Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Frank Howard

Frank Howard

I'd love to know what LS bats Frank Howard ordered during his years with the Senators ('65 - '71).

And he used a block letter, "HOWARD" bat during those years, but I've heard that he did start using a signature model at some point. I wonder if you can tell me if he started with the signature model prior to the end of '71.

This will be a great help and I appreciate it.

Re: Frank Howard

To start with, Hondo's first signature model bats appeared in 1971, as his records clearly indicate "new auto" on 9-2-71. Hondo placed 52 orders between 1965 and 1971. Every order was for R43 model bats - every order. Bats were typically 36" to 36 1/2" in length and weights varied between 33 and 45 ounces - yes, that's correct - 45 ounces. There are 8 orders during this period for bats with weights of 40 ounces or more. He liked Wide Grain and lightly Flame Burned bats, as that is the predominant request during this period. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know. Thanks, Jim Caravello

Jim:
    This is extremely helpful and I really appreciate it.
    One clarification on the signature bats: Does the "new auto" indication on 9-2-71 mean that date was his first order of signature bats, so that he would've only used them for less than a month in DC? And did he continue to use signature bats when he was with the Rangers and Tigers? (Presumably yes, I guess.)
    Thanks again.

Yes - to both - that's the first date and he continued to have signature models going forward. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Jim

Big-time thanks for your help.