PDA

View Full Version : Hobby reform @ MEARS

kingjammy24
08-14-2007, 02:59 PM
interesting posts over at mears. (this is purely my personal opinion but i can't help but think that the antics of doug allen have had a huge influence on these policy decisions).

http://www.mearsonline.com/news/newsDetail.asp?id=302

some input from rob lifson:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/426247/thread/1186529911/MEARS+Auction+House+Work+for+2008

rudy.

Eric
08-14-2007, 04:04 PM
This is a tremendous step. I applaud Dave for his policy and for MEARS for holding auction houses to these standards. It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

As a footnote, I thought one of Dave Grob's final comments should be noted

"All I can offer is that right now I know for a fact there are other “outside forces” looking into this industry in a very serious manner. My only hope this that the industry/hobby can reform itself and on its own."

sammy
08-14-2007, 04:27 PM
I give a big THUMB'S UP to MEARS.

It is about time someone and / or company who is in a position to actually influence, even if it is via financial penalties, trying to straighten out this very crooked line leading to many auction companies and individuals.

To many shady individuals and / or companies have gotten away with garbage for to long.

Shine the light on the cockroaches!

harpt
08-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Even if it doesn't shine any light on any unsavory past practices, it should make it more difficult for folks to be cockroaches in the future. I like that it is proactive.

ahuff
08-14-2007, 07:02 PM
My absolute disdane for Lampson COA's has been offset by MEARS spectacular decision. I've long been a collector that refuses to bid on any item with a Lampson COA.

I can only imagine the fear and freedom that went through MEARS when they reached this decision. I'm in an industry where extreme pressure is put on us, by our clients. It has been like that for decades. Now, the government is beginning to get involved. I know this is a very risky move for MEARS, and might initially hurt them. However, I applaud them, and want them to know that it was a much needed step. In addition, I want any auction house that uses them to know that they will have my business, in the future.

earlywynnfan
08-15-2007, 05:25 PM
FANTASTIC!!!

I know Mr. Jensen from Vintage reads (or used to read) the forum. I sincerely hope he subscribes to this; I've always felt he ran a great auction house, and I'm sure his ethics match these.

Ken

Eric
08-19-2007, 04:01 PM
nice piece about this topic from the daily news

Hobby exec calls for industry cleanup

BY MICHAEL O'KEEFFE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 4:00 AM

Dave Grob, the policy director at Memorabilia Evaluation and Research Services, is pressing hobby leaders to clean up their cut-throat industry. For years, memorabilia executives have agreed that something needs to be done, although they have continued to act as if forged autographs, doctored baseball cards and other rip-offs are an irreversible fact of life.

Last week, Grob announced new policies on his company's Web site that he believes are a first step in cleaning up the hobby. If his clients don't take those steps, Grob says, it's only a matter of time before authorities do it for them.

"Right now I know for a fact there are other 'outside forces' looking into this industry in a very serious manner," Grob wrote. "My only hope this that the industry/hobby can reform itself and on its own."

Grob told the Daily News last week that the hobby's future is at stake. "This is a commodity market, and people buy based on trust and confidence in the process," he said. "This is an unregulated, multi-million dollar industry. It is interstate commerce. If people sour on sports memorabilia, they'll spend their money somewhere else."

Auction houses that wish to work with MEARS will have to sign contracts by Nov. 10 agreeing to several conditions, including:

Auction houses must disclose when they own or have a financial stake in an item.

No shill bidding: Auction houses will not let employees or family members bid on lots owned by employees. Consigners will not be allowed to bid on their own items.
Auction houses will include MEARS grades in catalogs, even when grades are unfavorable.
Auction houses will identify repairs and modifications made to an item to improve its value and appearance.
The policy requires auction houses to maintain detailed records; Grob said the companies will be periodically audited to ensure compliance. Houses that don't live up to the agreement would be barred from using MEARS' services for several years and could face other penalties.

Grob said MEARS authenticators Dave Bushing and Troy Kinunen - both also work as memorabilia dealers - have followed those principles for several years.

"Sales are phenomenal this year," Grob said. "People like the transparency of the MEARS process."

The only sports memorabilia executive who has jumped on board so far is Robert Lifson of Robert Edward Auctions, but Grob said he hopes the 10 or 12 largest auction houses sign on before his deadline.

"If Rob is the only person who says he's on board, than Rob will be the only auction house MEARS works for next year. It's all or nothing in 2008."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/08/19/2007-08-19_hobby_exec_calls_for_industry_cleanup.html

icollectDCsports
08-19-2007, 04:15 PM
Standup move by MEARS. It will be interesting to see which auction houses reject their conditions. Should be telling.

Though I wonder how anyone can know for sure if an auction house lives up to a promise not to engage in shill bidding.