Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Best experience meeting an athlete

Best experience for me had been meeting Mohammed Ali at a show in Pasadena CA in 1996. It was the same autograph show that I went to see Alex Rodriguez. I got a ticket for Ali and you get to spend time with him and pose for photos with him. he faked a cross and threw a jab right up to my chin and then just stopped and put on his game face for the camera. It was awesome. By this time, Ali was already showing some deterioration in his speech and his hand shook noticably when he signed his autograph. But his sense of humor and charisma showed thru and thru. My asthma doctor happens to live next door to him and told me he was a nice neighbor and that made me want to meet him. The next time i had a check up, i told my doctor that i have to agree and then some. I have met Heavyweight Joe Frazier and George Foreman too and they were awesome too. These were the fiercest guys on the planet at one time, pre Ultimate Fighting Champion times, but they are some of the nicest people i have meet anywhere too.

Does Ali do autograph shows anymore?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Oh boy there are so many. I met Namath about 15 years ago and he was very nice, let me try on his Super Bowl ring, posed for pictures and added the inscriptions I requested for free to my mini helmet. I met the late Pee Wee Reese and he was very cordial and was not supposed to be adding inscriptions but I asked him to anyway and he did it for me. Sandy Koufax is a great guy he posed for pictures and signed my baseball and added his hall of fame year for free. To think he only charged $60 those were the days. Willis Reed was also great he talked basketball with me for several minutes and added two inscriptions for free. Cal Ripken was increadible he was signing at Yankee Stadium before a game during the streak season and signed everything everyone put in front of him and my brother dropped his pen onto the field and Cal bent over and picked it up. Michael Strahan is also great I met him twice very funny outgoing guy. Walt Frazier is another great signer and person to talk to. Believe it or not Eddie Murray was also great he was signing at a car dealership for free in his Mets days and he signed whatever I put in front of him with a smile. The best famous person I ever met though was ex-President Bill Clinton at a book signing, he shook my hand and chatted with me briefly which considering the long line was very nice of him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Best experience for me had been meeting Mohammed Ali at a show in Pasadena CA in 1996. It was the same autograph show that I went to see Alex Rodriguez. I got a ticket for Ali and you get to spend time with him and pose for photos with him. he faked a cross and threw a jab right up to my chin and then just stopped and put on his game face for the camera. It was awesome. By this time, Ali was already showing some deterioration in his speech and his hand shook noticably when he signed his autograph. But his sense of humor and charisma showed thru and thru. My asthma doctor happens to live next door to him and told me he was a nice neighbor and that made me want to meet him. The next time i had a check up, i told my doctor that i have to agree and then some. I have met Heavyweight Joe Frazier and George Foreman too and they were awesome too. These were the fiercest guys on the planet at one time, pre Ultimate Fighting Champion times, but they are some of the nicest people i have meet anywhere too.

Does Ali do autograph shows anymore?
    Sadly his health prevents him from doing so but that might be changing as he is set to do his first private signing in years.

mid-June 2009 at Muirfield in Scotland (famous British Open golf venue), I played in the foursome directly in front of Peyton, Eli, Cooper, and Archie Manning. They kept their distance, for example on the par-3 13th hole there was a bit of a backup and they didn't come up on to the tee. All looked like fine players though, Peyton particularly hit the ball a long way. The way it works at Muirfield, you play golf in the morning then head to the locker room and change into jacket and tie. I was in the locker room and heard the "voice" coming down the hallway, my instinct was to look up for a television because it sounded like a Peyton Manning commercial! But it was Peyton and Eli, Peyton was saying something along the lines of "hey Eli, come over here, I want you to meet so-and-so." Eli was kind of like "ok, sure!" Peyton brought him over and introduced him to that guy and it was exceedingly polite, in fact you could have pictured 18-year-old Peyton introducing 12-year-old Eli (or whatever their age difference is). Couldn't believe how much their actions and the way they conducted themselves matched their on-air personas. Also couldn't believe how tall they were!!! Peyton seemed like he was Shaquille O'Neal in that old building.

