Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody on Here Collect Baseball Cards?

I was just wondering how much crossover there was between people who collect sportscards and those who collect game-used items. Do any of you collect baseball cards, or do you limit it to just game-used memorabilia?

Re: Anybody on Here Collect Baseball Cards?

I started collecting cards when I was a kid (72 Topps). I have complete Topps sets from 74 to date and buy 2 sets a year, one for me and one for my 10 year old son since he was born. I used to buy the other co's but it got to be redundant.

I have a Topps football set from 1973 (the year I was born) to 1991 (the year I graduated high school). I also have a bunch of single cards, mostly from the 70's and 80's. I really don't buy them anymore, but they still have great personal value to me. As much as I like them though, they could never compare to game used items for me.
    Scott Harpt
    scott_harpt at yahoo dot com
    Always seeking Cecil Cooper, Ben Oglivie, and Gorman Thomas

I've been collecting sports cards since 1972. I picked up my first Game Used piece, a (1993 Juan Gonzalez Game Used Bat. Still collecting sports cards, I then picked up these Game Used pieces: 1993 Juan Gonzalez Game Used Cleats, Ball Cap, Fielding Glove, and 1992 Jersey. I found myself looking for Game Used memorabila more than cards due to the fact sports cards were getting way too many and expensive with all the inserts. I thought it was much nicer to have a piece of something a player used, than sports cards. I still collect both, but not as many cards as in the past.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I had been collecting cards focusing on vintage rookies and cards of the Big Hurt...when I stumbled onto some Thomas game used items and now I find myself more into collecting game used items. I will say this much, it is a little easier displaying cards then actual game used items thats for sure!!!!!!!

As a longtime collector of vintage baseball cards, all card collectors I know and know of also collector other memorabilia such as autographs, signs, posters, equipment, photos, etc. Though a minority I know deal much with game used.

Banned

I started off collecting Topps Baseball cards since I was a kid then I thought it was cool when Donruss came out and Upper Deck, It was still not too bad financially to collect Then Upper Deck released the first autograph inserts, I believe it was only 5 random Nolan Ryan autographs in an early 90's set and it sky rocketed from there with autographs #d inserts and then game used peices. When they came out with the Game Used inserts I only collected my favorite Darryl Strawberry and even leaned away from collecting all other baseball cards that were recent and started going after 50's and 60's Yankees Topps cards especially 1961 Yankees Topps. As I was collecting the Darryl Strawberry game used inserts, I said to myself why buy a tiny piece of Jersey for $5 when I can own a whole Jersey for a few hundred. "And a Game Used Collector was Born" lol lol

I collect vintage baseball and football cards (older than 1980)

I collect T201 Mecca Cigarette cards from 1911 and I have just started on the "Monster" (T206).

Rob L

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    I collect T201 Mecca Cigarette cards from 1911 and I have just started on the "Monster" (T206).

Rob L

Rob,

good luck with the T-206's. That is a monster set,especially if you go for all the different backs.

Jim