Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 14 of 218 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Re: Show Me your NFL stuff

I have acouple of Chicago Bears jerseys from the Super Bowl team. But I think these are the best jerseys. Not the best or biggest players but those cost tons and are questionable at best in my opinion. Thanks for asking for pictures. Anyone else have Bears or the 3/4 sleeve jerseys?? Mike

I think I might have a couple laying around......

Nice Saints helmet, and Meggett jersey.
    I think 34swtns and safety45 between them have all the Bear jerseys.

Here is my Earl Campbell helmet. DrJ this is the one I need the facemask clips for.

Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images        

That's a heck of a Campbell lid... I'm sure it would be very easy to photo match, if you haven't already.

roger, imo your campbell helmet epitomizes the type of thing that makes lid collecting so interesting given that it's not just a lid that once belonged to one of the best ever, but it's also a lid that tells an interesting story.

like many players from his era, campbell wore a clearshell helmet (a macgregor in his case) during his college playing days, but because most pro teams didn't use clearshell lids he switched to a riddell when he joined the oilers. dan marino, tony dorsett and hugh green were other stars that wore clearshells throughout their college days but who also switched to non-clearshell lids when they hit the pros. only a handful of players, such as billy simms, continued to sport a clearshell when they joined the pros.

but back to campbell - after wearing a riddell during his first year with the oilers, rawlings offered him a contract to wear one of their models; from the photos available it appears that he exclusively wore a rawlings rts "surgical tube" model even though the rawlings hnd9 model was by far the most popular rawlings helmet worn by the pros at the time. but, for whatever reason, campbell switched back to a riddell after 4 years of wearing a rawlings - perhaps he just favored the fit of riddell's new af2.

but what makes this switch in helmet models so interesting is that apparently campbell's deal with rawlings had not expired. as such, campbell had a famous rawlings "r" (which easily identified rawlings helmets) taped to his riddell helmet and also had the "riddell" forehead pad logo appearing above the facemask replaced with the "rawlings" forehead pad logo. classic!

i've only seen this sort of thing a couple of times before - for a while jack lambert used a riddell "wildcat" forehead pad on his rawlings suspnsion helmet but used white tape to cover the "riddell" logo and tony dorsett used a "wilson" forehead logo on his clearshell macgregor for a time when at pitt (did wilson float tony some cash for this?).

as far as your helmet is concerned roger, i've seen a boatload of authentic game used oilers af2 helmets sold at auction through the years including two "earl campbell"s that i doubted immediately, but imo yours looks great. below are some photos of the 1983 pro bowl in which you can clearly see campbell wearing a riddell with rawlings logos...

Aeneas,

This helmet has a letter from the Oiler Equipment manager at the time, Red Batty. I tried to do my homework, with my limited knowledge of helmets. The collector that owned it had already photo matched it, I just validated what he had done.

Thanks for the work that you did further validating it, I had not seen the Pro bowl picture. If there is anything else on it that is important let me know and I will photo it. When it come to helmets, you are the man in my opinion.

I got Earl's jersey from the 84 season also. I'll post it over the weekend.

Roger

RK - that is THE sweetest helmet I've ever seen. I had no doubts about it even before aeneas pictures - but they prove it. WOW WOW WOW

Commando - FYI, I used to own the Groth helmet - it's a nice one.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WORE THE FOLLOWING HELMETS? Thanks for any help you can give...

Cardinals circa 1987 # 34
    Saints circa 1994 #67
    Broncos circa 1987 #51

Pulled this from the recesses of my collection. The last Chargers jersey which survived my NFL blowout a few years back.

1984 Drew Gissinger. Repairs. Scuffs. Nice jersey. Originally purchased from Hartel Sports many moons ago. There were a few nice examples out their of the late ’70’s to mid ’80’s Chargers jersey on the market around 1994-1996. Most are probably locked in collections, like this one!

PS: Eric, you got my #66 Billy Shields. Maybe someday I’ll let this one go.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ View Post
    RK - that is THE sweetest helmet I've ever seen. I had no doubts about it even before aeneas pictures - but they prove it. WOW WOW WOW

Commando - FYI, I used to own the Groth helmet - it's a nice one.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO WORE THE FOLLOWING HELMETS? Thanks for any help you can give...

Cardinals circa 1987 # 34
    Saints circa 1994 #67
    Broncos circa 1987 #51

Not sure about the Cards or Broncos, but Stan Brock wore #67 for the Saints from 1980-92, then Andy McCollum wore #67 from 1995-98.

Here are some of my Jets gamers....

http://good-times.webshots.com/album...ost=good-times