Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Stolen Game Used Collection...Please Read

This is awful, has anyone heard any updates about this. As fellow collectors it would be great if we could help solve this one as I know that ones collection can be so important and ones pride and joy. Does anyone have any thoughts?

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...10098/-1/rss01

Please excuse the rant, but I can relate, somewhat, to this experience. Back when I was 17 years old some people broke into my house one night and stole (amoung other things) a boatload of my baseball cards. They stole a 1960 Topps set (not quite complete) and a 1963 Fleer set, along with 9-card sleeves containing cards of all the "stars", like Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Yaz, etc. They eventually caught the kids and they admitted to stealing then selling my cards to "The House of Cards", in Maryland, for $50. Turns out one of the two kids brought the cards into the store and claimed the cards belonged to his grandfather, who had died, so he wanted to sell them. This was in 1988 and there were cards in those 9-card sleeves there were brand freakin new, so there's no way that story held any water and the card shop knew it, so they apparently declined to buy them at all, but when the kid pleaded with the guy the guy said "I'll give you $50 for them all", which the kid agreed to.

I went to the House of Cards in an attempt to get them back or to at least buy them back, hopefully at some discounted price, but they would have none of it. First they said they didn't buy them, then they changed their story to "we bought them, but we sold them as a whole lot", then to "we bought them, sold some of them, but we don't know what's yours and what's ours". The police contacted them after I met with them but unfortunately there were no laws that dictated that protected me (as there were with Pawn shops), so I was s**t out of luck.

So I can empathize a bit, even though I lost mass-produced baseball cards and Tim lost unique collectables that are far less easy to replace. I spent many years building those sets, though, so I can still feel his pain even though the circumstances are a little different.

BTW, I believe The House of Cards is still in business to this day. I would hope that given the opportunity to bring your business elsewhere, you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Can Dan View Post
    Please excuse the rant, but I can relate, somewhat, to this experience. Back when I was 17 years old some people broke into my house one night and stole (amoung other things) a boatload of my baseball cards. They stole a 1960 Topps set (not quite complete) and a 1963 Fleer set, along with 9-card sleeves containing cards of all the "stars", like Mike Schmidt, Pete Rose, Yaz, etc. They eventually caught the kids and they admitted to stealing then selling my cards to "The House of Cards", in Maryland, for $50. Turns out one of the two kids brought the cards into the store and claimed the cards belonged to his grandfather, who had died, so he wanted to sell them. This was in 1988 and there were cards in those 9-card sleeves there were brand freakin new, so there's no way that story held any water and the card shop knew it, so they apparently declined to buy them at all, but when the kid pleaded with the guy the guy said "I'll give you $50 for them all", which the kid agreed to.

I went to the House of Cards in an attempt to get them back or to at least buy them back, hopefully at some discounted price, but they would have none of it. First they said they didn't buy them, then they changed their story to "we bought them, but we sold them as a whole lot", then to "we bought them, sold some of them, but we don't know what's yours and what's ours". The police contacted them after I met with them but unfortunately there were no laws that dictated that protected me (as there were with Pawn shops), so I was s**t out of luck.

So I can empathize a bit, even though I lost mass-produced baseball cards and Tim lost unique collectables that are far less easy to replace. I spent many years building those sets, though, so I can still feel his pain even though the circumstances are a little different.

BTW, I believe The House of Cards is still in business to this day. I would hope that given the opportunity to bring your business elsewhere, you would.
    Terrible story, like Tim's. Why people steal things that are not theirs is beyond me. Don't they have anything better to do? How pathetic.

I for one will never buy from House of Cards again and if I hear/see anything about Tim Crowder's collection I will alert everyone.

