, he stated he and Mr. Burns have made numerous transactions back and forth over the years since that time. Mr. Reed has an extensive Game Used collection. The signature on the bat dates around 1994.

The documentation forthcoming is from Mr. Reed. Mr. Reed sold the bat to Mr. Casey Fox of Cookeville, TN, who is the person I purchased the bat from. Some of the confusion on the details was from Mr. Fox doing his best to remember as much info about the bat as he could. However, I was able to locate Mr. Reed and we talked extensively over the phone about this bat. The above are the facts.

As far as your comment, "You seem insulted that Howard doesn't believe the story." Well, there was no story or explanation added at that point when he made his comment. I simply added as the title of asked, "Show usyour ebay steals!!!", which I was doing: "Derek Jeter Pro 100 "Yankees" Professional 271 Signed Game Used Minor League Bat." Just as I bought it and just as I was told.

With that said, I'm not addressing Howard's comments anymore. Personally, I think he could have made his comment in a better way, however, we all interpret things different, so not that big of a deal.

I realize many of you knowledgeable experts out there are just doing your best to ensure the hobby is a safe place. Some come across more accusatory and harsh, but I guess with the many fakes out there, it gets old seeing so many fakes and becomes the norm to question harshly.

Tony
    I

So what we know right now (for certain) is that it is a Yankees team bat that someone bought from a dealer and the dealer claimed that it was used by Jeter? Not trying to pick sides at all as to whether or not any of it is true or false, just stating the facts as we know them thus far.........

Is there any evidence of Jeter using the bat? Pics?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    So what we know right now (for certain) is that it is a Yankees team bat that someone bought from a dealer and the dealer claimed that it was used by Jeter? Not trying to pick sides at all as to whether or not any of it is true or false, just stating the facts as we know them thus far.........

Is there any evidence of Jeter using the bat? Pics?

Jim
    Jim,

Let me make sure I understanding who and what you are questioning (I have to believe by your comment, you don't know who Zane Burns is):

You are saying/assuming that the dealer that you are referring to, Mr. Zane Burns, would claim and sell something that isn't what he says it is?

You're talking about the same Zane Burns, who helped in the publishing of the book BATS -- PROFESSIONAL HILLERICH & BRADSBY AND ADIRONDACK 1950-1994 - The book that was the first all-inclusive resource available to game used bat collectors, which also included such people as Dave Bushing, Steve Terman, Michael Montbriand, John Taube, Stanley Kesselman, and yes, Zane Burns.

The same Zane Burns who is considered one of the Who's Who of Bat Collecting.

The same Zane Burns who is continously praised in this forum as a trustworthy and knowledgable person in the game used hobby?

I Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

Look, I understand today everyone is so caught up into "photomatching." If you can find it, it's great. However, there are many older pieces, especially minor league stuff, that it is impossible to photomatch. Heck, even today's stuff is even difficult to photomatch.

Not every player gave away their equipment with a signed letter that they used it. Hence today, why we have authentication services based on characteristics and other additional information that is provided.

I am aware of Mr. Burns reputation in the hobby, and I trust and believe Mr. Reed. It would only take Mr. Burns to deny what Mr. Reed has stated and put into writing.

I trust both Mr. Burns and Mr. Reed and am 100% confident that this bat is as stated.

Tony

Tony - I know quite well who Zane is, as I have purchased from him before.....I have no issue with his reputation.

My point is, that this is a generic "team" bat that a "bat dealer" says was used by Jeter and it is signed by Jeter. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a bat that had Jeter's name on it, that would add to it. I'm not saying anything against Zane, you, or the bat. I'm just calling it like I see it. If Zne acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?

"If" Zane acquired the bat directly from Jeter and offered photographic proof, that would be something different. As it stands right now, it appears to me to be a team bat, signed by Derek Jeter, that came from a well respected dealer of game used bats.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Tony - I know quite well who Zane is, as I have purchased from him before.....I have no issue with his reputation.

My point is, that this is a generic "team" bat that a "bat dealer" says was used by Jeter and it is signed by Jeter. Nothing more, nothing less. If it was a bat that had Jeter's name on it, that would add to it. I'm not saying anything against Zane, you, or the bat. I'm just calling it like I see it. If Zne acquired a Richmond Braves team bat and had Chipper Jones sign it, does that prove that Chipper Jones used the bat in a game?

"If" Zane acquired the bat directly from Jeter and offered photographic proof, that would be something different. As it stands right now, it appears to me to be a team bat, signed by Derek Jeter, that came from a well respected dealer of game used bats.

Am I missing something?
    Wow! It is ridiculous to say, "If Zane acquired the bat directly from Jeter and offered photographic proof, that would be something different." You do realize this was in the early 90's. Did we have camera's back then (lol).

Unless I'm missing something, does all game used stuff out there come with what you stated above?

From what I have found out so far, minor league teams, especially in the 80's and early 90's, didn't have players names of the bats. So players used these "generic" team bats. When they got to the majors, their names were on their bats. Still research minor league bat info.

I'm not going to beat this down any further. I provided the facts. I'm happy and satisifed with the bat. I trust Mr. Burns reputation completely, and Mr. Reeds word in writing.

Again, unless Mr. Burns denies what Mr. Reed has told me and provided me in writing, it is only then I will have concern.

Tony

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
    How can you make a comment like this when you haven't been a member for even a month?
    So now I have to be a member for more then a month to make a comment. Actually I have been coming to this boards for atleast 2 years now and every time I come here most of the guys in here just try to find a way to rip someone. The guy wasnt pushing the bat on someone. The question could have been ask alot better. Why hasnt he respond to my question? Because he was wrong. Why doesnt he stick to what he knows best Phillie jerseys.