Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Attending next Live Hunt Auction??

Hi all- I was thinking on attending the Hunt live auction on Feb 24th, starting 5PM in Exton PA. It's about a 2 hour drive from me. I don't have much to spend but I thought I would take it all in and see some items first hand. I have never been to one of Hunt's live auctions.

Has anyone been before and can offer any pointers or things to know? Is it worthwhile to go even if I may not bid on much? If something does interest me...any things I should be aware of about their auction setup?

Thanks!
    -Joe

Banned

Re: Attending next Live Hunt Auction??

Hi Joe,

I went to the Hunt Auction last February in Exton thinking that being there in person would enable me to get a bargain or two. My mistake, as I spent over 600 for a plane ticket and room and wasn't able to get anything that I thought was reasonably priced for resale.

They had a lot of nice items including a Ty Cobb game used hat that sold for around 80k, and a Ruth and Gehrig signed Ruth game used bat that sold for around 230,000.00 with buyer's premiums.

My interest was in the Mantle signed items. They had quite a few inscription balls (HOF, MVP, etc.) selling in three set lots. These were going for around 3500+ a set, which I found quite expensive. They also had a Mantle game used coach's jersey signed, with a letter from Mantle that opened with one bid and no one else bid. I believe that jersey sold for around 11k with premium.

I was there for both days and bid on numerous items. I was looking for items to resale but the prices were just crazy. Most of the buyers were collectors in my opinion, as I couldn't see how anyone could make a profit after paying the bid and premium. The phone bidders were killing the room bidders too. I have seen some of these items on eBay, and the sellers generally lost money in trying to resale the items.

Not everything on auction is listed on the website or in the catalog, as people bring things in which Hunt includes in the live auction. Being as you are only two hours away, I would suggest going just to see the vast amount of nice items they usually have. You might even find something you want as a collector.

Good luck, and enjoy the show if you go.

Thanks sammy. That's helpful. I need to probably decide between going to Hunt Friday night and Ft. Washington the following Friday, as I don't think I can convince my wife to let me go to both .

I've always had great luck bidding on Hunt (for five years years) as a live telephone bidder. I've been able to snag some ridiculous bargains thanks to the live bidding format that would just be impossible in the other majors (like Mastro, RA and Lelands) or sometimes even E-Bay. I would love to attend in-person, but being 3,000 miles away, it's cost prohibitive.

Agreed with the other poster/dealer. Bidding on any major auction with the intent to re-sell is very difficult. Most bidder/buyers are collectors so they are bidding what they would pay retail or a premium for, thus making any sort of short-term re-sale profit margin razor thin, if not non-existent.

--Aaron
    http://aaronsroom.blogspot.com/