Once you change back into jacket and tie at Muirfield, you head to the dining room where you are seated at long banquet-type tables. Sure enough, I had the great fortune to sit right next to Eli, with Peyton directly facing Eli. Archie was next to Peyton and Cooper next to Eli. Peyton was the one who broke the ice, said "any birdies out there today?" Unbelievably gracious, completely sincere, totally "normal". Just a lot of laughs about the morning round and the rough, how great the course was, and how incredible the Muirfield lunch buffet is! Nobody even acknowledged "who they were" and it was amazing to think that just 4 months earlier the Giants had beaten the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Incredibly, about 3 seats down the other way was Sandy Lyle, former Masters and British Open champion. So, our table had two Super Bowl rings, two major championships, and one junior club championship!

That day at Muirfield was classic Scotland. "Sunny spells" with strong breezes and rain squalls coming through about once every three holes, the kind of rain that no rain gear or umbrella can defend you from. It was a very wet spring in Scotland and the rough was unplayable. You literally were lost if you missed the fairway, couldn't find your ball if it was more than a yard into the rough. I went through 18 balls in 36 holes that day and I play off of a 4 handicap.

In the morning round I occasionally glanced back at the Mannings to see them hit and besides noticing that they were all good players, didn't see anything out of the ordinary (as in, nobody was "hurt" or limping). We all went back out in the afternoon but I went off the first tee and the Mannings went off of 10 so I didn't get to see them much in the PM 18.

I was shocked a couple of weeks later to hear about Peyton Manning's knee surgery that sidelined him for the 2008 preseason. You may remember that it was a bit secretive how it happened and how severe it was. My theory has always been that he must have twisted his knee in the rough at Muirfield that afternoon after lunch!!! Below is a photo of a "path in the rough" from the very day showing just how incredibly deep it was.

Anyway, to finish up a long story, they were first-class gentlemen all the way and I am a Steeler fan (had the Steeler cap on out on the course that day too, as I normally do!). The only remotely negative thing I could say is that Archie had the scorecard out after the morning round and claimed that he shot 85!!! With the rough the way it was, and the wind, there's absolutely no way. He must have invoked the old "double bogey rule" where for handicap purposes you can't take more than a double on any hole (an old sandbagger's trick...play 17 holes even par and then take a 15 on the last hole to turn in an 85 and keep your handicap high)!

Anyone who wants to play Muirfield on a trip to Scotland just visit our website at www.hiddenlinks.com!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oops story below is June 2008, not '09!

These are all great stories. So far the manning one is my favorite.

I have been fortunate to meet a few HOFers and a few current stars, so I will post a few of the notable times that stand out.

Pete Rose - nice and very outgoing, told some dirty jokes and seemed to be in a great mood. I have heard horror stories of him but I guess I caught him on a good day.

Jim Brown - quiet. I asked him since he didnt have a reason to favor either one, who was a better coach in his eyes, landry or lombardi? He told me "a rose is a rose".

Joe Thomas - I was an awards ceremony for the Badgers his Junior year and after I was standing by the doors waiting for the people I went with to catch up. He must have been doing the same thing, and he struck up a conversation about the Packers and then about ice fishing. Another class act.

Reggie Bush - Saw him at an autograph signing and he was a jerk who ignored anyone, left his ipod on, and kept his sun glasses on. For people to pay alot of money to meet their hero you would expect a little more.

Paul Hornung - kind of creepy. He winked at my gf, lol.

Chris Paul - at the 2007 NBA all star game I got to hang out with chris and his family for about an hour. They were class acts and you have never seen two parents prouder. He was genuinely interested in what I had going on and what I was doing all weekend. Funny thing was the day before I knew I was going to meet him so I stopped by niketown at Caesars and bought some shoes of his, with his face on the side. When I grabbed them to ask him to sign them he asked me what they were, "well those are your shoes, your face is on the side" I responded with a slight laugh. "I have never seen these before" chris said. So it was pretty cool for me to have the first signed pair.

