Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Post Babe Ruths Own Book Of Baseball

Hi
    I Have This Old Book By Babe Ruth Himself. Its Is Good For Being Over 60 Years Old. The Binding Is Pulling Away Alittle. Copyright 1928. Published April,1928 Second Printing. Has 31 Pics In It. I Would Like To Know How Much Its Worth.
    Thanks

Re: Babe Ruths Own Book Of Baseball

The book itself is quite common. A.L. Burt reprint editions show up regularly on ebay, and Putnam editions are also frequent. The first edition commands a better price. The first printing of the first edition is also more desirable. I recently sold a first printing, first edition in probably slightly better shape than yours for $89 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8742564426 , but given ebay's vagaries, who knows what your copy might bring.

Here is a copy of the Putnam edition with its dust jacket. A dust jacket brings a considerable premium to the sale price.

Max

Post Re: Babe Ruths Own Book Of Baseball

Thanks
    But on this one web site i have it has the price to be $1500 and mine is different from yours.

How is your book different? Here is my book that sold on ebay (that is, without the dust jacket)

As I mentioned in the first post, this book without a dust jacket is worth much less than a copy with a dust jacket.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "But there is a book listed for $1500 on the web". People can list an item for whatever they want; it doesn't reflect market value unless there is a willing purchaser at that price. I have seen virtually dozens of copies of this book sell on ebay, the internet book sites and sports memorabilia auctions in the last 15 years of book collecting. $1500 is not a realistic price.

There is a signed limited edition of this book that does have increased value due to Ruth's signature and I'm assuming your copy doesn't have a signature of Ruth (noting that many of these signed books have forged or at least secretarial signatures)

As I mentioned in my first post, the book is very common and is in virtually every advanced baseball book collector's library. If you can post photos of your book, I can give you my assessment as to whether there is anything particularly special about it.

As for the Burt reprint edition from 1928, there is a book listed for sale on the internet for $39.99. A dust jacketed copy of the Burt edition is fairly rough shape is listed for sale at $275.

Hope this helps.

Max

Talking Re: Babe Ruths Own Book Of Baseball

This is what mine looks like and heres the web site that says its $1500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ruth-George-Herm...QQcmdZViewItem

Yanks12025, it(yours) looks to be a $50 Putnam 2nd edition, but I know very little about books. I believe Max answered your question...he knows best. The seller can say the book is worth $1 Million if he wants....that doesn't mean anything.

The Princeton Antiques listing is not a $1500 book. If someone pays that, all I can say is that they've spent at least $1400 too much that they could have saved by doing some internet research or waiting a few weeks or a couple of months for another copy to show up on ebay without the high bid price.

Max

Here is one that did sell on ebay. It was in pretty tough shape, with some mildew/something on the cover (it appears) and tape on the binding.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1928-BABE-RUTH-B...QQcmdZViewItem

Banned

I like that the same seller trying for $1500.00 for the book in discussion is asking $250.00 for a copy of The Holy Bible, and they don't even post a picture of the book they are selling:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

I have to add this one to my watch list, if they get $250.00 for a copy of The Holy Bible, I may go into a new business field.

Oh wait, they have a copy of The Book of Mormon for $2000.00 that they also don't post a picture for. I guess these guys are the PT Barnum of eBay book sellers. I guess they figure if they list 11,000 overpriced books, some will sell. Based on a completed search, they have sold just over $1000.00 in books in the past month.