Thanks,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Can Dan View Post

Oil Can,
    I can certainly relate to that experience as a similar thing happened to me when I was 16 or so. Most of my 1933 Goudeys were stolen, about half a complete set with one Ruth and a lot of HOFers. In addition, an entire binder full of 800 autographed cards (mostly baseball cards) that spanned 6 years of my childhood outside of Three Rivers Stadium. One day while at a resale shop looking for music equipment, I noticed a bunch of Goudeys in pretty good shape (as a lot of mine were). I also noticed the person had an entire case of them. I casually brought up that I had similar cards that were stolen from me and he asked how long ago, when I told them it was recent he said "I think these might be yours", since aparently it was a 16 year old who brought them in. Turns out one of my 'friends' from school had stolen my cards, taken them to this resale shop and sold them to 'pay for his sick father's medical bills'. The guy at the resale shop gave them back to me cheap because he said he didn't want the bad karma in the store. As for the autographs, at a card store near my house, I saw a group of autographed cards which looked a lot like the ones I had. In addition, some of the cards were personalized to me. When I brought this to the owners attention he basically flipped out on me saying he doesn't buy stolen goods and most of the autographed stuff in the store he got on his own. I said to him "well did Jeff Bagwell spell your name wrong too?" The guy then asked me to leave the store for accusing him of buying stolen property. The funny thing is, I never accused him of anything, I just said these cards looked familiar.

I never got my cards back, but this guy is out of business. As for the resale shop, last time I checked that place is still around....aparently the 'bad karma' never came to that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbird View Post
    This is awful, has anyone heard any updates about this.
    I emailed Tim a couple days ago but I haven't heard back. I'm still hoping he'll send pics of the stolen items so I can post them here. Keep your fingers crossed.
    "The knowledge that this guy has in his head, some of you would never be able to comprehend."

If anything comes up here in my town of Bakersfield I will let you know.

Stolen Canseco Bats!!!

Just wanted to try and see if anyone on the forum had any info on this subject. Last summer when Jose tried his comeback with the Golden Baseball League, he contacted me after the first game wanting some help. It seems he had sold all of his bats and would have to wait to have some special made for him. All of the bats the League had measured 34" or less. Jose likes to use a 36" 34oz bat so he had a problem. He asked if he could borrow a couple of bats until his came in. I said sure and sent him a list of my bats and the measurements. He requested two of them and I shipped them to him overnight. One was a game used Expos Easton, the other a blonde White Sox SAM bat. I got the SAM bat from Jose originally and it is the one in the photo in his book from the tryout with the Dodgers. While with team it was stolen along with my other bat. I don't know how to post photos so you will have to look in a book or Gettys. I would really like this bat back if anyone has seen it. It is signed Jose Canseco Game Used #31. It also has very distinguished tar markings. Jose did send me two Easton Maple bats from his time with the Long Beach Armada(which are personalized to me To Todd, Thanks for Everything Jose Canseco), but I would like the SAM bat back. If anyone has any info on this or if they turn up in the aftermarket, please let me know at spideyman79@yahoo.com I have rock solid proof of ownership.

Thanks for any help, Todd Ricks

Re: Stolen Canseco Bats!!!

Just wanted to add that these were last seen at the Long Beach Armada clubhouse. I have contacted them and they have not seen them. Jose said they were taken from the clubhouse. Surely they will appear on the market sometime. Does anyone know what legal actions I could take if it does surface?

Thanks, Todd

Banned

Hey Todd,

I'm really sorry to hear about your bats being jacked! Thats terrible, although it was very generous of you to loan them to Jose to use. I hope one day they will be returned to you. I can't stand thieves!!! In terms of legal action, it would be hard to prove. Say they show up on the market. I know its illegal to be in posession of stolen property, however, from what I've researched, in terms of sports memorabilia...its certainly hard to prove. My guess would be, if they show up in a hypothetical example on say, EBAY, contact the seller and ask how they were obtained. Surely if they unknowingly got them thinking they were obtained without being stolen, they should do the right thing and return them to you. Its certainly good that you have proof of the bats, so that helps!! I seem to remember a previous thread about items to look out for that had been stolen. I hope those will be returned one day as well. I'd like to see the thief behind bars where they belong, with a nice grand theft label to their record. Good luck in finding them.

Aaron

A related issue happened to me. If you see them and you can prove that they are yours, you call your local police department immediately. They in turn will contact the local police department of wherever the seller is from.

Remember the vintage collection stolen from an older collector in Illinois? It doesn't matter who has them or how they got them...you are entitled to retrieving your property. You must contact the police.

If they were stolen from the clubhouse, you should have probably already filed with the local police down there. If you ever see them in the future, it can be referenced to the clubhouse case.

Hope this helps.

Chris