Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hack Wilson Spalding bat

I know very little, if any, about these old Spalding bats but there is an ebay item #8759103722 that looks intriguing. Has anyone seen it or does anyone want to pontificate upon it? I don't even know what pontificate means but I wanted to do it when I saw this bat. Thanks.

Banned

Re: Hack Wilson Spalding bat

Hack Wilson was a Spalding endorser from 1927 to 1936.

After 1926, all game used Spalding bats have the slogan "Hand Turned" above the center brand.

A "Pro Finish" bat is a store model.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy
    Hack Wilson was a Spalding endorser from 1927 to 1936.

After 1926, all game used Spalding bats have the slogan "Hand Turned" above the center brand.

A "Pro Finish" bat is a store model.
    I agree with Sammy's comment about PRO FINISH Spalding bats being store models. In my opinion, the bat is already over-priced at the current $565 bid.

Kevin

Banned

This store model bat sold for $1,693.98.

Unbelievable.

Thats amazing!!! It looks like Dave Bushing was bidding on this bat as well. This seller has been getting some amazing prices for some of his bats. A few days ago he sold a nice Frank Thomas signed game used bat for $510.

A nice Hack Wilson game used bat has been on my "want list" for some time. With my luck, some previously undiscovered factory records will now surface that show this bat was in fact shipped to Wilson. Until then, it seems like a ridiculous amount of money for a cracked store model bat.

WOW is right. While Bushing did bid, he went $444 - i do find it interesting that Broadway Rick went $1,100 and have to assume that he sought some input before going that amount.

My interest was gone at the $200 mark. Big old cracks aren't my thing - i'm just your common all garden Spalding collector. Nothing about this bat makes me think its a gamer, but i also know that theres a lot I don't know.

Jim C - your thoughts?

I don't know much about early Spalding bats, but I do know that was not what is considered a professional model bat based on the markings in the centerbrand. It is my understanding that "Hand Turned" should be printed above the round baseball looking Spalding logo and the two side diamonds should say No. 200 and Oil Temp, respectively, left to right. I know this only by looking at old auctions where Spalding bats have sold as professional model or game used bats. This bat is definitely a store model bat. I think what drove the price up here was the full block letter name of "Hack Wilson". Whether a store or professional bat, that's pretty rare. I am sure Dave bid in the $400 level, because he felt he could sell for at least a few hundred dollars more. I don't think Broadway Rick has any special insight that we are in the dark about. I'll be the first to admit, that I am weak on Spalding bats and am really no help to this post. What I do know is that nice vintage store model bats from this era have been increasing in price at a rapid clip over the last few years. With true game used bats from this period out of the reach of many collectors, nice store model bats make a good alternative for many. Jim Caravello