Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Prince Fielder 2005 Genuine C271 Natural Finish

Hello,

To help in my quest to authenticate my GU 2005 bat, can you tell me the bat shipping records for the type of bat above?

Re: Prince Fielder 2005 Genuine C271 Natural Finish

Hi - unfortunately, we do not have Price Fielder's shipping records. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. Thanks, Jim Caravello

How can I get them?

Hi Brian --

I read this post and your previous post in the Game Used Memorabilia section, and would view your bat in the following manner, assuming it has the H & B professional model labeling characteristics associated with 2005 (I have not seen photos of your bat) :

While it is extremely difficult to obtain written documentation of H & B factory records, you have basically received verbal confirmation of the factory records as they pertain to your bat from the person you contacted at H & B. The fact that the Fielder C271 with a natural finish is unique to 2005 is factory-documented confirmation of the other characteristics that appear on the bat that can be traced to the 2005 season, such as uniform number and, I believe, a similar bat in a 2005 season photo. Add to that the apparently unique taping pattern that you stated has been seen by at least one other collector (and that should be able to be found in 2005 photos) and the other evidence of game use on the bat itself, and it would appear likely that you have a Prince Fielder signature model professional bat, manufactured by Hillerich & Bradsby in 2005, exihibiting game use characteristics either known or thought to be associated with Prince Fielder

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the great response. I just wanted to check with you senior collectors to make sure I am not shooting a pie in the sky. The thing is this. Obviously if I get it authenticated now it is obvious it is from the 2005 season. But what if I wait. Will that make it more difficult to determine that? Also does the fact that it has slight crack in it detract value? I mean it is so minor I know that bat could probably take a few more hits beofre breaking.

Hi--

If H & B labeling remains consistent for awhile, then specifically attributing the bat to 2005 would be more difficult IF Fielder subsequently made additional orders of C271's with a natural finish... however since you are in possession of the bat before the 2006 season began, you shouldn't have a problem. With regards to the slight crack, it really comes down to individual collectors' preference....Some collectors see a crack as another characteristic of game use, and are actually more comfortable with a cracked bat. If the crack is severe to the point where it detracts from the displayability or aestitic appearance of the bat, some collectors would opt to get the crack repaired if it contained other strong evidence of game use... It sounds like the crack on your bat does not significantly alter the appearance of the bat. If that is the case, my personal opinion is that it does not significantly affect the value of the bat either.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike