Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Ebay bidders - what are you thinking?

ok, this is a pet peeve.

For the life of me, I cant understand why ebay bidders will nickle and dime an auction up every few hours with 5 or 6 days left in the auction. It just keeps going and going up.

I'm watching a few items and every time I look, its up another $5-10. Doesnt everyone use a snipe service these days and just set their maximum bid or at least put your max bid in with ebay?

Re: Ebay bidders - what are you thinking?

For the life of me, I cant understand why ebay bidders will nickle and dime an auction up every few hours with 5 or 6 days left in the auction. It just keeps going and going up.
    I hear ya!

If it's a newbie, I will occasionally send them an email and politely explain the goofiness of their actions.

I'm always surprised to see seasoned eBayers bidding early. I guess they have deep pockets and figure they can scare of the nibblers.

Still makes no sense to me. Why give your competition the better part of a week to convince themselves to maybe go a little higher?

Give them no time at all.

But, but nickel and diming, eventually the price will be high enough that it may scare off the competition whereas if they were to not do anything until the end, they may get outbid at the end.

I can see benefits to both sides. It all depends on how bad they want the item and how much they have to blow on it.

Obviously the first poster wants the item in question as well, as they seem frustrated that the price is getting higher and higher, which pushes it further away from the "deal" status that people hope to get on ebay and other auction sites.

Dear Ebay bidders,
    Please disregard this thread. Please bid early and often.

thanks,
    Both-Teams-Played-Hard (seller name)

There was a nicely used Ben Zobrist D-Bat bat on ebay a couple of months ago that sold for $102.50 . I checked the winning bidders (who could not stop bidding during the week) feedback and he bought only Zobrist cards and stuff . Obviously he wanted the bat badly , but like you say Vintage deputy he couldn't wait . Every time he was out bid , he would place another bid . The winning bidder obviously cost himself more money for the bat .

If I see an item I want I will place the minimum bid and just before the auction ends I will increase my bid accordingly ....
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Dear Ebay bidders,
    Please disregard this thread. Please bid early and often.

thanks,
    Both-Teams-Played-Hard (seller name)
    Sure...I agree you would think this way as the seller.

I have never used a snipe service but once when I was selling something on ebay, I had a very well known bat collector/dealer tell me that the service didn't work and then he actually scolded me for not contacting him first to sell the bat before I put it on ebay. I laughed off his "verbal spanking" as whining by a spoiled brat but ever since then I have been hesitant to use a snipe service. I use my own ridiculously high bid as my sniper. Has anyone else here ever had a "misfire"?

Could it be that they're probing...trying to find out the maximum of the bid ahead of theirs?

Banned

I tell ya what. I just picked up a Jeff Kent Giants game used bat hammered with good use on ebay today. Got for 190.00 which is a bargain. I would have had it for a measly 125.00 but one dude bid last second and jumped me to 190.00. I offered the seller 250+ shipping earlier to end auction and he said ok, and then never ended it. So I saved some dough. Bidders and buyers are little strange sometimes on ebay.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    ok, this is a pet peeve.

I'm watching a few items and every time I look, its up another $5-10. Doesnt everyone use a snipe service these days and just set their maximum bid or at least put your max bid in with ebay?
    I can't figure that out either. Let's see...I want an item...so why not keeping uping the bid on myself so I can pay more. Never could understand why people do that. I do realize you have your jokers out there who bid just to bid. And oh yes, those pesky shill bidders.

I do agree with you. It doesn't make sense bidding with 6 days left on something you want.