PDA

View Full Version : 500 Hr Items Opinions.........

JETEFAN
08-14-2007, 09:13 AM
I would like to get your input on the following. With all the steroid issues that have come up over the past few years involving the recent 500 HR members (Bonds, Sosa, Palmiero, Mac etc) I need your opinions on the following. I have several autographed 500 HR items signed by the typical 10 or 11 guys (Williams,Mantle,Aron,Mays,Jackson,Schmidt,Banks,M attews,Robinson,Mcovey and Murray) Would you guys add the new steroid generation members to those items?

Thanks
George

Vintagedeputy
08-14-2007, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't.

Here's my thinking - While they may have all hit 500 home runs, there is a large number of people who have their opinions on whether the homers were tainted by steroids. Who knows what MLB may do down the road. If Big Mac came out next week and admitted that he used steroids and there was an uproar, he records may be striken from the records book, or asterisked.

I look at it this way. If you have a ball signed by the classics (Mantle, Banks, Williams etc), those guys were in a different class. Adding a Palmeiro to that would lower the value in my mind. If you are not concerned with value, then you will have to decide for yourself.

David
08-14-2007, 10:09 AM
I think you should do it whichever you want. Just because a celebrities are controversial doesn't mean their autographs are worthless. As an autographed item, I don't believe adding the sigs of Palmeiro, Sosa, McGwire and Bonds would lower the value-- in fact, I believe it would raise the financial value. Whether you find their sigs aesthetically or historically appealing is personal.

David
08-14-2007, 10:19 AM
I agree with vintagedeputy that if the only new signature you can get is Palmeiro's I would skip it, as it likely would lower the value.

worldchamps
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
No way...don't do it

Start a new ball with guys who are more recent....eventually there would be too many people on the ball...so put all the crooks on 1 ball.

sammy
08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
It would be like adding Pete Rose to a single signed Ty Cobb ball.

Sure there is a connection, but it is a totally different class of individuals in terms of value and collectible appeal.

Anytime I have an original 11 signed item, it never enters my mind to have any others sign it.

Yankwood
08-14-2007, 11:02 AM
I would like to get your input on the following. With all the steroid issues that have come up over the past few years involving the recent 500 HR members (Bonds, Sosa, Palmiero, Mac etc) I need your opinions on the following. I have several autographed 500 HR items signed by the typical 10 or 11 guys (Williams,Mantle,Aron,Mays,Jackson,Schmidt,Banks,M attews,Robinson,Mcovey and Murray) Would you guys add the new steroid generation members to those items?

Thanks
GeorgeIt all depends. Would you piss in a glass of fine wine?

cjw
08-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I like the urine/wine analogy....

Don't do it. Keep the ball and add the other guys to another ball if you like.

metsbats
08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd add them only if they got into the HOF.

-David