Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Dick Stigman bat

I have an Dick Stigman Louisville Slugger M110 from 1961 to 1964. "Stigman" is written in block letters on the barrel. The bat length is 34" and I am not sure of the weight. I am trying to determine if he received this bat when he was an Indian or a Twin. Any chance you can help me out dating this bat?

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

Re: Dick Stigman bat

Hi Bryan, unfortunately Dick Stigman records are not available. If I can be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks, Jim

Jim,

Well it was worth a shot. Thanks anyways.

Bryan

Hi Bryan--

If the bat was manufactured in 1964 rather than 1961, 1962, or 1963, you may be able to pionpoint it without the factory records as a Twins bat (1962-1964) rather than an Indians bat (1961).

Four variations of labeling appear on 1964 H & B bats, due to the introduction of a new version of the word "Powerized" and a new oval label.The barrel label did not change.

The first version of a 1964 pro model bat is not exclusive to 1964 -- abd is identical to H & B bats made ifrom 1961 to 1963. The oval label contains the smaller version of REG. U.S.PAT. OFF. which extends from beneath the letter U in Louisville and does not reach the K in KY. The word Powerized has a somewhat oblong letter O and a looping letter D.

The second version that identifies a bat as made in 1964 has a new version of the word Powerized with a more circular letter O and the letter D has no loop at the end. The oval label is the same as version one above, so the combination of the oval label and the new version of Powerized would date the bat to 1964.

The third version of a 1964 pro model H & B bat has a new oval label that contains the registered trademark symbol after the words LOUISVILLE SLUGGER, which replaces the phrase REG. U.S. PAT. OFF. under the oval label. This oval label version began appearing on bats made after the All-Star break in 1964. Thus if a bat has the new oval label without lettering underneath, and has the registered trademark symbol inside the oval, in combination with the older version of Powerized with the oblobg O and looping D, the bat was made frpm after the All-Star break of 1964 to 1966....collectors sometimes refer to this labeling period as 1964 1/2 - 1966.

The fourth and final version of a 1964 pro model bat has the new version of Powerized in combination with the new oval label. This is not exclusive to 1964 however...it appears on some bats made after the 1964 All star break, most bats made in 1965 and 1966, and all H & B pro model bats made from 1967 to 1972. This is refered to as the 1964 1/2 to 1972 labeling period.

Finally, check closely to see if any vintage, faded marker remains on the knob and/or barrel end that would show a possible uniform number, as Dick Stigman wore Number 22 with the Indians in 1961 and switched to Number 18 with the Indians thereafter.

The information above may pinpoint your bat to the 1964 season, but will not distinguish between the 1961 through 1963 seasons, so it is a bit of a longshot.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately it is a 1961-63 and it still doesn't solve the question as to whether it is a Twins or Indians bat. Oh well, we tried.

Thanks again to you and Jim for helping out.

Bryan