PDA

View Full Version : Double Ear Flaps for early 1980's Batting Helmets?

SSB15
08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Has anyone ever seen a photograph of a major league player from the early 1980's using a batting helmet with 2 ear Flaps?

metsbats
08-12-2007, 04:46 PM
As a Met fan during the 80's these two gentlemen were the most prolific wearers of double flap helmets.

David

33bird
08-12-2007, 06:55 PM
If you were referring to the George Foster helmet on ebay, I would stay away. I searched and searched and couldn't find him wearing a 2 flap helmet anywhere. Maybe somebody else would have better luck, but I couldn't find even one.
Greg

R. C. Walker
08-12-2007, 07:35 PM
I do not have photographic evidence at this time, Steve Garvey (Dodgers) and George Foster (Reds) have worn double flapped helmets at one point during their career.

I am not claiming that the one on ebay is authentic or not.

33bird
08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I'll need some proof of this for George Foster. I went thru every photo on gettys, corbis, yahoo images, every ebay item, and all my Reds books and couldn't find ONE photo of him in double flaps. I'm not saying it wasn't done, but I'll need at least one photo showing him wearing a full helmet with the 2 flaps.
Greg

metsbats
08-12-2007, 08:28 PM
The only players who would need a double flapped helmet would be switch hitters like Coleman and McGee. Foster was a right handed batter and would not have a need for a double flapped helmet.

David

R. C. Walker
08-12-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll need some proof of this for George Foster. I went thru every photo on gettys, corbis, yahoo images, every ebay item, and all my Reds books and couldn't find ONE photo of him in double flaps. I'm not saying it wasn't done, but I'll need at least one photo showing him wearing a full helmet with the 2 flaps.
Greg

I am going on memory and understand that provides no proof. Unfortunately, the auction will end before anyone finds a photo. He only wore it for a few months as I recall and I don’t know the circumstances on why he did. This has my curiosity up. I’ll keep looking.

The only players who would need a double flapped helmet would be switch hitters like Coleman and McGee. Foster was a right handed batter and would not have a need for a double flapped helmet.:rolleyes:

David

A very simplistic theory. I have provided a photo of Garvey with a double flap helmet. I was going on memory and decided to have a little fun. Found the photo. Don't believe Steve was a switch hitter? I don’t know the circumstances on why he decided to go with the double flaps. He also did for a short period of time in the early ’80’s.;)

metsbats
08-13-2007, 05:58 AM
R.C.

Nice photo find. You are correct Garvey was not a switch hitter. One can only imagine why he would be wearing a double flapped helmet.

David

metsbats
08-13-2007, 06:05 AM
Here's an article in UniWatch regarding players using double flapped helmets particularily non-switch hitters. No mention of anyone offering evidence Foster was included though they may not been able to find any proof.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060427

David

metsbats
08-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Here's an article in UniWatch regarding players using double flapped helmets particularily non-switch hitters. No mention of anyone offering evidence Foster was included though they may not been able to find any proof.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/060427

David

This page is from ESPN Uniform-alities and not UniWatch as i orginally indicated.