Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Fake Auto Authentication by JSA

As a collector becomes knowledgeable, authentication becomes less valuable to provide one confidence in an autographed item. However, I too submit all my items over a certain value, that aren't already accompanied by a "name" COA, to either PSA or JSA (I concur on GAI) to help maximize value upon ultimate resale. Some day I'll either decide to move an item or die and my heirs will have to cash in on the collection. Just want to get max value when that time comes.

"How would the tv segement have looked if the reporter's objective was to test a game used authentication service? And what would be your hypothetical reaction to the realization that even "game use" can be faked to some extent?

I completely agree that the issues faced by autograph authenticators and GU equipemt authenticators are similar, although not identical. As I stated earlier, the concept of authentication should be considered more as a weighing of the evidence and determining the probability the item is authentic. With game used equipment, you can increase that probability from the source (MLB, team, agent, etc.), matching to shipping/production records, video/photo matching, markings, and use characteristics.

As a collector becomes knowledgeable, authentication becomes less valuable to provide one confidence in an autographed item. However, I too submit all my items over a certain value, that aren't already accompanied by a "name" COA, to either PSA or JSA (I concur on GAI) to help maximize value upon ultimate resale. Some day I'll either decide to move an item or die and my heirs will have to cash in on the collection. Just want to get max value when that time comes.

This is an interesting thought - however knowing how quickly a reputation can be damaged in this industry, wouldn't it make sense to wait until the time of sale, or just before, to make the determination as to who you will invest in as an authenticator? I have seen things change so quickly! I have a few items that came with Spence COA's that I purchased, and I was cringing at the report and seeing the added value of that COA diminish as the story progressed.

Either way, I don't think it was a great test - but one that at least brings up opinion vs. authenticity.

Joel

Banned

This is an interesting thought - however knowing how quickly a reputation can be damaged in this industry, wouldn't it make sense to wait until the time of sale, or just before, to make the determination as to who you will invest in as an authenticator?[/quote]

Not sure I'm guaranteed adequate warning prior to death.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mvandor View Post

This is an interesting thought - however knowing how quickly a reputation can be damaged in this industry, wouldn't it make sense to wait until the time of sale, or just before, to make the determination as to who you will invest in as an authenticator?
    Not sure I'm guaranteed adequate warning prior to death. [/quote]