Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: September pick-ups

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    My Mark Grace bat arrived today! More photos shown earlier in this thread. It is gorgeous. Grace was always one of my favorites. Bat has at least 7 ball marks that I found plus numerous bat rack marks as well as pine tar on the handle so thick that it looks like chocolate. Its from Grace's last season, 2003. The seller said that he got it from Scott Service, a pitcher who was Grace's teammate in 2003. You just wouldnt believe what I paid for this little beauty!
    I've managed to collect four of Mark's Diamondbacks bats, and gotten them signed - two from '01, and one each from '02 and '03. One of the '01 bats is a much-used post-season bat ('MG 01' on the knob) for which I paid a pretty penny; the others were in the 200-300 $ range.

Ironically, a Scott Service DBacks bat is one of the things I'm looking for. I've got one of his Reds bats, but that's as close as I've been able to come.

Somewhat stretching the definition of "game-used" perhaps... ...nevertheless, I couldn't resist this one.

"Authentic game worn SARAH SILVERMAN jersey from the 2004 Taco Bell legends and Celebrities Softball game that was held All Star Weekend in Houston, TX."

(Sarah Silverman not included...)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I was fortunate to pick up a Rick Ankiel game-used bat from the Cardinals Authentics Store at the stadium. As you probably know, Rick debuted as an outfielder on 8/9 after a career as a pitcher (and a long, improbable climb back through the minors, which was hampered by injury). Rick hit a HR that first game and then hit two more on 8/11 on a nationally televised game. Based on the handle tape pattern, I think my bat may be the one he used in those games.
    Was at Busch Stadium last Friday and saw the new Cardinals Gameday magazine had a photo of Ankiel on the cover hitting the HR in his comeback game. I purchased it and brought it home to compare to my bat. Not only does the tape pattern match, but other consistent characteristics (ball marks, ink transfer, weight ring, etc.) also are obvious. I think I can now say with certainty that I have THE bat he used that day.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I've managed to collect four of Mark's Diamondbacks bats, and gotten them signed - two from '01, and one each from '02 and '03. One of the '01 bats is a much-used post-season bat ('MG 01' on the knob) for which I paid a pretty penny; the others were in the 200-300 $ range.

Ironically, a Scott Service DBacks bat is one of the things I'm looking for. I've got one of his Reds bats, but that's as close as I've been able to come.

godwulf - Grace has always been one of my favorites. I dont mind telling you that I was a little nervous on this purchase. The seller was a non collector from Ohio. He was verrrrryyyyy slooooow at returning emails. We made a verbal agreement and I waited and waited to finalize it. What do you think a bat like this would go for? I'll tell you know that I bought it for the grand total of $50 plus shipping.

As for Service, I just mailed him a letter asking him about the bat since the seller said that he got it from Service. I'll let you know what he says if he replies.

Jim

Banned

Astroscollector - what? No Jim Pankovits?

Vintage - no Panky in the collection - he is not one of the guys that I need. Collecting 1990-present.

Quote Originally Posted by AstrosCollector View Post
    Vintage - no Panky in the collection - he is not one of the guys that I need. Collecting 1990-present.
    haha, I was just kidding about him since he lives about 5 minutes from me.

What do you think a bat like this would go for? I'll tell you know that I bought it for the grand total of $50 plus shipping.
    A great deal, no doubt! Right now, a bat like that would probably find a buyer in the $125-150 range...on eBay, anyway...I'm not really all that familiar with any other sales venue, to be honest.

Gracie's Cubs bats seem to fetch more - maybe even double that - despite there actually being a lot more of his Cubs bats than DBacks bats out there, just because of the Grace-Chicago identification factor.

godwulf - yeah thats about how much I figured. This bat was originally on ebay and the seller had one lousy pic. It had no bites for a few days so I contacted him and just threw a number at him and he went for it. I was kind of surprised. I figured that it would sell for at least double that. Its got some great use and that pine tar looks like a melted chocolate bar. Its a high batch number so I know it was probably one of the last ones he used.

Thanks!
    Jim

gameused - I'm not a big Manny fan, but that black and red bat is a beauty!
    Jim,

I agree great color combo, hope to find a photo or video match soon.

Thanks, Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    Was at Busch Stadium last Friday and saw the new Cardinals Gameday magazine had a photo of Ankiel on the cover hitting the HR in his comeback game. I purchased it and brought it home to compare to my bat. Not only does the tape pattern match, but other consistent characteristics (ball marks, ink transfer, weight ring, etc.) also are obvious. I think I can now say with certainty that I have THE bat he used that day.

Jeff,

Nice bat & photo match! I give Ankiel a lot of credit, his career was over as a pitcher but he never gave up and got back to the big leagues as an outfielder and he can hit too!

Bobby