Jim Taylor - I ran into him in Cleveland over the summer and he stopped and talked to me for about 20 minutes about his era of football. Another nice guy.

Donnie Scott...was a catcher for the Rangers years back and recently was the manager for the Dayton Dragons. Still coaches in the Reds system.

I went to Dragons games religiously. Dad and I had 4 front row season tickets next to the dugout. Donnie was awesome to watch...reminded us of Bobby Cox.

So one summer I worked with my dad doing heating & air. After work, we'd usually head over to Wings Sports Bar to hang out a drink a beer. One day I decided not to go after work, and just head home. Dad called me later that evening. Said someone wants to talk to me. This familiar voice got on the phone and it was Donnie Scott. He said he was at Wings with my dad drinking and talking. Then he said that my dad told him i was a baseball player (played college ball at the time) and he started asking me how hard i throw, how fast i run, and how good of a hitter i am. Then he said he knew how big of a baseball fan i was so he wanted to show me some stuff at the Dragons stadium. He said he'd leave my dad and I tickets for a game.

Fast forward a few days. Dad and I went to will call at the stadium. No tickets were left for us. We explained the situation to the lady behind the window and she talked to her manager. They gave us cheap lawn tickets just to get in the stadium. We go down to the dugout and the usher was standing there (keeping fans away from bugging players). We explained that we were waiting on Donnie to come out cause he was expecting us. The usher believed us so we all stood there talking. Finally Donnie came out and apologized and said he forgot about the tickets and that he just got out of the shower. But he said after the game he wanted to show me the locker room and some other stuff. Dad and i were both pretty pumped for that. (At this time, Donnie was no longer the manager for the Dragons, he was just there as an assistant) Donnie told us to meet him at a certain place after the game.

Game was over and Dayton lost the game. We headed over to where Donnie told us to meet him. He comes out of the dugout and says he doesnt think it would be a good idea to do it today because Alonso Powell (managed the Dragons at that time) was pissed off about the loss and would rather do it another time. Ok cool. Uderstandable and nothing we can do about it. He then asked for my dads card and said he'll get ahold of us and try again.

End of the season came and past. Then the following spring training came and i went down to Sarasota to catch a Reds ST game. Watched the minor leaguers practice in the morning and saw Donnie heading over to another practice field. I called out to him and he came over. He remembered me and i asked him if he was gunna be in Dayton at all that season. He said he was gunna bea a traveling coach for that season and would be popping in and out of different cities. Asked how I was doing and we went back and forth a lil bit talking. Never heard from him again.

Doesnt sound too much like a "best experience" story but it was pretty cool talking to the manager of our home town team.

Re: Your BEST Experience Dealing with an Athlete

Thought I'd revive the BEST experience thread, to go along with the WORST experience thread.

Not a famous name - not likely anyone you've heard of unless you're into Diamondbacks prospects - but a couple of months ago, a minor leaguer named Grant Heyman was down to the Arizona League on a rehab assignment. I've got a few of his Phoenix bats, from high-A last year and ST this year, so I went out to Salt River to try to get them signed.

An hour before game time, I'm walking up the short road from the parking lot to the field, lugging the bats in a bag, and a tall guy in street clothes with a little fringe of beard is walking the other way. A car has stopped nearby, obviously his ride. We nod to each other, and then it hits me - it's Grant Heyman. I'm usually pretty bad with faces, but I'd been on his website earlier in the day and I was pretty sure it was him. He's only a couple of steps away as I turn and say, "Excuse me, are you Grant Heyman?" He stopped, turned, smiled and said, "As a matter of fact, I am".

Turns out that they'd given him the night off, so he was going out with friends. I asked if he had time to look at a few of his old bats and sign them for me, and he said, of course. He talked about the bats, put nice sigs on them for me, and we stood there chatting for several minutes. Just a super great encounter - the kind that puts you in a good mood for days or weeks.