PDA

View Full Version : Louisville Slugger 125S

sylbry
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
What is the story with these types of bats? I would imagine they were store model but why is the designation "125S." What difference between the regular 125 store models and the 125S.

The particular bat I am thinking of is an Eddie Mathews model S2. The word "special" is written on the barrel where "genuine" usually is.

It is something I have always wondered and thought this would be the place for an answer. The thread on the Eddie Mathews coaches bat reminded me of this questions.

Thanks for your help.

Bryan

MSpecht
01-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi Bryan --

Here is the info you are looking for, reproduced from the book BATS --Professional Hillerich & Bradsby and Adirondack 1950-1994 co-authored by Malta, Fox, Riddell, and Specht, published in 1995.

"H & B has recently started producing bats with labeling and pro model numbers, replicating the look of an H & B pro model player bat of an era for a particular player. For instance, when Pete Rose is signing bats at a hobby show, you may notice the show promoter selling bats with labeling and model numbers identical to bats that Pete Rose used during his career.

H & B produces a variety of these replica bats, available through H & B retailers, dealers, and collectors for commemorating an event or for signing by the player. They are obviously new bats made of new wood and are often stamped with an S designating souvenir, or have an underlined 125 in the oval label...However H & B produced some replica bats without any souvenir designations which have surfaced in the hobby as game used pro model player bats. Again, you cannot rely solely upon labeling and model numbers alone. Focus on quality and color of the wood, the quantity and quality of the game use, the source of the bat, and, when in doubt, ask to have an expert authenticate the bat for final approval."

--BATS, Malta, Fox, Riddell, Specht. Off The Fence Publishing. 1995. pp 59-60

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

sylbry
01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
Mike,

Thanks again for your help. I really need to read that book.

Bryan

mjkm90
01-24-2006, 06:55 AM
When the center brand has a 125S or special it is indicating that it is not a pro model bat. These were made with a lower quality of wood than a 125 and usually a bit narrower barrel. The repros you refer to are different.

Mike H