Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: ABA Nets jersey

ABA Nets jersey

Fellow jersey Afficianados:

Take a look at this recently completed auction on ebay:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/...d=1#la-image-2

It sort of shocked me. A New York Nets jersey with no manufacturer tags and a name AND number change, goes for over $4000! (the description was funny. Other than the name and number change, it says, no other changes! well that's good...)

Is it really worth $4200 or was that just a weird auction? I know, I know, "it's worth what people will pay for it," but that just seemed wild for a rather questionable jersey. Am I wrong or does that seem about right for this jersey?

Bob

Re: ABA Nets jersey

$4,200 was a very high price. Especially since a Red Robbins Kentucky Colonels Warm Up just sold at GFC's auction for less than $400 (wish I'd bid).
    This Nets jersey is the same manufacturer (Rawlings) and knit material as the Nets Dr. J that sold for $120,000 last summer from GFC. The NOB and numerals have an extremely "matchable" font. I am not making any accusations, just keep your eyes peeled for any ABA Nets #32s being introduced at auction by ANYONE.

The two different sized 3 make it pretty easy to photo match

I know I had some footage of Jones wearing this jersey at one time. Perhaps game 6 of the 1976 ABA finals???

The auction description says "Includes a videotape of the final Game Six of the 1976 Nets vs Nuggets ABA championship, a video match of this jersey worn in the last game, last shot, last basket ever scored in the ABA."

I'm guessing that explains the high price
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I see what you mean with the photo match. You're right, that must be it.
    The "sureness" of the authenticity seems to have driven up the price.
    Thanks guys!
    Bob

I did not notice the "33" variation. I was not aware of the historical significance. I stand corrected, the price was right. I have an excuse. I hardly read item descriptions from Grey Flannel, AMI and the like. They are mostly filled with useless drivel that is rarely a detail about the jersey itself (Jordan is considered to be the greatest ever, etc.) From now on, I will read descriptions thoroughly before commenting.
    Otis- nice job with the "photo-match".